What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 220 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Last night/this morning:

Live at Le Poisson Rouge - J.Spaceman & Kid Millions

Gets Schooled - John Grant

The Driver - Buddy Rich

Inindependence - A Minor Forest

Favorites of Clint Howard & Doc Watson

Ball Of Eyes - Placebo

Music Finland With The Line Of Best Fit

Roxy & Elsewhere - Zappa/Mothers

The Artistry Of Nina Simone

Abyssinians - June Tabor

Tonight's The Night - Neil Young

Is A Woman - Lambchop

Intro - Pulp

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
51UMySIfrPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tookah. Emiliana Torrini.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:

Great lp. I've still got a badge with the legend,'Release Potato Land.' There was a campaign to release it sometime in the mid 70's. I think this was released in the early 80's and was probably re-recorded or with overdubs. I'm sure a version of the original record exists somewhere. Spirit was one of the best 60's American bands. 'The Family That Plays Together' is my favourite although I like all of them.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
DIB said:

Great lp. I've still got a badge with the legend,'Release Potato Land.' There was a campaign to release it sometime in the mid 70's. I think this was released in the early 80's and was probably re-recorded or with overdubs. I'm sure a version of the original record exists somewhere. Spirit was one of the best 60's American bands. 'The Family That Plays Together' is my favourite although I like all of them.

I foolishly sold my copy of this LP a couple of years ago when I was going through my "had it with vinyl" stage. Always regretted it, so bought a really good condition copy locally off Ebay. It comes complete with the original comic insert too. Well chuffed.

I'm not one these "everything on vinyl is better than CD" people, far from it. However, the CD version of this album is rubbish in comparison with the LP. The CD is a shambling, rambling, mish-mash of an album that is overlong by at least 30 minutes. The LP is a classic 40 minutes, but the CD is just padded out with so much dross I never play it.

I went to see Randy California sometime in the 80's and along with Johnny Winter was probably the unhealthiest and ill looking act I've ever seen.

But like Johnny Winter, my god could he play guitar.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Last night, tracks from:

Inindependence - A Minor Forest

Face To Face - The Kinks

The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips*

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

Clouds Taste Metallic - The F.Lips

Absolutely Free - Zappa/The Mothers

Clear Spot - Beefheart/Magic Band

This morning:

Black Narcissus - Joe Henderson

Jealousy - Stephane Grappelli/Yehudi Menuhin

The Oil Rigs At Night - The Delines (twice because it's only three tracks long)

* A band who garner much (too much?) "critical" acclaim (hideous phrase and connotations), yet continue to make some of the most incredible music in the pop firmament. Embryonic, The Terror and now their current masterpiece, 7 Skies H3 are mutations of the same kind of thing. But what a thing.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips*

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

Clouds Taste Metallic - The F.Lips

* A band who garner much (too much?) "critical" acclaim (hideous phrase and connotations), yet continue to make some of the most incredible music in the pop firmament. Embryonic, The Terror and now their current masterpiece, 7 Skies H3 are mutations of the same kind of thing. But what a thing.

One of my fave bands. Absolutely brilliant live, imho The Terror was better live than on record. Having seen them last year it made me listen to that album afresh.

As for 7 skies H3, as soon as put it on my wife asked 'is this Flaming Lips?' , me 'yes', her 'I like it'. That is a real compliment from her.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts