What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 236 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
A nearly all-day vinyl session, I've so far listened to the best bits of these Beach Boys LPs:

Holland

Sunflower

Surf's Up

Love You

Followed by, from what I can remember :

Blood On The Tracks - Bob

John Wesley Harding - Bob

Walk The River - Guillemots

Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens

All Delighted People - Sufjan Stevens

Ill Communication - Beastie Boys

Copper Blue - Sugar

Can Cladders - The High Llamas

Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe - Lloyd Cole

Southpaw Grammar - Moz

Stay On These Roads - A-ha

Ramble On - Zep

And currently, Untitled Blues - Albert Ayler (on loan from my father in law)

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
After an enjoyable 8 mile walk in the beautiful sunshine this morning, I'm sitting down with a cup of tea -

ABBA - Greatest Hits

providing a suitably joyous soundtrack.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Last night my brother was round as we had been to Brighton, I picked up a large number of preorders and he picked up a couple for himself, so over wine and whisky last night we listened to:

Rodrigo y Gabriela - 9 Dead Alive

Miles Davis & Thelonious Monk - Miles & Monk at Newport

Beck - Morning Phase

Today to show off my system to him

Grandmaster Flash - The Official Adventures of Grandmaster Flash

Now beginning to work through my purchases

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

The Black Keys - Turn Blue

The Horrors Luminous

Plenty more to come

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Stacks O' Tracks - The Beach Boys

Surely the greatest instrumental LP of all time???

After an afternoon spent at the nearby Yorkshire Sculpure Park, (personally I can only take so many Hepworths, Moores and Epsteins but what do I know?. My boys enjoyed it so that's enough) I returned to a pre-work booze and vinyl session starting off with selections from more BB LPs:

Surf's Up

Sunflower

Holland

20/20

Wild Honey

Today^

* all the way through because nearly every song is essential listening. And short. Sometimes the two things are synonymous.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Stacks O' Tracks - The Beach Boys

Surely the greatest instrumental LP of all time???

After an afternoon spent at the nearby Yorkshire Sculpure Park, (personally I can only take so many Hepworths, Moores and Epsteins but what do I know?. My boys enjoyed it so that's enough) I returned to a pre-work booze and vinyl session starting off with selections from more BB LPs:

Surf's Up

Sunflower

Holland

20/20

Wild Honey

Today^

* all the way through because nearly every song is essential listening. And short. Sometimes the two things are synonymous.

Haven't played Wild Honey and 20/20 in ages; really must remedy that. Did you buy 'That's Why God Made The Radio'? I did and I think it's ok; in fact, it's better than it has any right to be. A handful of great songs. 'Holland' I've always liked although it got mixed reviews when released.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Today, in between gardening episodes:

Ramsey Lewis-'Wade In The Water.'

Throwing Muses-'House Tornado.

Throwing Muses-'Hunkpapa.'

Various-'Blues Jam At Chess.'

Julian Cope-'My Nation Underground.

Osibisa-'Happy Children.'

Smokey Robinson And The Miracles-'Greatest Hits.'

No, I didn't do much gardening.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

Cope hates it, most people dismiss it, but I actually think it's pretty good. "Fried" and "World Shut Your Mouth" are his best albums IMO, but I can still listen to MNU, and I can't say that for a lot of his stuff.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Cope hates it, most people dismiss it, but I actually think it's pretty good. "Fried" and "World Shut Your Mouth" are his best albums IMO, but I can still listen to MNU, and I can't say that for a lot of his stuff.

Yeah, I know he hates it but what does he know? I like 'Saint Julian' and 'Peggy Suicide.'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Yeah, I know he hates it but what does he know? I like 'Saint Julian' and 'Peggy Suicide.'

I used to love both of those, but I struggle to listen to them now, especially "Peggy Suicide", whereas "Fried" and "WSYM" are just wonderful still.

I was a massive fan, loved him, but I haven't bought anything since "20 Mothers", which was a bit hit and miss.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

e9c9cea6_51wmnrtzvhl.jpg

CS1245280-02A-BIG.jpg

houseoflove_1384521446_crop_550x539.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:

Hi Jim,

Yes I did buy and quite enjoy That's Why God Made The Radio. Having also bought all of BW's solo stuff previously I guessed what kind of sound and songs we would be in for. I really like bits of Brian's Imagination LP. I also had a mini-obsession tracking down the various boots of Sweet Insanity about a decade or so ago.

Being a bit of jazz affiaciando have you heard The Bad Plus' take on The Rite of Spring. I'm intrigued by it. I have several recordings of the Stravinsky orchestral but this latest incarnation is pretty good.

Currently listening to:

The Grand Wazoo - FZ/Mothers

Quite masterful. Or is that my Co-op Czech lager speaking. Either way, I'm enjoying imbibing both. In and at considerable volume.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Soundtrack (RSD Release)

Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal

Eno + Hyde - Someday World

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris

That looks and sounds like a great selection Jimbo, I'm currently coveting all of those LPs. All on a rather long list of wants.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:

Hi Jim,

Yes I did buy and quite enjoy That's Why God Made The Radio. Having also bought all of BW's solo stuff previously I guessed what kind of sound and songs we would be in for. I really like bits of Brian's Imagination LP. I also had a mini-obsession tracking down the various boots of Sweet Insanity about a decade or so ago.

Being a bit of jazz affiaciando have you heard The Bad Plus' take on The Rite of Spring. I'm intrigued by it. I have several recordings of the Stravinsky orchestral but this latest incarnation is pretty good.

Currently listening to:

The Grand Wazoo - FZ/Mothers

Quite masterful. Or is that my Co-op Czech lager speaking. Either way, I'm enjoying imbibing both. In and at considerable volume.

Ha! No, I've never heard that take on 'The Rite Of Spring' although I'm a fan of the Stravinsky. I'll try and find it. I've always srruggled to love 'The Grand Wazoo'; it's fine and well-played but I just can't love it! I do love 'Lumpy Gravy' though.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
jimbofisher said:

That looks and sounds like a great selection Jimbo, I'm currently coveting all of those LPs. All on a rather long list of wants.

'Our Man In Paris' is a great record but I think all of Dexter's Blue Notes are wonderful. 'Go' is a favouite and I have a soft spot for 'Gettin' Around' which features Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. Dexter and Hutch are brilliant together. Check out the languid and soulful 'Manha De Carnaval.' It was the first jazz record I ever bought and the one that convinced me that jazz was where it was at. Mmmm...nice.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
jimbofisher said:

'Our Man In Paris' is a great record but I think all of Dexter's Blue Notes are wonderful. 'Go' is a favouite and I have a soft spot for 'Gettin' Around' which features Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. Dexter and Hutch are brilliant together. Check out the languid and soulful 'Manha De Carnaval.' It was the first jazz record I ever bought and the one that convinced me that jazz was where it was at. Mmmm...nice.

Charlie, they are all great, a very pleasant evening indeed.

Jim, loving the Dexter Gordon, it is from the current 75th Anniversary reissue series, Go is reissued at the end of the month.

Still have a few records I picked up yesterday that I have yet to listen to.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
jimbofisher said:

Charlie, they are all great, a very pleasant evening indeed.

Jim, loving the Dexter Gordon, it is from the current 75th Anniversary reissue series, Go is reissued at the end of the month.

Still have a few records I picked up yesterday that I have yet to listen to.

Hi jimbo

There are a number of Blue Note reissues that I fancy; just wondered where you bought yours, price etc if you don't mind sharing of course! You must buy 'Go'; it's a brilliant Dexter session. He makes it sound so effortless. Genius.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Somehow I'm still in a good mood from the weekend, despite it being a Monday, so decided to continue the ABBA theme -

ABBA - Arrival

ABBA - Super Trouper

ABBA - Voulex Vous

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jim

I buy most of my music from Resident Records in Brighton. I live in Worthing so pop over once a month to collect my preorders and other purchases. A great shop which takes me back to my teens. Took my brother there this weekend he said he could have spent hours in there!

I paid £21.99

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&path=2149&product_id=5611

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Jim

I buy most of my music from Resident Records in Brighton. I live in Worthing so pop over once a month to collect my preorders and other purchases. A great shop which takes me back to my teens. Took my brother there this weekend he said he could have spent hours in there!

I paid £21.99

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&path=2149&product_id=5611

Thanks Jimbo. Sounds like a great record shop. I'll check the link. Appreciate your reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts