What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 239 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
This one, as I Love LIVE Albums!!! And this RP6 / Goldring Elite COMBO rocks! Love MC carts, the detail, the sound stage is out of MM carts.

My next and final upgrade.............

Icon Audio PS2 phono &

MC Cart - possibly Benz Micro Ace

Nice call! But a DV-20X2 or a DYNA 17D3 would give a run for the money against the Benz micro Ace... Don't forget to demo if possible.... :roll:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Led Zeppelin -the first three albums.

The recent reissues prompted me to spend some time with these records. My record collecting buddy hates them with a passion, mainly because of the way in which they ripped off the great blues artists by avoiding compositional credits and their bombastic and histrionic bludgeoning of the blues. I haven't played them for about 20 years or thereabouts so I tried to listen with fresh ears and with the context removed ie I bought the first album when I was 15 and loved it, didn't like the second and quite liked the third, which was not well-received by the critics.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed them all, but what really impressed me was the sheer power of the band: John Bonham's drums in particular; if only Page had played with the delicacy he displays on 'Since I've Been Loving You' more often, if only Plant had toned down the squealing and caterwauling but hey, it was a long time ago and things were different then: heavy blues-rock was the way to go. I was ready to laugh out loud at 'Whole Lotta Love' but when the riff kicks in and Percy wails about his parts and Bonham's drumming thunders in it's nigh-on irresistible. 'Ramble On', 'Tangerine', 'Good Times, Bad Times' and 'Gallows Pole' are still great songs; some of the others, not so great.

I want to listen to them again and, when there's a break in the football, I will:I'm looking forward to it. My favourite Zeppelin tracks? 'Custard Pie' and 'The Rover' from 'Physical Graffiti.'

Just my opinion;other opinions exist.

I've always loved, nay, worshipped Zep. From my pre-teen infatuation with Zep IV through many mutations of appreciation. I didn't hide my love when Joy Division and New Order ruled the sixth form turntable back in the early 80s. Lost track of Percy's solo career after the third album, but never gave up on the sheer wonder - bombast and all - of their records.

In no particular order, my top ten Zep songs:

Ramble On

Immigrant Song

Since I've Been Loving You

The Rover*

Sick Again

Hats Off To Harper (if that's what it's called. Last track on one side of Zep III)

Fool In The Rain

Communication Breakdown

Good Times Bad Times

Lazeretto - Jack White**

* the layers of Page as the song evolves, then the sweet release of a solo that is as poetic as it is economical.

** you know what I mean.

Currently listening to:

Z - MMJ

Lazeretto - JW

Vauxhall & I - Moz

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I want to listen to them again and, when there's a break in the football, I will:I'm looking forward to it. My favourite Zeppelin tracks? 'Custard Pie' and 'The Rover' from 'Physical Graffiti.'

Just my opinion;other opinions exist.

I'm with you there Jim, The Rover is my favourite LZ track too.

The drumming on Physical Graffiti is just about the best recorded rock drumming I can think of, stunning stuff.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing 180g Reissue

I can't stop playing this - its a bloody masterpiece.

I urge everyone to buy it while they can!

i've the original pressing, it was given to me by the landlord of the home we rented in Amsterdam last April among other 3 Lps:

- Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around

- Electrical Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue

can't remember the 4th...

i was already with my luggage full of Lps 41 at total and this extra 4 were a nightmare as i was afraid I had to pay overload... But all went fine!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Carnivals - Blue Note Compilation

Mogwai - Les Revenants

The Undisputed Truth - Cosmic Truth

Purson - The Circle And The Blue Door

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Belo Horizonte - John McLaughlin

Greatest Hits - Steve Miller Band

MJQ with Laurindo Almeida

Love & It's Opposite - Tracey Thorn

Bend Sinister - The Fall

My current fave MES LP. By an inch over,

Grotesque (After The Gramme)

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
See, I don't get why people should be apologetic when it comes to Led Zep. They had an amazing sound, and totally transformed blues appreciation in this country, for me at least. As for personal attacks on someones appearance, I find that somewhat childish. Musicians have to look a certain way? Bah! Stop whinging, and enjoy!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
See, I don't get why people should be apologetic when it comes to Led Zep. They had an amazing sound, and totally transformed blues appreciation in this country, for me at least. As for personal attacks on someones appearance, I find that somewhat childish. Musicians have to look a certain way? Bah! Stop whinging, and enjoy!

+1

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nothing better on a Saturday than a bike ride, a cup of tea and a big fat piece of cake with your mum and trawling through crates of records. Last night and this morning:

Jah Wobble's Invaders Of The Heart-'Rising Above Bedlam.'

Procol Harum-'Procol Harum.' Mono. Looking for this for years. Be still, my beating heart.

Tyrannosaurus Rex-'A Beard Of Stars' Blame John Peel and my rather whimsical nature.

Various CBS artists-'Underground'70.' German CBS sampler on beautiful purple vinyl. Spirit, Moby Grape, The Flock etc.

Quintessence-'Self.'

Yep, I'm a damn hippy.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
As for personal attacks on someones appearance, I find that somewhat childish. Musicians have to look a certain way? Bah! Stop whinging, and enjoy!

I agree, but I wouldn't revert to personal attacks if he payed his dues. He's a thief. End of.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
As for personal attacks on someones appearance, I find that somewhat childish. Musicians have to look a certain way? Bah! Stop whinging, and enjoy!

I agree, but I wouldn't revert to personal attacks if he payed his dues. He's a thief. End of.

BBBB BigBadassBernardBresslaw innit. Yo!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hows the Nag

Great so far, thanks. Listening to "Ghosts Outside" this morning by Steve Mason & Dennis Bovell, the horns seemed to originate from somewhere way outside the right-hand speaker - not had that before.

Without wishing to sound cliched, words that spring to mind when I describe the MP-200 are; smooth, detailed, open & full. Make of that what you will!

:cheers:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

You are ill-informed

i am a bit confused too, I'm 46 - not a massive Zep fan but had IV on CD for years (cant wait for the reissue) - just bought all the remasters to see what all the fuss is about!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Waxy said:
stevebrock said:
Hows the Nag

Great so far, thanks. Listening to "Ghosts Outside" this morning by Steve Mason & Dennis Bovell, the horns seemed to originate from somewhere way outside the right-hand speaker - not had that before.

Without wishing to sound cliched, words that spring to mind when I describe the MP-200 are; smooth, detailed, open & full. Make of that what you will!

:cheers:

wider soundstage is a charactertisric of the Nag

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
71zwKg7SaXL._SL1300_.jpg

Rhino records 180g re-issue and I'm quite pleased.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts