What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 245 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My local auction house is selling a gold disc of The Smiths - The World Won't Listen which was presented to Andy Rourke. I've no idea of the reserve price, but has anyone got an idea of it's value?

Auction is tomorrow morning.

For anyone that's at all interested, it had a reserve of £400 and sold for that price. With commission and VAT, the total the winner paid was £448.

I wonder if he will play it?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Love the Comic Strip too, Charlie. Glad you fancy a stab at the Tap classic: what fun that would be though.

'The Original Gerry Mulligan Quartet featuring Chet Baker'

Family-'Family Entertainment.'

Miles Davis-'Sketches Of Spain.' Mono. Much prefer the mono-sounds like a band playing and Miles is louder.

Smokey Robinson-'Warm Thoughts.'

Billy Nicholls-'Love Songs.' His well-known and impossibly rare record, 'Would You Believe' now valued at £4,000! Would I sell my grandma's wooden leg to get hold of a copy? Probably. Definitely.

The Dillards-'Back Porch Bluegrass.'

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Off to Latitude Festival next week so playing music I will hopefully hear: Anna Calvi - Strange Weather epJungle - JungleThe Phantom Band - Strange FriendGoat - Live Ballroom RitualThe War on Drugs - Lost in the DreamThe Afghan Whigs - Do the BeastTinariwen - EmmaarAugustines - AugustinesDamon Albarn - Everyday RobotsParquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal Now time for the footie

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
DB Coopoer - Buy American (Warner Bros LP, 1980)

This underrated record is a pure gem of American New Wave. DB is a singer songwriter guitarist backed by a tight band, a cross between the first Elvis Costello and the first Tom Petty with The Heartbreakers.

Songs are so sharp, guitars so poppy and loud, he sings out loud and straight, too bad this record is just a cult for a spare number of people and never been reissued on CD.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
He he he I follow myself :) Just been back and I picked up from my extended LP library the super classic Pearl by Janis Joplin and the Full Tilt Boogie band.

We are still in Frisco (also DB Cooper was from Frisco if memory serve me well) and this copy was played by me thousand time. I think I bought it new like in 1973, so a little late, then it is an original Columbia pressing on Columbia groove and it sound perfect. This is one of the demonstration, IMHO, any cd remaster of this great classic album can't stay side by side with this original vinyl copy.

God bless you Janis.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Oh ok, it's me again. This evening I'm listen to:

Spirit - The First Album 1968

This is Randy California/Ed Casidy band. This album was recorded in 1968 and I have to admit in the past I was thinking it loose focus on some too jazzy interludes. Now ,even if I think, The Family That Plays Together is still the Spirit best album, I do appreciate this record a lot more.

Too bad I do not own a Columbia USA original copy. I just bought this in 1979 in London, so it is a reissue UK pressing and it doesn't sound too dynamic to me compared to a good USA pressing, then the groove of vinyl still pay his dues to this mix of electric and acoustic instruments.And it works great, also compared to the CD reissue I also own.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
MaxD said:
Oh ok, it's me again. This evening I'm listen to:

Spirit - The First Album 1968

This is Randy California/Ed Casidy band. This album was recorded in 1968 and I have to admit in the past I was thinking it loose focus on some too jazzy interludes. Now ,even if I think, The Family That Plays Together is still the Spirit best album, I do appreciate this record a lot more.

Too bad I do not own a Columbia USA original copy. I just bought this in 1979 in London, so it is a reissue UK pressing and it doesn't sound too dynamic to me compared to a good USA pressing, then the groove of vinyl still pay his dues to this mix of electric and acoustic instruments.And it works great, also compared to the CD reissue I also own.

Good album, complete with the track that Jimmy Page ripped off for Stairway To Heaven.

Soup D

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon a Time / The Singles

The very definition of 'all killer, no filler'. A perfect compilation LP, 5 singles on each side from their birth to their peak. Over 30 years later and I've never been tempted to get another Siouxsie compilation.

Soup D

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Jim-W said:
Listening to Throwing Muses albums all day and night because my daughter has discovered that she shares a birthday with Kristin Hersh!

'The Real Ramona.'

'House Tornado'

'Hunkpapa'

We are also swooning over, 'Vauxhall And I' our fave Moz record.

Throwing Muses are touring in September with Tanya Donelly as special guest

And I'll be there.

Had a conversation recently about under-rated guitarists. Kristin Hersh was top of my list. One hesitates to suggest her gender has any part to play in her incredible guitar craft being overlooked, I prefer to think it is simply over-shadowed by her even greater songwriting art.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Soup D said:
jimbofisher said:
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon a Time / The Singles

The very definition of 'all killer, no filler'. A perfect compilation LP, 5 singles on each side from their birth to their peak. Over 30 years later and I've never been tempted to get another Siouxsie compilation.

Twice Upon A Time is rather good too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
allman-bros-live-fillmore.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
One of our favourite Friday night records when we got drunk on two bottles of Newcastle Brown after school:I'd be 17 or 18. In a class of its own and surely the greatest live album ever recorded. Well, I think so anyway.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It's all gone a bit 1989... Must be the beer...

(Gotta say the Nagaoka MP-200 does metal very well)

Holy Terror - Mind Wars, massively underrated 1988 thrash on Under One Flag

Sabbat - Dreamweaver, 1989 on Noise Records, got to see them live a couple of years ago. Superb.

Coroner - Punishment For Decadence, Swiss thrash on Noise from 1988

Sacred Reich - The American Way, 1990

Autopsy - Mental Funeral, say no more

Entombed - Left Hand Path, original 1990 Earache release

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts