What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 224 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
cover_3758226112010.jpg

I have heard it, but it was so long ago. I'll have to catch up with this one, cos I DO like Camel :)

It's OK Freddy, but not their best IMO..

I guess so, otherwise it would have made more of an impression on me. My favs are 'Snowgoose' and 'Breathless'. Lately though I'm really liking 'A Nod And A Wink', especially the tracks 'It's A Boys Life' and 'For Today'.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:

I have heard it, but it was so long ago. I'll have to catch up with this one, cos I DO like Camel :)

I guess so, otherwise it would have made more of an impression on me. My favs are 'Snowgoose' and 'Breathless'. Lately though I'm really liking 'A Nod And A Wink', especially the tracks 'It's A Boys Life' and 'For Today'.

Saw them live in the Colston Hall in Bristol when this album came out. I was up in the gods and absolutely hate heights! I was a student at the time in Bath and had to give up food for a week to pay for getting there and the ticket!!

All seems such a long time ago now .... well it was !!!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:

Saw them live in the Colston Hall in Bristol when this album came out. I was up in the gods and absolutely hate heights! I was a student at the time in Bath and had to give up food for a week to pay for getting there and the ticket!!

There's a 'gods' in the Colston Hall? I've only ever noticed the upper level, not very high :)

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
mikeparker59 said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:

There's a 'gods' in the Colston Hall? I've only ever noticed the upper level, not very high :)

If I go 2 steps up a ladder I start to feel nauseous, I can't go in the top level of St David's in Cardiff!!!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Finished work at midday today, so I took advantage of an empty house and blasted out tracks from the following:

Bend Sinister - The Fall

We Get Requests - Oscar Peterson Trio

The Fat Of The Land - Prodigy

Work And Non-Work - Broadcast

Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant

Ticket To Ride - Carpenters

Guitar & Other Machines - Durutti Column

Flemish Altruism - A Minor Forest

Metal Box - PIL

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots

I don't own many Albarn related records, just a couple of Blur albums, but in my opinion, and it is just my opinion, he is as close to a genius as we have in this country. The quantity, quality, and variety of music that he produces really amazes me, and I'm annoyed at myself for not realising it years ago.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I don't own many Albarn related records, just a couple of Blur albums, but in my opinion, and it is just my opinion, he is as close to a genius as we have in this country. The quantity, quality, and variety of music that he produces really amazes me, and I'm annoyed at myself for not realising it years ago.

I dunno about genius, but I've recently come to realise that there's something 'going on' ;)

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Really enjoying it, different again from him. It's one of the great things about him, as BBB says close to a genius, he doesn't stand still. Thoroughly recommend it, it is not Blur nor Gorillaz. Have all his stuff. My only trouble is will be seeing him headline at Latitude and it's not really a festival headline album, will be interesting what he does, myself and my wife will enjoy it but can see people leaving it after a few songs as they did the Gorillaz set at Glastonbury in 2010 the philistines!

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

Amazing how a couple of days reflection can blur your perspective.
smiley-wink.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

Mmm, I too own most Blur albums and a few of his post-Blur things, and whilst I admire his reluctance to simply repeat a winning formula, I often find myself uncaptivated by the actual music. The John Dee project, the Monkey Opera thing, the Mali music, the one with Tony Allen on drums and now Everyday Robots - they're all interesting ideas, but his voice and the tunes are all so often so dreary. His performance on Jools Holland this week summed it up for me: worthy but weak. And I usually lean towards dreary and or worthy.

Just my take on things, of course . . .

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Name me another British, even world musician and songwriter whose musical output is so varied?

Of course, the consistency isn't always there, but if you put an album together of all the best moments from all of the projects, it would be a long, and wonderful album.

Shall I dare compare him with The Beatles? Why not? The Beatles (for all their classic tunes) churned out so much absolute nonsense, comedy songs, but not only comedy songs, awful comedy songs. Half of the White Album is unlistenable, it's appaling, and to me, unlistenable.

I await the heated responses.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Name me another British, even world musician and songwriter whose musical output is so varied?

Of course, the consistency isn't always there, but if you put an album together of all the best moments from all of the projects, it would be a long, and wonderful album.

Shall I dare compare him with The Beatles? Why not? The Beatles (for all their classic tunes) churned out so much absolute nonsense, comedy songs, but not only comedy songs, awful comedy songs. Half of the White Album is unlistenable, it's appaling, and to me, unlistenable.

I don't see the problem. Was anyone criticising your opinion?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I don't see the problem. Was anyone criticising your opinion?

I don't think so, and if they were, they're perfectly entitled to their opinion. I'm not a massive fan, honestly, I'm not, but I play guitar, and I used to be in bands and write songs, and I know how difficult it is not to keep repeating yourself, and he doesn't, yet he's so prolific.

I admire him greatly as a fellow musician, and I know the difference between what he is capable of, and what someone like Noel Gallagher is capable of, and they're poles apart.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I don't think so, and if they were, they're perfectly entitled to their opinion. I'm not a massive fan, honestly, I'm not, but I play guitar, and I used to be in bands and write songs, and I know how difficult it is not to keep repeating yourself, and he doesn't, yet he's so prolific.

I admire him greatly as a fellow musician, and I know the difference between what he is capable of, and what someone like Noel Gallagher is capable of, and they're poles apart.

I can't say I've heard much from Mr Albarn, apart from the Blur hits. TBH, at the time, I didn't like Blur, but somehow they're now growing on me, and I'm discovering that he has at least, some class ;)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB,

I'll get back to you on other artists as varied as Albarn. If I can think of any that is but for starters, Elvis Costello springs to mind. But yes I completely agree with your central point that Damon Albarn is making, for some,interesting and varied music. On a name-dropping tip, I met him once. Backstage at a 1990s V Festival when I was working on a now defunct and terrible TV show. It was summer of Blur v Oasis or maybe the year after but he was extremely pleasant and erudite.

As for your reference to Noel Gallagher. Yep spot on.

Currently listening to:

Space Age Bachelor Pad Music - Stereolab

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Check out the guitar player in Blur too, that Graham Coxon is a mean guitarist. Really original.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi BBB,

I'll get back to you on other artists as varied as Albarn. If I can think of any that is but for starters, Elvis Costello springs to mind.

I know what you're saying with the Costello nomination, but I haven't heard enough of him to either agree or disagree, but my gut tells me that his output is neither as varied, or tuneful. :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi BBB,

I'll get back to you on other artists as varied as Albarn. If I can think of any that is but for starters, Elvis Costello springs to mind.

I know what you're saying with the Costello nomination, but I haven't heard enough of him to either agree or disagree, but my gut tells me that his output is neither as varied, or tuneful. :)

I'll leave "tuneful" to one side for now. As for varied, I'll throw the following into the ring:

The original run of four new-wave albums, the Beatles-y concept album (Imperial Bedroom), the one with Presley's session band (King Of America), the string quartet album (The Juliette Letters), an opera, a swing jazz LP, an album with Alain Toussiant, the recent one with The Roots, a torch song LP on Deutsche Gramaphon and above all the demented beast that is Blood & Chocolate. Maybe it's simply that I'm more of a Costello fan.

This thread will become something of a deleted scene/paragraph from High Fidelity. Long live music. And debate. And ranting.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi BBB,

I'll leave "tuneful" to one side for now. As for varied, I'll throw the following into the ring:

The original run of four new-wave albums, the Beatles-y concept album (Imperial Bedroom), the one with Presley's session band (King Of America), the string quartet album (The Juliette Letters), an opera, a swing jazz LP, an album with Alain Toussiant, the recent one with The Roots, a torch song LP on Deutsche Gramaphon and above all the demented beast that is Blood & Chocolate. Maybe it's simply that I'm more of a Costello fan.

This thread will become something of a deleted scene/paragraph from High Fidelity. Long live music. And debate. And ranting.

I'm definitely not going to argue with you Charlie, your musical knowledge is much respected in the Bresslaw household, and I can certainly see your point with Mr MacManus (a fellow LFC supporter too).

Solex Vs The Hitmeister?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts