What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 223 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
59684.jpg

A Birthday present- haven't heard it in full for years.

Is that the Mobile Fidelity release?

Great album in all it's incarnations.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Chrome - 3rd From The Sun

Wire - The Ideal Copy

Boyd Rice/Frank Tovey - Easy Listening For The Hard Of Hearing

Nurse With Wound - Steel Dream March Of The Metal Men

The Residents - Commercial Album

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
The beer went unresisted in the face of Monday.

Thus:

1) Passage - The Carpenters

2) Gets Schooled - John Grant

3) IV - Zep

4) Sky Blue Sky - Wilco

5) A New World Record - ELO

6) Roxy/Elsewhere - Zappa

7) The Tennessee Fire - MMJ

A very eclectic list, Charlie. The Roxy/Elsewhere band were just phenomenal; one of my favourite Frank's. I treasure the early Verve lp's the most though. One of the greatest guitar players I've ever heard; his son is pretty damn good too.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
My go to LP when testing anything...

Joe-Cocker-Sheffield-Steel.jpg

.. currently putting my new Nagaoka MP-110 through it's paces.

Hi DIB

I'd be very interested in a comparison between 2M Blue and Nagaoka. Reason being I'm thinking that I'm going to make exactly the same change. My preconceptions are that Nagaoka will be smoother and less forward than the Ortofon. I like the 2M Blue, which is on an LP12, and which might be an ideal cart for that record player but I'm curious. Particularly interested if there's any difference in bass response.

Cheers.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Thus:

3) IV - Zep

4) Sky Blue Sky - Wilco

A very eclectic list, Charlie. The Roxy/Elsewhere band were just phenomenal; one of my favourite Frank's. I treasure the early Verve lp's the most though. One of the greatest guitar players I've ever heard; his son is pretty damn good too.

Hi Jim,

Roxy/Elsewhere is a stunning document of that particular line-up isnt it? I'm partial towards a large swathe of FZ/Mothers live LPs, In New York and Tinseltown Rebellion are two brilliant AND indulgent examples. One of those few artists where the latter descriptor is an endorsement.

My (current) favourite of the early Verve LPs is probably Absolutely Free. It's the best example, for me, of the intersection between modern classical structures and rock sensibilities, yet played with such er,verve (!!) and a great sweep of instruments. cf: Uncle Meat too.

Currently playing the very persausive and seductive Colfax by The Delines. One of those albums that sounds like thosands of others of it's type (Cowboy Junkies et al) but so beautifully done it's irresistible.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Thus:

3) IV - Zep

4) Sky Blue Sky - Wilco

Hi Jim,

Roxy/Elsewhere is a stunning document of that particular line-up isnt it? I'm partial towards a large swathe of FZ/Mothers live LPs, In New York and Tinseltown Rebellion are two brilliant AND indulgent examples. One of those few artists where the latter descriptor is an endorsement.

My (current) favourite of the early Verve LPs is probably Absolutely Free. It's the best example, for me, of the intersection between modern classical structures and rock sensibilities, yet played with such er,verve (!!) and a great sweep of instruments. cf: Uncle Meat too.

Currently playing the very persausive and seductive Colfax by The Delines. One of those albums that sounds like thosands of others of it's type (Cowboy Junkies et al) but so beautifully done it's irresistible.

Yes, Charlie, I like Zappa when he's indulgent. 'Absolutely Free' and 'Uncle Meat' are my favourites; I've a soft spot for 'Absolutely Free' because of the reasons you outline plus the satire, humour and guitar workout on 'Invocation....' Damn it, I love the sardonic and superior sneer in his voice most of all!

I'll check the Delines on youtube.Sounds like good stuff.

Drama exam on Wednesday; dress rehearsal tomorrow. Are they ready? Ha ha! Much better than it was though:they've actually managed to incorporate some drama techniques into their performances! I'll make sure the visiting examiner gets a nice cup of tea and a plate of chocolate biscuits. I'm teaching full-time until half-term:it's just about killing me!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi DIB

I'd be very interested in a comparison between 2M Blue and Nagaoka. Reason being I'm thinking that I'm going to make exactly the same change. My preconceptions are that Nagaoka will be smoother and less forward than the Ortofon. I like the 2M Blue, which is on an LP12, and which might be an ideal cart for that record player but I'm curious. Particularly interested if there's any difference in bass response.

Cheers.

I was curious to hear a Nagaoka cart, with there being so many fans of them on this forum. In very rough terms the 2M Blue is described by some people as a bit bright. Personally I dont find that, and really enjoy it on my set-up. That Joe Cocker LP has beautiful bass ( the sublime Sly & Robbie rythm section ) but not overpoweringly so, and I thought the 2M Blue reproduces it perfectly.

I bought my MP-110 off Ebay because a) it was cheap, b) it was new, c) it was local, picked it up myself, and finally d) have a spare decent MM cart should I have an accident with the 2M Blue (I've wrecked 2 stylus over the years through my own stupidity :oops:

My first impressions are that it tracks really well (as does the 2M Blue) and it is ever so slightly warmer, but not by much surprisingly. At £60 though it's a damn fine cartridge. Early days yet though, plenty of vinyl to play to run it in.

Talking of which..

englishbeat_stopf.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Thus:

3) IV - Zep

4) Sky Blue Sky - Wilco

Hi Jim,

Yes, Charlie, I like Zappa when he's indulgent. 'Absolutely Free' and 'Uncle Meat' are my favourites; I've a soft spot for 'Absolutely Free' because of the reasons you outline plus the satire, humour and guitar workout on 'Invocation....' Damn it, I love the sardonic and superior sneer in his voice most of all!

I'll check the Delines on youtube.Sounds like good stuff.

Drama exam on Wednesday; dress rehearsal tomorrow. Are they ready? Ha ha! Much better than it was though:they've actually managed to incorporate some drama techniques into their performances! I'll make sure the visiting examiner gets a nice cup of tea and a plate of chocolate biscuits. I'm teaching full-time until half-term:it's just about killing me!

Hi Jim,

I hope all goes well with the exam on Wednesday. Supplemenary drama techniques and chocolate biscuits will surely see them over the line.

The Delines is worth checking out. As mentioned,it's very much a comforting listen. Those country inflections and that pedal-steel threaded through each song, plus a few subtle undercurrents of delicate vocal arrangments make for a relaxed forty-five minutes. Unlike my next spin: the tense and taut psychodrama of Flemish Altruism by A Minor Forest. An angry yet controlled collage of sound in the so-called post-rock idiom. Surprise cellos too on one wondrous song.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
Hi DIB

Cheers.

I was curious to hear a Nagaoka cart, with there being so many fans of them on this forum. In very rough terms the 2M Blue is described by some people as a bit bright. Personally I dont find that, and really enjoy it on my set-up. That Joe Cocker LP has beautiful bass ( the sublime Sly & Robbie rythm section ) but not overpoweringly so, and I thought the 2M Blue reproduces it perfectly.

I bought my MP-110 off Ebay because a) it was cheap, b) it was new, c) it was local, picked it up myself, and finally d) have a spare decent MM cart should I have an accident with the 2M Blue (I've wrecked 2 stylus over the years through my own stupidity :oops:

My first impressions are that it tracks really well (as does the 2M Blue) and it is ever so slightly warmer, but not by much surprisingly. At £60 though it's a damn fine cartridge. Early days yet though, plenty of vinyl to play to run it in.

Talking of which..

englishbeat_stopf.jpg

Thanks DIB. I find the 2M Blue nicely balanced too and the bass tight and clean. I think it's a great cartridge. The 2M Red is definitely very bright and, although I bought one, I don't use it. Sounds like the Nagaoka isa bit of a bargain then. Years ago I had a Nagaoka MP11 and I thought that was pretty damn good. Thanks for your review. I've made up my mind to get one for another turntable; I'll leave the Ortofon on the LP12.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Listening to Nucleus 'Elastic Rock.' 1970.

Can't get this record off the turntable. Think Miles' 'In A Silent Way.' 'Bitches Brew'' but with added subtlety. Brilliant playing and compositions, much of it mid-tempo loveliness. Floaty, hypnotic and sensitive playing. I know it's controversial but I think it kills 'In A silent Way.' A very fine British jazz record up there with John Surman's great records and Mike Westbrook's 'Love Songs.' Gets better with every listen.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ween - Chocolate & Cheese

Holger Czukay - Movies

The Mighty Wah! - A Word To The Wise Guy

Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising

Swans - Children Of God

Naked Raygun - Throb Throb

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters

Screaming Trees - Invisible Lantern

ELpH vs Coil - Worship The Glitch

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Colfax - The Delines*

Horizons - Carpenters

Rise Up Like The Sun - The Albion Band

Viva Dead Ponies - The Fatima Mansions

We Are Reasonable People - warp comp

Garlands - Cocteau Twins

Le Poisson Rouge - J.Spaceman & Kid Millions**

* best easy on the ear album of the year,so far.

** best experimental sounds this year, so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts