What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 252 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
See, I don't get what the big deal is, with Dylan. There, I said it.

Me neither. And I've actually tried over the past three years to give him a real chance.

Friends of mine and I have a concept of 'the dylan' which is an artist (or album) you know is supposed to be wonderful and which everyone else goes loopy over, but which does absolutely nothing for you (or makes you actively retch). See also The Beatles and The Smiths for me.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
thescarletpronster said:
Sparks – Kimono My House
I love this album.

It is a cracker. First time I'd heard it. Will be playing it again soon.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jean-Michel Jarre - The Essential (played most of side one, that was plenty)

Propaganda - A Secret Wish (nearly all the way through)

John Coltrane - Coltrane Jazz ( first 2 tracks, then I realised I wasn't in the mood for jazz)

Led Zeppelin - IV (side one only)

Anti-Pasti - The Last Call (all the way through, splendid stuff)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Pink Floyd - Division Bell 180g reissue

Tangerine Dream - Richochet

Tangerine Dream - Summer in Nagasaki

The Orb - Live 93

Orbital - Brown Album

Orbital - Wonky

Nitin Sawnhey - Prophesy

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Last night

Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session

Today

Benjamin Booker - Benjamin Booker

The Amazing Snakeheads - Amphetamine Ballads

The Horrors - Luminous

Mark Lanegan Band - No Bells On Sunday ep

Breton - War Room Stories

Television - Marquee Moon

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie. I wondered where you'd gone!

Yes, I prefer the acoustic side of 'Bringing It All Back Home' to listen to for the unbelievable 'spew of poetics' ; Dylan himself, in an interview, said he has no idea how he wrote those songs and said it would not be possible for him to write like that today, whenever that 'today' was. A few years ago, now, I guess. Like much of his early lyrical outpouring, this is mercurial stuff; I tend to think it just 'came' to him as it's presented because any editing would be obtrusive and the listener would notice the artifice or the deliberate attempt to create an effect: I never notice such artifice which is why I think it just arrived 'whole' if you get my drift. It's seamless, but I guess that could be an illusion because he is just a great writer. It's all those images for me: the metaphors, the allusions, the conceits etc. I just wonder how anybody can write like this: it's virtually impossible and the proof is that it's never been matched. He's also extremely well-read and intelligent of course.

I've still not managed to hear 'Another Self Portrait' but my record bloke is on the case. Might have to get it off ebay because I'd love to hear it. I read in 'Record Collector' that they've discovered a whole new slew of acetates from this period and much of it is different from even 'Another Self Portrait.' What I wouldn't give to have those: not the tapes, but the genuine acetates. My God!

Just wanted to let you know that the Drama group I went in to help achieved 100% A-C grades! 11 bright kids so it was always a possibility. I sill can't believe it though. Hope you're enjoying your holidays.

Regards.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding, this is Roy Harper comparing the simplicity or apparent ease with which birds, and I suppose, by extrapolation, the animal kingdom, conduct their relationships compared to our rather messy attempts. I can read these words and hear the descending bass pattern of a B minor chord, but, unfortunately, other readers will not. That's why I think rock or folk lyrics don't really cut it on the printed page. Having said that, 'Me And My Woman' is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have heard: it reduces me to tears on a regular basis.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Passions - 30,000 ft Over China

Television -Marquee Moon

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

The Cramps - A Date With Elvis

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi Charlie. I wondered where you'd gone!

Yes, I prefer the acoustic side of 'Bringing It All Back Home' to listen to for the unbelievable 'spew of poetics' ; Dylan himself, in an interview, said he has no idea how he wrote those songs and said it would not be possible for him to write like that today, whenever that 'today' was. A few years ago, now, I guess. Like much of his early lyrical outpouring, this is mercurial stuff; I tend to think it just 'came' to him as it's presented because any editing would be obtrusive and the listener would notice the artifice or the deliberate attempt to create an effect: I never notice such artifice which is why I think it just arrived 'whole' if you get my drift. It's seamless, but I guess that could be an illusion because he is just a great writer. It's all those images for me: the metaphors, the allusions, the conceits etc. I just wonder how anybody can write like this: it's virtually impossible and the proof is that it's never been matched. He's also extremely well-read and intelligent of course.

I've still not managed to hear 'Another Self Portrait' but my record bloke is on the case. Might have to get it off ebay because I'd love to hear it. I read in 'Record Collector' that they've discovered a whole new slew of acetates from this period and much of it is different from even 'Another Self Portrait.' What I wouldn't give to have those: not the tapes, but the genuine acetates. My God!

Just wanted to let you know that the Drama group I went in to help achieved 100% A-C grades! 11 bright kids so it was always a possibility. I sill can't believe it though. Hope you're enjoying your holidays.

Regards.

Hi Jim,

Wow, congratulations on your Drama group's success. Our 90 Dramatists "scored" a 60% A-C pass rate. About 10% below predicted targets but hopefully I'll manage to avoid being marched off to the gulag. We'll see.

Yes, I recall reading that Dylan interview where he talked about the writing process for those incredible songs. What do you think of the 1975 Rolling Thunder shows? (Official and boot versions). I love the interpretations of those early to mid 60s songs. (cf. It's All Over, It Ain't Me, less so Blowin' In The Wind).

His voice in the mid 70s, both live and studio, is a chimerical mix of weariness and wonder. The band stoke some ragged, eastern-European folk magic into my least favourite Dyaln song, Just Like A Woman. (cf Woody Allen's rapier sharp demolition of that song's lyrics in Annie Hall or was it Manhattan).

I'm rambling. . .again.

Yes, me too on those acetates. Another other Self-Portrait.

Some vinyl and other discs of recent days:

Dust Sucker - Cpt. Beefheart

Fake Lights From The Land EP - Richard Hawley

Sunshine - Smoke Fairies

Follow The Lights - Ryan Adams/Cardinals

Still Crazy After All These Years - Paul Simon

Goo - Sonic Youth

Limited Edition - Can

Dire Straits debut LP

Axis: Bold As Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Artistry in Jazz - Stan Kenton

Sleight Of Hand - Joan Armatrading

Yo Frankie - Dion

London Town - Wings

Night And Daydream - An Anta

Special Herbs - MF Doom

Under African Skies - Various from 1980s BBC programme

oh, and The Best Of John Denver

Commune - Goat

Doug Tuttle

Morgan Delt

Country Style - Tom & Smiley

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie. Well 60% is 5% better than our usual Drama results so congratulations, especially with a group that size.

Rolling Thunder? Hmm. I love the idea of it, that gypsy kind of thing but I think the music was just ok to be honest. 'Hard Rain' is pretty sloppy and the other stuff I've heard is much better than the official release; on the other hand, 'Desire' is one of my favourites. If you haven't heard Van Morrison's 'Just LIke A woman' from a Pacific Studio bootleg 1971 or something like that, it's on youtube and easy to find: I think it's the best Dylan cover I've ever heard. Yes, the Woody Allen scene...brilliant.

Great playlist....I'm a big fan of 'Axis' which is my favourite Jimi Hendrix record. The first Dire Straits lp was regarded as very cool when it came out and I still think it's a great record. It's the only one of theirs I've got though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits (Peter Green era)

Kate Bush - The Whole Story

Bauhaus - Press The Eject And Give Me The Tape

Codeine - Frigid Stars LP

Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973

Pan Sonic - A

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Aerial on vinyl? Lucky boy.

Today:
Fela Anikulapo-Kuti & Africa 70 – No Agreement
Fela Anikulapo-Kuti & Egypt 80 – Original Sufferhead
Steve Reich and Musicians – Music for 18 Musicians

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Can – Sacrilege (3xLP)

I have a promo copy of this, but I've only got two records. Wondering if the promo had less tracks or what?

My tracklsting is:

Record 1 side A

1. Tango Whiskeyman (a guy called gerald mix)

2. Unfinished (hiller/kaisler/leda mix)

Record 1 side B

1. Blue Bag (Inside Paper) (toroid mix)

Record 2 side A

1. Vitamin C (U.N.K.L.E mix)

2. Yoo Doo Right (3P mix)

Record 2 side B

1. Future Days (blade runner mix)

2. And More (westbam mix)

I guess I'm missing some tracks. *sad*

Discogs don't even list the vinyl promo. http://www.discogs.com/Can-Sacrilege/master/22840

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Cecil Taylor-'Unit Structures.'

Tina Brooks-'True Blue.' Hopefully, one day, Teeny will be given his props. One of the very greatest tenor players.

Carla Bley-'Escalator Over The Hill.'

John Surman-'How Many Clouds.'

Red Garland Trio-'Groovy.'

Osibisa-'Happy Children.'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

For anyone who is interested, Wounded Rhymes by Lykke Li is currently available on Amazon. I'm not sure if this is a re-issue, but I have noticed the occasional copy showing on ebay recently, after it being really hard to find under £100. I have a feeling that they've found some copies in a warehouse somewhere, so it might not be around for long.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts