What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 249 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Hmm, they're so under-rated I've never heard of them. Will have to check it out.

Sly & The Family Stone – There's a Riot Goin' On

Check them out, it's a great album.

Try the Hovercraft one too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lwhru7W5Tg

And what a corking Sly album that is, love it.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Chris Issak - Wicked Game

I kid you not, vinyl sounding this good has no right to do so - or maybe my system is singing and my new Benz cartridge is settling down!

Love it !

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Nice eclectic list, Charlie. Which John Mayall is it?

I meant to ask when you last posted what the Daevid Allen solo lp was like? Never heard his solo stuff although, like all good hippies, I'm a huge Gong fan.

I need some more Art Of Ensemble Of Chicago records but they're damn hard to find these days.

Mono Sgt Pepper every time for me.

Hope you're having a good holiday.

Hi Jim,

That Daevid Allen LP is a nicely, quirky, oddly menacing in places (or maybe that's just me!) affair. Lots of Gong-related themes, sone lovely playing and a big dollop of holier than thou in the mix to boot.

The John Mayall is the classic "with Eric Clapton", which I'd forgotten I had. What a storming album. Both of it's time and timeless. I believe you listed the mono version awhile ago. I bet that's quite some listen.

My Berlin friend really got me sold on Art Ensemble and did me a complete discography across many CD-Rs. This is my first actual vinyl. An incredible concert performance from 1972(?), I think.

Yes, the holiday is a good one. We're finally getting somewhere with our house (re)build. My eldest daughter is London bpund for University, so ithere's lots of preparations and anticpation in the air.

Hope you're also enjoying your first holiday of active retirement.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
thescarletpronster said:
Hmm, they're so under-rated I've never heard of them. Will have to check it out.

Sly & The Family Stone – There's a Riot Goin' On

Check them out, it's a great album.

Try the Hovercraft one too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lwhru7W5Tg

And what a corking Sly album that is, love it.

Hi BBB,

I still haven't purchased the other Hovercraft LP. I must track down a copy pronto.

Did you take a punt on the latest Woods LP, btw?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Did you take a punt on the latest Woods LP, btw?

It had completely slipped my mind. I've just found the complete album on you tube, so I've downloaded it to see if it's worth a vinyl purchase.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie. My daughter went to university in London too and had a great time so don't worry too much; then she went to New York for a while and I'm sure she'd live there if she could. Now that is just too far away.

Whenever I read people slagging off Eric Clapton, I think of his playing on that record and I want to say,"OK, show us what you can play." He may lack taste occasionally ( not on that record), but he is a brilliant guitarist by any standards.

Daevid Allen sounds right up my street-I'll look out for it.

Best of luck with getting your house sorted out.

I've just started thinking ie worrying about exam results. Ha! What a life!

All the best.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Wet, wet, wet so:

John Surman-'How Many Clouds Can You See?'

John Surman-'Such Winters Of Memory.'

Ray Charles-'What'd I Say.'

Free-'Tons Of Sobs.'

Andrew Hill-'Lift Every Voice,'

Grateful Dead-'Aoxomoxoa.'

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I love Primitive Origins, but never liked Prong after that. Went to their first UK gig, man that was amazing.

Today, just a couple of LPs as it's been a full day:

Dexys Midnight Runners – Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Cloud Boat – Model of You

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It's been far too long since I last played this.

$_35.JPG

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Wet, wet, wet so:

John Surman-'How Many Clouds Can You See?'

John Surman-'Such Winters Of Memory.'

Ray Charles-'What'd I Say.'

Free-'Tons Of Sobs.'

Grateful Dead-'Aoxomoxoa.'

Great playlist Jim.

Yes, my daughter is very keen to embark on her London adventure. My wife's taking her down soon. (I'll stay with our two small boys). I'm due down in November and she's promised me an afternoon of vinyl hunting if we dine out in some style somewhere and see something at the NT or Old Vic. Sounds a good deal to me.

Sounds:

A returning mild obsession with this particular Bob album:

Slow Train Coming

Surely one of his best sounding LPs. Embrace, ignore or reject the God-tinged lyrics and enjoy the high quality songs. Plus, Man Gave Name To All The Animals is fast becoming a drive-time favourite with my two lads.

Blue Train

Still Crazy After All These Years - Paul Simon

Best OF Quicksilver Messenger Service

Designer Beatnik - Dr. Calculus

Metal Box - PIL

Desire - Bob

Judy, Judy, Judy Live at Carnegie Hall - Judy Garland

Therapy - Loudon Wainwright

"Jimi" - Soundtrack recordings from the Hendrix documentary

In Dub - The Bush Chemists

Geogaddi - Boards Of Canada

We Are Reasonable People - Warp comp.

Speedway - Elvis

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It's been far too long since I last played this.

Great LP. It's the one, alongside Boatmen's Call, that convinced my wife that Mr.Cave was actually "quite good". She's less enamoured of The Birthday Party or Grinderman though. They get lumped together with a whole miscellany (inc. The Fall, Beefheart, Hovercraft, NY& Crazy Horse, anything Warp-ish, rap/hip-hop. . . )and labelled "unpleasant noise".

My punishment last night was having to watch all of Les Mis on DVD with both a straight face and zero commentrary. I failed.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
My punishment last night was having to watch all of Les Mis on DVD with both a straight face and zero commentrary. I failed.

*lol*

That's a very severe punishment Charlie.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim-W said:

I've been wanting to find out more about Andrew Hill and hear more of his music. Is that one of his best LPs?

Sigur Rós – Hvarf
Sigur Rós – ( )
Stanley Clarke – School Days
The Fall – This Nation's Saving Grace (probably my least favourite Fall LP up to 1987).

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I wouldn't say it's one of his best records but it's certainly one of his most interesting; 'Point Of Departure' is probably one of his best and I like 'Judgment!'' and 'Black Fire' too: cerebral compositions with his angular and brilliant piano.

'Lift Every Voice' happened at a time when Blue Note seemed to release jazz and voice records, maybe it was trendy. Bobby Hutcherson's 'Now' is a beautiful jazz and voice record with the wonderful Harold Land on sax.; Donald Byrd's 'A New Perspective' is another one which has its admirers; I'like the record but the sleeve is something else: I could write a book about that sleeve. One day I might just do it.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Are You Experienced & Axis Bold As Love will be served first & second this evening. Followed by Jonathan Wilson's Gentle Spirit and a bit of Spacemen 3 for pudding.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm an avid listener to Radio Paradise and one of the current bands that they play regularly, and that I really enjoy is The War On Drugs.

Popped into Fopp Records today and bought myself their Lost In The Dream album..

41f440f9.jpg

.. sounds good so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts