What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 257 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I love Barrett era Floyd, and I love Barrett's solo stuff too. Wonderfully English!

Have you seen this on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261590513704?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It's the sax I hate. To be honest, there is very little sax I like outside of jazz.

You're very contrary*biggrin*

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=contrary

I'm not sure I agree, but there are elements of myself within it's definition.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Well, it's good to have you back. *smile*

As for DSOTM, it's a bit overrated, but it's the best Floyd album outside of the Barrett era. I neither love it or hate it, though there are parts I love, and there are parts I hate.

The Barrett Era = 1 album = Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
ifor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

As for DSOTM, it's a bit overrated, but it's the best Floyd album outside of the Barrett era. I neither love it or hate it, though there are parts I love, and there are parts I hate.

Yeah, he departed before 'Saucerful Of Secrets' was finished. Although 'Piper' was a landmark album, and turned me on to the genre, I feel their better 'stuff' lay ahead

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jon Hopkins – Immunity
Burial – South London Boroughs EP
Burial – Burial LP

I still think that first Burial LP is a work of utter brilliance, apart from the Spaceape's contribution.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ifor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

And A Saucerful Of Secrets, some Barrett tunes on there.

I like Barrett's solo albums more than anything that came after Saucerful, and that includes DSOTM, there's some wonderful tunes on those.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Just out of interest Bernie, what do you think of Roxy Music's first album?

Not heard it, and probably won't, bit too much sax in there for my liking. I absolutely love The Stooges, but even they shoved a bit of sax on a few tunes, and I just find it grating in anything but Jazz.

Everyone goes on about the sax in Baker Street, but I hate it, I do love the guitar break though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
I've never owned a copy of Dark Side or even listened to it in its entirety.

Good for you!

Charlie Jefferson said:
Should I?

No. Definitely not.

Even though I own it, and play it very occasionally, I'm in total agreement with you.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Listen to early 90's Porcupine Tree, that's all the Pink Floyd you need to listen to.

Meddle is my favourite PF album, even allowing for the hideous Kop segment
wink_smile.gif

Going against the prevailing wind on here, I can think of a lot worse things to listen to than DSOTM. Have a listen, you know you want to.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Playing the rather wonderful Hovercraft - Experiment Below

That reminds me, I promised myself to check that out. Will do it tomorrow.

Both Experiment Below and Akathisia are absolutely awesome, but for the sonically open-minded only. I think you'll like them.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Not heard it, and probably won't, bit too much sax in there for my liking. I absolutely love The Stooges, but even they shoved a bit of sax on a few tunes, and I just find it grating in anything but Jazz.

Everyone goes on about the sax in Baker Street, but I hate it, I do love the guitar break though.

Yeah, I find the sax part on Baker Street a bit cheesy these days. Anyway, abandon your prejudice for a moment and check out this Roxy tune. Clarinet and sax feature and for me, add so much character.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Yeah, I find the sax part on Baker Street a bit cheesy these days. Anyway, abandon your prejudice for a moment and check out this Roxy tune. Clarinet and sax feature and for me, add so much character.

Sorry Freddy, it just didn't do anything for me. I'm very hard to please these days.

I do like this Roxy tune though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFF2oB4n6M

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Sorry Freddy, it just didn't do anything for me. I'm very hard to please these days.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

A pity, since it was a critically acclaimed album. Indeed, some have touted it as the best debut album of all time in the modern era. I have to wonder if you go against the flow for the sake of it?

BradfordBantam

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I love this section of the forums.. and the shopping one too... always introducing me to artists I've never come across.

This morning I have some Bob Dylan (who I have heard of!) on.. his Greatest Hits album (UK edition, 1967).

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
A pity, since it was a critically acclaimed album. Indeed, some have touted it as the best debut album of all time in the modern era. I have to wonder if you go against the flow for the sake of it?

That's an odd comment. What has other people's opinion to do with whether any individual likes a particular piece or form of music? I mean, I can't stand the Beatles, Bob Dylan or Pink Floyd, to name but three, which stands me against the majority of people who like pop/rock music. Am I therefore doing it just for the sake of taking a different stance? I thought it was just because I don't like that music.

I'm sensing perhaps there's some long-standing personal animosity between the two of you, in which case I've probably been a bit silly in commenting.

Oh, I do like the first five Roxy albums, by the way, although I detest most of the covers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Freddy58 said:

I'm sensing perhaps there's some long-standing personal animosity between the two of you, in which case I've probably been a bit silly in commenting.

It's in the past as far as I'm concerned.

And no Freddy, it's not for the sake of it. I like what I like, and Mr Ferry's voice isn't included in that list.

TRENDING THREADS