What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 232 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chandra

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Jazz Classics in digital stereo issued by BBC records in 3 volunes with digital transfer techniques of the sound from direct-cut 78's made more than 65 years ago. Bought them on Record Day from Soul Brothers of Putney staffed by a very helpful band of brothers.:cheers:

Simply facinating to listen with all those scratches and ticks ironed out.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
I'm intrigued, I'm going to have a listen to it tonight after work. See how far through it I can get :)

Just under a minute I reckon. :)

Well I'm on to track 3 Eighteenth Century Variations On A Theme By Mozat:Divertimento..... :?

I think you may have a point Jim

Keep going, DIB, it gets funnier! It doen't get any better though. :(

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
A vaguely varied selection, so far this evening:

The Life Pursuit - Belle & Sebastian

Ball Of Eyes - Placebo

Time - ELO

Neu 2

Stay On These Roads - A-ha single

Hi Charlie. I noted the A-ha single. is it cool to like A-ha?! I always presumed it wasn't so of course I think they're a vapid teen-appeal band of little or no merit in public; in private, 'Memorial Beach' is a beautiful record. If you haven't heard it, give it a go: it's a dark masterpiece. There. I said it. There goes whatever cred I had left.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tonight:

Oregon-'Distant Hills.' Truly great.

'No Nukes' 3 lp 1979. Various bands/solo peeps ie Doobie Brothers, Tom Petty, Broooooce, Gil Scott-Heron, Jackson Browne,Crosby, Stills and Nash, Bonnie Raitt etc. Dug it out of a pile in the loft. It's remarkably well-recorded and the performances are top-notch. It's not all great stuff, but well worth a listen every couple of years or so.

Man-'Back Into The Future.' Great live record; studio set is ok. What a great live band.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Stay On These Roads - A-ha single

Hi Charlie. I noted the A-ha single. is it cool to like A-ha?! I always presumed it wasn't so of course I think they're a vapid teen-appeal band of little or no merit in public; in private, 'Memorial Beach' is a beautiful record. If you haven't heard it, give it a go: it's a dark masterpiece. There. I said it. There goes whatever cred I had left.

I have quite a soft spot for them too. I was quite keen to see them on their farewell tour, but my wife wasn't interested, and the tickets had sold out, so very pricey.

I think they were (probably) unfairly labelled as a teen band, though the quality of their output varies greatly. I'll check out that track, as I don't think it's on any of the albums I have (the first 2 and the greatest hits).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

'No Nukes' 3 lp 1979. Various bands/solo peeps ie Doobie Brothers, Tom Petty, Broooooce, Gil Scott-Heron, Jackson Browne,Crosby, Stills and Nash, Bonnie Raitt etc. Dug it out of a pile in the loft. It's remarkably well-recorded and the performances are top-notch. It's not all great stuff, but well worth a listen every couple of years or so.

Man-'Back Into The Future.' Great live record; studio set is ok. What a great live band.

Your comment about the No Nukes LP made me realise it's almost time to dig out my copy. It's been about two years too.

As for A-ha, I always liked his voice and their sound. When there's a great, sweeping tune thrown in too, it's irresistible. BBB, I'm pretty sure Stay on These Roads is an early-ish single. My brother (a devotee of both Man and Tony McFee/McGee(?), btw) is a great admirer of mid to late period A-ha and has been known to wax lyrical about Memorial Beach too. I think you're both on to something.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The best of A-ha, isn't really the best of. There are some awful tracks on it, stuff like "Touchy" and "You Are The One" are pretty poor, but "Hunting High & Low", "Stay On These Roads", "The Sun Always Shines On TV", and especially "I've Been Losing You" are great.

It's the voice, the chord changes, the melancholy, that makes them good, though my wife just can't see it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB, I'm pretty sure Stay on These Roads is an early-ish single.

It is Charlie, and a corker it is too, I was referring to Memorial Beach which Jim recommended.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Your comment about the No Nukes LP made me realise it's almost time to dig out my copy. It's been about two years too.

As for A-ha, I always liked his voice and their sound. When there's a great, sweeping tune thrown in too, it's irresistible. BBB, I'm pretty sure Stay on These Roads is an early-ish single. My brother (a devotee of both Man and Tony McFee/McGee(?), btw) is a great admirer of mid to late period A-ha and has been known to wax lyrical about Memorial Beach too. I think you're both on to something.

Just so, Charlie.

As for A-ha, I always liked his voice and their sound. When there's a great, sweeping tune thrown in too, it's irresistible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOo5BygybmE

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
Kate Bush - The Sensual World

Just a beautiful album, like all of her work.

indeed beautiful!

Kill Bill Vol 1 Soundtrack

Oasis - Definately Maybe (180g reissue )

I have the builders in so were living in my 'man cave', Gyrodec and all assocaited sundries packed away for a few weeks :(:(:(:(:(:(

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A day of devotion to the mighty Don Fleming, so...

B.A.L.L. - Period

B.A.L.L. - Four

B.A.L.L. - Bird

B.A.L.L. - Trouble Doll

Gumball - Special Kiss

Half Japanese - Music To Strip By

Velvet Monkeys - Rotting Corpse Au-Go-Go

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
220px-Tattoo6xi.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

After the A-ha love-in of the last few days, I put on this.

1311239122_1311144585_aha11.jpg

Jumping up to skip tracks is a bit annoying, but there's no way I could listen to Touchy or You Are The One.

I have to concede that Stay On These Roads is their finest moment from the earlier albums, I was letting my heart rule my head with I've Been Losing You, ex-girlfriend memories, you know how it is. :oops:

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
After the A-ha love-in of the last few days, I put on this.

1311239122_1311144585_aha11.jpg

Jumping up to skip tracks is a bit annoying, but there's no way I could listen to Touchy or You Are The One.

I have to concede that Stay On These Roads is their finest moment from the earlier albums, I was letting my heart rule my head with I've Been Losing You, ex-girlfriend memories, you know how it is. :oops:

Yep, `Stay On These Roads` is a great song.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts