What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 235 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A blast from the past..

41nNaj5WmAL__SS500_.jpg

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Remastered Friday Music version of Deep Purple In Rock. First heard the album on casette as a teenager in the mid 80s. It blew me away then, and this version sounds awesome compared to the old CD version I am used to.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
Remastered Friday Music version of Deep Purple In Rock. First heard the album on casette as a teenager in the mid 80s. It blew me away then, and this version sounds awesome compared to the old CD version I am used to.

I have an original copy. Still one of my favourite albums, awesome!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I was always a fan of Fireball. I picked it up along with Machine Head and Who Do We Think We Are from Plastic Wax record shop in Bristol in the 80s. I think I paid £3 each for near mint vinyl. Never found a decent copy of In Rock, so ended up getting the CD instead.

Same thing with Electric Ladyland (on the deck now). Wanted an original copy but the money was silly and ended up going for the CD. PIcked up a vinyl remaster last week. Love it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
That's a great playlist Jim. I don't know of Andrew Hill though, so I'll investigate that one.

Last night/this morning:

Murmur

Up

Possibly the best early and later period REM albums. Up is the CD version. I can't find a reasonably priced vinyl copy in the known universe.

Then a slew of Sufjan Stevens, Ryan Adams and MMJ - all streamed as I steamed. Oh, the joys of musical misery.

Hi Charlie

I wouldn't argue with those REM choices, although I reckon 'Fables' and Life's Rich Pageant' deserve honourable mentions re early stuff. There's a live boot entitled 'We Are Having A Heavenly Time' which encapsulates their early appeal; they were never as good when they moved to the major label.

Andrew Hill is a Blue Note pianist and 'Point Of Departure' is his celebrated 'classic'; 'Judgement' is great too.He's angular and cerebral, a bit Monkish, no, a lot Monkish.

...'all streamed as I steamed.' I did like that! I must listen to Sufjan Stevens; I'm sure I'd like him, having read reviews.

Pageant and Fables are incredible albums, aren't they.

You must give Sufjan a go. Bewilderingly brilliant. Two recommendations: Illinoise and All Delighted People. An LP and a very long EP respectively.

I've lived with and loved both since release. The former gets a much welcome vinyl re-issue in June. Both titles are, for me, masterworks.

Just listened to 'Illinoise' on youtube. It's unbelievably brilliant. How have I lived without this? I'll try and find a vinyl copy from somewhere. Thanks, Charlie.

In that case Jim you really, really need to try the opening track to the All Delighted People EP. All I'll say is prepare to be. . .

I've just listened to it and all I could think about was a speech by Caliban:

'...and then in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
I cried to dream again.'

It makes sense to me. It's a ridiculously beautiful song.

Your quote is very apposite. Perfect, in fact. Yes, ridiculously beautiful in all senses.

The rest is pretty impressive too. I love Heirloom and Enchanting Ghost.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Another odd bunch:

John Coltrane/Milt Jackson-'Bags and Trane.'

Bobby Hutcherson-'Now.' With Vocals/Chorus and Harold Land Quintet. Beautiful record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWlAs_k2sCk

Diesel Park West-'Decency.

Kenny Wheeler-'Deer Wan.'

Pearls Before SWine-'...beautiful lies you could live in.'

John Surman-'How Many Clouds.'

Radiohead-'Kid A.' '

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Larry Coryell-''The Restful Mind.' Makes you realise what a crap guitarist you truly are. Highly recommended. Makes your hifi sound nice as you hang your head in shame.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
220px-DonnaSummer-OnceUponATime-Front.jpg

Donna Summer - `Once Upon A Time` Double vinyl.

For me this was Donna`s and Giorgio Moroder`s finest moment. Co-writer Pete Bellotte deserves a mention too. When this came out Donna was having hits all over the place. Strange thing was that this was a double and actually produced less hit singles than most of her albums? Oh well.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Off to a wedding later, too early to get ready so giving a 1st spin to a recent purchase.

Badbadnotgood - III

I can't say I know a lot about jazz but a friend recommended this as it's got a heavy hip-hop influence and he was spot on I'm a little bit in love. If you like jazz or hip-hop you should have a look.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Jim-W said:
ifor said:
It's A Beautiful Day (Speaker's Corner rerelease arrived today from Pure Pleasure)

I'm playing this now but mine's an old CBS copy. Great album,

i have two copies I bought second hand last year, but they're not brilliant. I also bought it on CD not so long ago, but I hankered after a good vinyl copy. I didn't know there was one available, but happened upon it on the web earlier in the week. It is excellent. Very pleased!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts