What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 247 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your beautifully written reply, Charlie.

So we share a love of tea too eh?! So funny. Hope your stresses and strains diminish soon. It's life and life only, he pointed out rather tritely.

Today I've listened to:

The Kinks-'Something Else' (Mono)

Wes Mongomery-'Movin' Along'

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy-'The Great Conspiracy.' Lovely hipyy stuff.

I actually enjoyed them all; it was a blessed relief and release after doing my mum's garden in this blazing hot weather we're having. Can't stand the heat.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had an urge to play a bit of Hendrix this morning, but alas apart from a rather battered and scratched copy of Smash Hits I don't own any JH on vinyl. Radio Paradise was just playing Angel and I've not heard that particular song for years.

Just had a quick look on Amazon. So many options, so many different versions/re-masters. Where does one start?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I recently picked up Electric Ladyland on reissue. It is nicely packaged, with anti-static inner sleeves, colour booklet and gatefold sleeve. The vinyl plays very well. It's on the Experience Hendrix/Legacy label and was released in 2010. I think I paid £18 for it.

i always hankered after one of the early versions but couldn't justify the cost.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Thanks for your beautifully written reply, Charlie.

So we share a love of tea too eh?! So funny. Hope your stresses and strains diminish soon. It's life and life only, he pointed out rather tritely.

Today I've listened to:

The Kinks-'Something Else' (Mono)

Wes Mongomery-'Movin' Along'

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy-'The Great Conspiracy.' Lovely hipyy stuff.

I actually enjoyed them all; it was a blessed relief and release after doing my mum's garden in this blazing hot weather we're having. Can't stand the heat.

British people in hot weather (as commemorated in a Fall song): we're mostly a sorry bunch, aren't we? I can't abide it either and never clamour for high grade temperatures. Whether it's my record collection, my German genes or my Northern upbringing I'm resolutely in favour of cooler climes and snow days.

I'm really pleased you found some musical comfort in your post-gardening playlist. The Kinks in mono sound great, don't they, particularly that fine album.

I'm intrigued by your "lovely hippy stuff" LP. I think you've listed it a few times. Must be good.

Last night/this morning:

Sgt.Pepper (mono)

Geogaddi - Boards Of Canada

Selected Ambient Works - Aphex Twin

Electric Avenue (Extended Dub Mix) -Eddy Grant

Go West/In The Navy - The Village People

Go West - Pet Shop Boys

Overture To "Performance" 12" - Pet Shop Boys

(Did anybody listen to their BBC Prom debut last week? The above track was played live for the first time, followed by Chrissie Hynde singing "Four Songs In A Minor", actually four of their rather beautiful slower songs from down the years. The main part of the show was their 45 minute spoken word meets choir meets electronics & orchestra piece about Alan Turing, A Man From The Future. Ruminative, explorative, interesting)

In Hearing Of Atomic Rooster

Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

(well actually Side 1, track 4 repeatedly until I faded)

And thank you for your words.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie, I think I've probably used 'lovely hippy stuff' on numerous occasions! I'm an old hippy at heart. Peanut Butter Conspiracy are a bit Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver and HP Lovecraft which ticks all the right boxes for me. Oh it's dated and the hippy lyric content was no doubt recommended by the record company but I don't much care: I still love it!

As for 'Idiot Wind', have you heard the very slow organ and pedal steel version? I have it on a bootleg called 'Joaquin Antique.' It's one of the most beautiful things that I've ever heard. There are a few versions I know but this one is unbelievable: very moving and different words. You probably know it but if you don't I'd suggest some googling. Starts with an acoustic guitar and you can hear one of his buttons hitting the guitar!

Atomic Rooster!!! Haven't played them in years! Actually, I don't think I've got any to play. I had'In Hearing Of' but sold it when I was a student. Vincent Crane was damn good.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Last night with a nice malt:

Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll

Dexter Gordon - Go

Today:

Bellowhead - Revival

The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

Luke Haines - New York In The '70s

Strand of Oaks - Heal

The Antlers - Familiars

The Amazing Snakeheads - Amphetamine Ballads

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Jonsi - Go

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
The Cramps - Stay Sick

David Bowie - Earthling

Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day

The Horrors - Luminous

Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks (not heard this since I got the Era Gold and the Nagaoka, wow - so much more going on than I ever remember. Sounds so good, alive, bass deeper, fuller. Alternatively it could be the Balvenie Doublewood!)

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie, I think I've probably used 'lovely hippy stuff' on numerous occasions! I'm an old hippy at heart. Peanut Butter Conspiracy are a bit Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver and HP Lovecraft which ticks all the right boxes for me. Oh it's dated and the hippy lyric content was no doubt recommended by the record company but I don't much care: I still love it!

As for 'Idiot Wind', have you heard the very slow organ and pedal steel version? I have it on a bootleg called 'Joaquin Antique.' It's one of the most beautiful things that I've ever heard. There are a few versions I know but this one is unbelievable: very moving and different words. You probably know it but if you don't I'd suggest some googling. Starts with an acoustic guitar and you can hear one of his buttons hitting the guitar!

Atomic Rooster!!! Haven't played them in years! Actually, I don't think I've got any to play. I had'In Hearing Of' but sold it when I was a student. Vincent Crane was damn good.

Hi Jim,

I will search immediately for that boot of Idiot Wind. I've got a stack of Dylan bootleg tapes and CDs but I don't recall that one. For many, many reasons (events at Uni 30 years ago, life in my mind 30 seconds ago, to name but two), it's my essential therapeutic howl of recent times.

Vince Crane rules!! A rather silly LP in terms of it's Tap-esque lyrics and moods but what a sound the band made and whoever produced it made an amazing job of placing Mr Crane's playing within the mix.

Thanks again fro the Zim tip!!

I'm visiting my older brother up in the Lakes this week and he has a marvellous stash of his own lovely hippy stuff and more, so I'll see if he has or knows some of your mentions.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Nice playlist, BBB.

Thank you Jim.

Just played Echo & The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here, now playing Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, and yesterday (or was it the day before), played Psychomania - OST/John Cameron, a quite fantastic soundtrack, to a quite fantastic film.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
John Cameron! Wow! I've got one of his records: The John Cameron Quartet-'Off Centre.' Great British jazz and he's a wonderful pianist. I think I remember reading he did film soundtracks. Nice one.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
...Lame Impala

The whole thing plodded along lurching from side-to-side until it finally expired.

Disappointing, both in terms of the tracks and the album's overall sound quality. My ears were fatigued after the first two tracks. I stuck it out for the whole LP but had to wind the treble down. It's odd, because I had the opposite issue with their previous album and had to boost the treble.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
John Cameron! Wow! I've got one of his records: The John Cameron Quartet-'Off Centre.' Great British jazz and he's a wonderful pianist. I think I remember reading he did film soundtracks. Nice one.

It's an amazing soundtrack Jim, and copies aren't cheap, but definitely worth having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LfK3X5IMk

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well that youtube clip was certainly interesting. Very atmospheric. Nothing like his jazz records! I'll look out for a copy. Cheers.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My Bloody Valentine-'isn't anything.'

Soundgarden-'Superunknown.'

Man-'Slow Motion.'

John Coltrane-'Africa Brass.'

Fairport Convention-'What We Did On Our Holidays,'

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Bloomfield-Kooper-Stills - Supersession (Columbia original LP, 1969)

This is an original USA copy on vinyl, red label, cover very solid, like only americans were able to do. The vinyl was well protected on a plastic bag, it is still near mint after all this years and all this play. I have bought it new in the USA in 1976 if memory serve me well!

The sound is fantastic, especially side one where the great Bloomfield is a giant of taste well supported by Kooper on an incredible organ.

I think the soundstage of this recording, and of many american recordings of that years, is really fantastic, they knows how to record a disc and there is no comparison, totally there isn't with the actual digital recordings.

I still have to hear a proper sounding electric guitar or organ recorded with digital equipment, then this is another story.

Great album, great listening experience.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
During the last few days and nights:

Now Is The Happiest Time Of Your Life - Daevid Allen

Little Red Record - Matching Mole

Dondestan - Robert Wyatt

Theme From Godfather et al - Al MArtino

Heartbreaker - Free

Vol 1-3 Bootleg Series - Bob Dylan

Over-Nite Sensation - Frank Zappa

Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan