What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 253 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
FSL00684.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Ruts - The Crack

Ruts_-_The_Crack_CD_album_cover.jpg

Doris - Did You Give The World Some Love Today, Baby?

doris-did-you-give-the-world-some-love-today,-baby-lyrics-7339.jpg

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The promos are listed in a separate master because they're counted as 12" singles rather than LPs. http://www.discogs.com/Can-Sacrilege/master/212220

You've got the best track (A Guy Called Gerald) and the worst (Westbam). You're missing a couple of the other standout tracks - the 'Dizzy Spoon' mash-up, the Sunroof mix of Oh Yeah (with a bit of d&b thrown in for good measure), and the Sonic Youth version of Spoon. I'd say the whole set is well worth investing in, there are only a couple of weak tracks on it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've owned the records since they were released, in fact, probably a few weeks before they were released, and I still haven't played them. I should.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tonight:

Edgar Broughton Band-'Wasa Wasa.' I'm in a muddy field and it's 1969.

Steamhammer-'Reflection.' Criminally neglected British blues/psych lp from 1969. Inventive, imaginative, melodic, psych effects, great songs and vocals and incendiary guitar. Should have been number one with a bullet. If you like this sort of thing check out the single, 'Junior's Wailing.' on youtube...give you some idea.

Syd Barrett-'The Madcap Laughs.'

Pink Floyd-'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.' Mono.

Hippy night then.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Edgar Broughton Band-'Wasa Wasa.' I'm in a muddy field and it's 1969.

'Wasa Wasa', heard it back in the day, but don't recall it now. I should look out for it.

Jim-W said:
'Junior's Wailing.' on youtube...give you some idea.

Checked it out, not bad. The singer reminds me of someone?

Recent records...

All About Eve - All About Eve

ELO - Discovery

Cat Stevens - Teaser And The Firecat

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene (Well, I like it
thumbs_up.gif
)

I still have to sort out all my vinyl, so lots to look forward to.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello Freddy. The singer probably reminds you of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, especially on 'A Song For Jeffrey' from 'This Was.' It's that same singing through a megaphone type of thing going on. Yeah?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hello Freddy. The singer probably reminds you of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, especially on 'A Song For Jeffrey' from 'This Was.' It's that same singing through a megaphone type of thing going on. Yeah?

Hiya Jim.

Yes, quite similar, but no, that's not it. That voice seems so familiar, just can't put my mind to it. Pretty sure it's a blues/blues rock singer. It'll come to me...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Black Jazz Signature - Theo Parrish curated comp.

Jim, I need your guidance here. I love all of these tracks, some are the best instrumental jazz-stylings I've ever heard. (I haven't lived that much in this terrain, you see). Who are these guys? Calvin Keys (I presume he's the fire and mercury guitar player on these tracks), Walter Bishop Jr, The Awakening, Rudolph Johnson et al. All artists on Black Jazz Record label, for sure, but could you recommend any LPs by these people?

Another Side Of Bob Dylan (mono)

My first ever Bob album bought when I was 15. I loved the comical, satirical songs then and struggled with the love and politics. Now, it's slightly different.

Love & Theft

Time Out Of Mind

For me, the very best two of the last quintet of studio LPs.

Looking forward to the official release of the much bootlegged "complete" Basement Tapes, although I was disappointed it wasn't the definitive edition of Blood On The Tracks in all it's mulitple takes glory.

Jim, as for Hard Rain, yes it's a pretty poor capture of the RT tour, easily trumped by 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue Official Booleg Series vol. 5. I love that gypsy-chic.

School on Monday!!!

So in preparation for that and in celebration/commemoration/commiseration of my 50th birhday I'm heading to London for three days of beer, vinyl-hunting and Old Vic theatre with a select cadre of friends.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie...happy birthday...whenever it is...you're not a Virgo are you?! As you turn 50, I shall be turning 60 and I'll be in Cornwall with Rachel, my daughter.

I don't know enough about Black Jazz to recommend records; however, I do like Walter Bishop jr but I think you'd be better off looking at allmusic for their recommendations: I find they're usually pretty good. Really sorry I can't help; in fact, I need to investigate this area too because it's a real gap in my knowledge. I have a feeling the records may be pretty scarce since I haven't come across any.

Love 'Another Side Of'...I can see it from here....played it last night.

Oh 'Time Out Of Mind' is something else. I think, good though the other reasonably recent Bob Dylan records have been. Maybe it's Daniel Lanois' production, which I think is brilliant: dark and crepuscular. It's certainly my recent favourite and captured my imagination like his earlier stuff used to do. It's probably the darkest, most wearily-resigned record that I have ever heard and Bob's singing is brilliant throughout...great lyrics too.

I love gypsy chic too; I must get hold of Bootleg Series Vol 5 as I haven't got a copy. I was recently thinking of selling up, buying a hippy van and just buggering off: I always said I would when I retired. Thing is, I can't drive! Maybe I'll paint my bike in psychedelic colours and head of into the sunset. What do I do with all these damn records though?!

Hope you find something nice in the record shops of London...and don't drink too much.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
St Ives and Carbis Bay based. 13th to 21 Sept. Maybe a bit longer.

I'm going tomorrow morning until the following Friday. Will definitely travel to St Ives one day, and then probably on to Land's End.

We're struggling to find many places to visit, as we did a lot of the north coast 5 years ago. Any ideas?

We've been to Bude, Tintagel, Padstow, Boscastle, Clovelly, Port Isaac, and the Eden Project.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
We're struggling to find many places to visit, as we did a lot of the north coast 5 years ago. Any ideas?

We've been to Bude, Tintagel, Padstow, Boscastle, Clovelly, Port Isaac, and the Eden Project.

Between St Austell and Mevagissey there's 'The Lost Gardens Of Heligan'. Maybe make a day of it and visit there and Mevagissey?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In St Ives there's the Tate Modern of course. If you like walking leave your car in St Ives and there's a gentle walk to Lelant on the costal path...about 3 miles...great views. Highlight is the Badger's Arms pub in Lelant...good pub meals and brilliant puddings! On the other hand there's a much stiffer walk along the costal path to Zenor, about 7 miles, with really spectacular views. Highlight is the Tinner's Arms, a great old real ale pub with good meals. Problem is, you gotta walk back; you don't have to though because there's a bus!

If it's a nice day swim in the beautiful sea at St Ives...wonderful!

These are a few of my favourite things, BBB.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In heavy rotation today for some reason:

Velvet Crush-'Teenage Symphonies To God.'

The Posies-'Frosting On The Beater,'

Must be on an early 90's nostalgia kind of trip. Great records though.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I posted this over on the this week I've been listening to thread, but this is nore appropriate I believe.

I have just got my NAD 533/Rega/Goldring Elektra back up and running after years of hibernation, I have just completed setting up the arm, tracking, alignment and Isolation etc. So plonking a bit of random vinyl on it in the 'I used to like this... I wonder......' kind of way, so here goes.

Damned-Damned Damned Damned
Gene Loves Jezebel-The House of Dolls
Paul Young-NoParlez
Curiosoty Killed the Cat-Get Ahead
Cocknet Rejects-Greatest Hits Vol 1
Fields of Nephilim-The Nephilim
LA Guns-Cocked and Loaded
Joe Strummer-Earthquake Weather
Madness-One Step Beyond
Everything But The Girl-Idlewild and Worldwide
Mary Coughlan-Uncertain Pleasures
Deacon Blue-Raintown

Most of my LPs are still in great condition and they sound great, however, since going digital, I really don't miss the clicks and stopping to turn the disc over. I hope that the sound of the vinyl drags me in and makes me happy once again.

Currently the NAD 533 outputs to a phono amp, into my Alesis IO4 (for a bit of extra gain and the headphone out is really clear etc) which outputs to my Linn Classik, which then outputs to a pair of Mission M70s (all right next to my home office desk - very nice)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts