What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 251 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Pale Saints - In Ribbons (I still love this album)

I preferred Comforts of Madness, both great albums though. My favourite of theirs was the Flesh Balloon ep.

The XX - XX

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

Wu-Tang Clan - The W

Foals - Total Life Forever

Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

Belly - King

Jungle - Jungle

The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - Between The Ditches

Savages - Silence Yourself

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Last night, some drones:
Bass Communion – Litany
Bass Communion – Ghosts on Magnetic Tape
Exhaust – Enrégisteur

Today:
Neneh Cherry – Blank Project
Can – Landed
Bass Communion – Litany (again)
Anna Calvi – Anna Calvi
New Order – Power, Corruption & Lies
R.E.M. – Murmer
Roxy Music – For Your Pleasure

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Lamb - Lamb

Cover-lamb.jpg

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Just seen the great american movie called The Buster, "rock'n'roll ******" movie on White House butler Eugene Allen (played by Oscar-winner. the great Forest Whitaker) with a great Lenny Kravitz on the part of another butler. The soundrack is very, very good, and now I listen something that was part of the movie:

People's Choice - We Got The Rhythm (1976)

It was them second record, after the great success of Boogie Down, the 45 coming out the year before. I prefer this record to the first one, even if I obviously bouth the first one after I heard and loved this second.

When I was a kid boy (well not that kid, I was 18) and used to live in Paris, I bought this record at Marchés aux puces de port de Guyancourt. Many kids like me and other rockers and funksters in Paris in those years, used to look for second hand records in that fantastic market, on saturday afternoons, full of vinyls. I bought this record and I learned all the rhythm guitar parts in the following months!!! For me Darnell Jordan is pretty much important like Keith Richards!

Great deal and maybe this is why this record in a bit cranky (I literally played it millions of times), then it still sound great to me even with all those click and pops. Very very good memories. I especially remember when in late afternoon every saturday, in the seventies and in the eighties, a bunch of arabian guys used to come in the market with bags full of american funky records ready to sell them to us waiting for them outside the normal circuit of the sellers in the market!!! We were waiting for those guys like junkies were waiting for pushers!

If some fellows parisian read this can maybe remember those wonderfull moments!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Tommy Chase–Ray Warleigh Quartet – One Way
Tommy Chase Quartet – Drive
The Fall – Hex Enduction Hour
Gregory Isaacs – Mr. Isaaccs
Neneh Cherry – Raw Like Sushi
Bhundu Boys – Tsvimbodzemoto
Curtis Mayfield – Super Fly
Björk – Volta

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
husker+du+new+day+rising.jpg

Freddy58, posting an image now is easier than it used to be. Just hit the image icon above the posting box, and enter the URL there. I don't know how to upload your own images, or even if you can do that, but if you can find it on the web, you can post it. Note that you have to use a valid image URL (usually ending in .jpg or .gif) - not a URL for a web page containing the image you want to link to. You can usually get this by right-clicking on the image and selecting 'Copy image URL' or whatever your browser gives as the equivelent option.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sam Rivers-'Involution.'

Art Blakey-'Indestructible.'

John Martyn-'Bless The Weather.'

Grateful Dead-'Workingman's Dead.'

'Another Side Of Bob Dylan.'

'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.' Play this record and it's 1963 like you can touch it, taste it and feel it. No more silly love songs after this one. The most important record ever cut.

Bob Dylan-'Self Portrait.' Listening to this out of context, free of the zeitgeist it's a friendly warm bath of a record. Hated it at the time though.

Mike Westbrook-'Love Songs'

Free-Tons Of Sobs.'

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Sam Rivers-'Involution.'

Art Blakey-'Indestructible.'

John Martyn-'Bless The Weather.'

Grateful Dead-'Workingman's Dead.'

'Another Side Of Bob Dylan.'

'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.' Play this record and it's 1963 like you can touch it, taste it and feel it. No more silly love songs after this one. The most important record ever cut.

Bob Dylan-'Self Portrait.' Listening to this out of context, free of the zeitgeist it's a friendly warm bath of a record. Hated it at the time though.

Mike Westbrook-'Love Songs'

Free-Tons Of Sobs.'

Excellent words in praise of Freewheelin', Jim. I agree.

My most recent (the day before yesterday) Dylan epiphany was when I was listening to Side Two of Bringing It All Back Home (mono). Yes, the electric side is rumbunctious, belligerent, playful and iconoclastic but it's the flip side that lays waste to ALL words previously uttered in the context of a mainstream LP in the "pop" context. The spew of poetics is mesmeric. Half or casually listened to there are sufficient wonders to behold. A palette fully laden enough. Yet, fully engaged in and scrutinised this is something "other than", "beyond", "transcendent" in terms of ideas, conceits, wordplay, allusions and the rest. And what a voice. What a sense of rhythm in his delivery. An excoriating, at times trance-like, but utterly riveting sound.

Oh, and I've also been playing Self-Potrait too. i echo your words. Did you ever get chance to hear last year's revisionist take on that period of St.Zim??

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Over the years albums come and albums go, played to death for a week or two, then filed away for ages. However, there are a select group of records that I own that get played on a regular basis ( Groundhogs/Split & TCFTB, Television/Marquee Moon for example) and will do until I shuffle off this mortal coil. This is another...

Audience+-+The+House+On+The+Hill+-+LP+RECORD-420650.jpg

.. totally unclassifiable, just like Roxy Music's debut album . Is it pop, rock, classical, jazz, prog? Elements of everything in the mix, it's just a sublime recording that sounds as good now as it did when I first bought it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts