What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 222 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
You folks don't half listen to some obsure stuff. I must lead a sheltered life :)

Obscure is only obscure if you haven't heard of it or heard it. If you were referring to my list, Freddy, it's all very well known stuff; the jazz records are in fact mainstream and would be known to jazz enthusiasts. It's more a question of taste and the erm musical path you follow. Certain records lead on to other records and worlds open up.

The Hot Dogs-'Say What You Mean.' An obscure Ardent release Lp. I got into this via Big Star. Brilliant and obscure record.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
You folks don't half listen to some obsure stuff. I must lead a sheltered life :)

Obscure is only obscure if you haven't heard of it or heard it. If you were referring to my list, Freddy, it's all very well known stuff; the jazz records are in fact mainstream and would be known to jazz enthusiasts. It's more a question of taste and the erm musical path you follow. Certain records lead on to other records and worlds open up.

The Hot Dogs-'Say What You Mean.' An obscure Ardent release Lp. I got into this via Big Star. Brilliant and obscure record.

Hiya Jim :)

I wasn't referring to your list in particular, it was more of a general observation. As I'm not 'into' Jazz, I would expect to see unknown listings. I certainly wasn't being derogatory. In some ways, it makes me feel quite....inadequate :grin:

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:

I wasn't referring to your list in particular, it was more of a general observation. As I'm not 'into' Jazz, I would expect to see unknown listings. I certainly wasn't being derogatory. In some ways, it makes me feel quite....inadequate :grin:

I knew you weren't being a deroga tree, Freddy. Don't feel inadequate for God's sake. Music, like hifi,has disgusting snob value attached to it. Listen to what makes you happy or sad or whatever you want. Music is important but not as important as being a decent person or a good dad or whatever.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:

I knew you weren't being a deroga tree, Freddy. Don't feel inadequate for God's sake. Music, like hifi,has disgusting snob value attached to it. Listen to what makes you happy or sad or whatever you want. Music is important but not as important as being a decent person or a good dad or whatever.

Or to coin a phrase, "football isn't a matter of life and death, it's more important than that" :grin:

Don't worry Jim, I know what I like, and what I don't. I get a great deal out of music, happy and sad forms. BTW, I have no time for snobbery ;)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:

Or to coin a phrase, "football isn't a matter of life and death, it's more important than that" :grin:

Don't worry Jim, I know what I like, and what I don't. I get a great deal out of music, happy and sad forms. BTW, I have no time for snobbery ;)

Anyroad up, matey, it's time you moved into that house and got your record player sorted out. I read in the HiFi posts that you had auditioned some very modern amps and speakers and were not keen on their forward presentation; a couple of people gave you some good advice about buying older stuff which has a more laid back, not so in yer face approach to music. That would appear to be the sound that you're looking for; the sound that reminds you of listening to records when you were a young jumbucky. You could also think about valve amps which will help to get that relaxed but detailed presentation. I prefer a warmer sound too and most of my stuff is knocking on a bit so if you find something you like or think you might like just get in touch and I'll try to offer an opinion from that sort of perspective.

Regards.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Ditto what Jim said.

Obscure is just something you haven't discovered yet. ELO, The Carpenters, The Beatles and The Beach Boys were all unknown to me at one time. I can love familiar and new music in equal measure. One usually leads to the other.

Karen Caprenter and Jim James hold equal sway in this household.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Ditto what Jim said.

Obscure is just something you haven't discovered yet. ELO, The Carpenters, The Beatles and The Beach Boys were all unknown to me at one time. I can love familiar and new music in equal measure. One usually leads to the other.

Karen Caprenter and Jim James hold equal sway in this household.

Hi Charlie.

Just so. I'm often, no, always, behind other people when it comes to discovering good new music. How did I miss out on this or that band, I often ask myself. Well, at the ime, I was into other stuff and it just escaped my attention or I just didn't have the money. Having said that, discovering old and new stuff is the best thing, although I'm becoming more conservative as I move towards my dotage. I like the tried and tested, even though it was 'way out' and 'challenging' in its day:it just takes me years to appreciate it. And so it should really because it was probably 20 years ahead of its time when it was first released.

So much music; so little time. So little disposable income! One lifetime is too short: I demand another one.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya folks :)

As regards the house move, it's dragging on a bit and we still don't have an official date, but it looks likely that it will take place in three weeks. At that point it's my intention to start with building my own speakers. It may or may not be the right way of going about it, but for me it's something that's a reference point, knowing how my Kefs sounded, which was a sound I really liked. The only thing I might do is 'open' them up a bit, which is something those nice folks at Wilmslow can help me with.

I realise that all this talk is off-topic, but I feel more comfortable talking about it here, so bear with me :)

Thanks folks...

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Hiya folks :)

As regards the house move, it's dragging on a bit and we still don't have an official date, but it looks likely that it will take place in three weeks. At that point it's my intention to start with building my own speakers. It may or may not be the right way of going about it, but for me it's something that's a reference point, knowing how my Kefs sounded, which was a sound I really liked. The only thing I might do is 'open' them up a bit, which is something those nice folks at Wilmslow can help me with.

I realise that all this talk is off-topic, but I feel more comfortable talking about it here, so bear with me :)

Thanks folks...

I think you can get that sound with some 1980's/1990's Mission floorstanders such as 733i's or 752 Freedoms which can be bought for not very much money on ebay. It would save you a lot of bother. These are speakers with the depth and detail that I think you would like.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Another recent acquisition..

Moody+Blues+-+In+Search+Of+The+Lost+Chord+-+LP+RECORD-421720.jpg

.. I do like the Moody Blues. Mostly pretentious twaddle, but I like that :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I think you can get that sound with some 1980's/1990's Mission floorstanders such as 733i's or 752 Freedoms which can be bought for not very much money on ebay. It would save you a lot of bother. These are speakers with the depth and detail that I think you would like.

Hiya Jim, thanks for that. I do have to wonder though if those can reproduce the same kind of sound given the relatively small drivers? The ones in the Kefs (3 way) I had were 8". What do you reckon?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya folks.

A few times now I've seen the mention of Boards Of Canada. I just tried a track on youtube, and was immediately put in mind of Subarachnoid Space. If you're not familiar, might be worth checking them out?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim, thanks for that. I do have to wonder though if those can reproduce the same kind of sound given the relatively small drivers? The ones in the Kefs (3 way) I had were 8". What do you reckon?

Oh I didn't know they had such big ones. Blimey! Dunno, you'd have to give them a listen.However, the most important thing is whether bass drivers that big would suit the room that they're going to be situated in. The Missions are fairly ok about wall proximity which is something to consider. All speakers are better with room to breathe but it's not always realistic; like everything in er life, it ends up being a compromise. Oh by the way, the 733i's can be filled with sand in the lower chamber which gives them aa much better (tighter, cleaner) bass response.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Oh I didn't know they had such big ones. Blimey! Dunno, you'd have to give them a listen.However, the most important thing is whether bass drivers that big would suit the room that they're going to be situated in. The Missions are fairly ok about wall proximity which is something to consider. All speakers are better with room to breathe but it's not always realistic; like everything in er life, it ends up being a compromise. Oh by the way, the 733i's can be filled with sand in the lower chamber which gives them aa much better (tighter, cleaner) bass response.

Yeah, that's the only thing that concerns me. The room the system will be in measures 17'7 x 10'11. Not sure yet which wall the speakers will be against. This is why at one point I was considering using a sub-woofer with stand-mount speakers, but most seem to poo-poo them, saying they are ineffective. Anyway, won't be long now, and I can join in :)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Yeah, that's the only thing that concerns me. The room the system will be in measures 17'7 x 10'11. Not sure yet which wall the speakers will be against. This is why at one point I was considering using a sub-woofer with stand-mount speakers, but most seem to poo-poo them, saying they are ineffective. Anyway, won't be long now, and I can join in :)

I think floorstanders firing down the longer walls in a room that size would be appropriate; having said that, I've got one system with speakers firing down the shorter walls and it sounds fine. It depends on a multitude of things but it will be fun trying them out....until it gets frustrating and bloody annoying.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The beer went unresisted in the face of Monday.

Thus:

1) Passage - The Carpenters

2) Gets Schooled - John Grant

3) IV - Zep

4) Sky Blue Sky - Wilco

5) A New World Record - ELO

6) Roxy/Elsewhere - Zappa

7) The Tennessee Fire - MMJ

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Gave my vinyl copy of PF Animals a spin yesterday. Forgot how crackly the second side was. The one thing I hate about vinyl! Also one of my more statically charged albums.

Do you good peeps here also find some LPs are mor prone to static than others? This one always lifts the felt mat off my TT2 :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts