What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 219 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Blimey, don't 12" singles sound good?

fac73a.jpg

Frankie+Goes+To+Hollywood+-+Relax+-+12%22+RECORD%2FMAXI+SINGLE-33874.jpg

tumblr_mgz89haKi61qayaaf_1358773511_cover.jpg

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Bonnie Tyler's debut album still her best .... The World Starts Tonight

Genesis....Duke

Tchaikovsky ...1812/Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture

On headphones tonight as I want it loud and have a neighbour to consider grrr.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:

Genesis....Duke

A very underrated album imo. I'm looking forward to giving that one a spin, when I get my new system :)

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
mikeparker59 said:

Genesis....Duke

A very underrated album imo. I'm looking forward to giving that one a spin, when I get my new system :)

It's actually one of my favourite Genesis studio albums. Three sides live being my all time fave genesis album if only for 'The cage medley'

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
Freddy58 said:
mikeparker59 said:

Genesis....Duke

It's actually one of my favourite Genesis studio albums. Three sides live being my all time fave genesis album if only for 'The cage medley'

Hiya Mike
smiley-smile.gif

My favourite has been and always will be 'Selling England By The Pound'. For me, a musical journey. I must confess, as far as I recall, I've not heard 'Three Sides Live'. At some stage, I'll have to rectify that
smiley-smile.gif

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
mikeparker59 said:
Freddy58 said:
mikeparker59 said:

Genesis....Duke

Hiya Mike
smiley-smile.gif

My favourite has been and always will be 'Selling England By The Pound'. For me, a musical journey. I must confess, as far as I recall, I've not heard 'Three Sides Live'. At some stage, I'll have to rectify that
smiley-smile.gif

Love the supermarket references in that one!!

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Listening to my Saturday Purchases...

Johnny Cash - With his hot and blue guitar

Jimmy Hendrix - Live at Monterey

The Yardbirds - Little Games

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water

Very impressed with the qualty of the pressings

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BBB, I don't know if you've had the chance to listen to J Spaceman/ Kid Millions yet, but I'd recommend it. The second side is particularly impressive if you're into long form Neu-like improvised drones and dynamic shifts played loudly. It's a given.

Live At The Poisson Rouge.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
A long-ish session of vinyl tonight. Sides or tracks from the following:

Gets Schooled - John Grant

Sorry I Made You Cry - The Czars

Baby, The Stars Shine Bright - EBGT

School Days - Stanley Clarke

Out Of The Blue - ELO

Passage - The Carpenters

Southpaw - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Okonosos - My Morning Jacket

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
A long-ish session of vinyl tonight. Sides or tracks from the following:

Gets Schooled - John Grant

Sorry I Made You Cry - The Czars

Baby, The Stars Shine Bright - EBGT

School Days - Stanley Clarke

Out Of The Blue - ELO

Passage - The Carpenters

Southpaw - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Okonosos - My Morning Jacket

Now you're talking! :) A vastly underrated band, imo. Those strings and swirling melodies...oh boy!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I agree with you. Jeff Lynne is a fantastic creator of finely-tuned pop music. Some people simply struggle with the last two words of that sentence.

I seem to recall The Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan speaking favourably about them years ago, but unlike Abba, say, ELO don't seem to get the plaudits they deserve.

In other news, I went to Normans Records and bought items from the RSD list I hadn't got hold of at my (new) local store on Saturday. Namely, the stunning reprint of A Minor Forest's two Albini-assisted LPs, collectively entitled Flemish Altruism. It includes an album I previously only owned on copied C90 tape, Inindependence.

BBB, I know you're a fan of Slint, so if you don't know much A Minor Forest stuff, this is a handy comparison. It's at the very least the equal of Spiderland.

I also bought the Ball Of Eyes LP by Placebo (the jazz fusion band), Tracey Thorn's single and another copy of the incredible John Grant EP. The latter for my daughter's slowly growing vinyl collection.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I also bought the Ball Of Eyes LP by Placebo (the jazz fusion band), Tracey Thorn's single and another copy of the incredible John Grant EP. The latter for my daughter's slowly growing vinyl collection.

[/quote]

Now I think you are trying to rub it in with another copy of the John Grant EP. :rofl: :rofl:

Only joking of course.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB, I know you're a fan of Slint, so if you don't know much A Minor Forest stuff, this is a handy comparison. It's at the very least the equal of Spiderland.

I know nothing about them, but I'll try to find time to have a listen.

Charlie Jefferson said:
I also bought the Ball Of Eyes LP by Placebo (the jazz fusion band)

I can't tell you what a relief it was to see "the jazz fusion band" after Placebo.

And to answer your earlier question, I've yet to hear the J.Spaceman collaboration, will try to find time, as it sounds quite interesting.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Some people simply struggle with the last two words of that sentence.

Hiya Charlie. I know exactly what you mean. In some quarters, pop is regarded as trash, and not to be taken seriously. As with all forms of music, there's good and bad (notwithstanding the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but I'm cerainly not averse to a bit of pop ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
'Golden Lights' is shocking of course but, yep, I did make it through to the end. The 12" reveals the full horror of the endeavour.

I have a feeling that the Twinkle album "Golden Lights" was actually issued on vinyl on the RPM label, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere.

Have you ever seen a vinyl copy JIm?

Hi BBB

Nope, never have in fact I've only seen some Twinkle 45's in my entire collecting life but I passed on those. I would assume that Tinkle LP's are very scarce and hard to come by. If I see one BBB I'll get my bloke to hold on to it and report back on the condition and you can make an offer if you like. In fact, next week I'll ask him what he knows about the 'Golden Lights' album; he is a walking encyclopedia re records and he'll know the value and scarcity etc.

Thanks Jim

I'm reasonably sure I remember seeing the Golden Lights vinyl in RPMs catalogue from my Tower Records days, but it had long been deleted when I tried to order it. I'm not mad keen on getting a copy, as it'd probably cost me loads, but if your man does know the whereabouts of one for reasonable money, I may be interested.

One album I would really love is "Wounded Rhymes" by Lykke LI, if he can get one of those, I'd be a very happy bunny. I'd pay up to £50 for an excellent copy, though I fear he'd probably want a lot more for it.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
'Golden Lights' is shocking of course but, yep, I did make it through to the end. The 12" reveals the full horror of the endeavour.

I have a feeling that the Twinkle album "Golden Lights" was actually issued on vinyl on the RPM label, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere.

Have you ever seen a vinyl copy JIm?

Hi BBB

Nope, never have in fact I've only seen some Twinkle 45's in my entire collecting life but I passed on those. I would assume that Tinkle LP's are very scarce and hard to come by. If I see one BBB I'll get my bloke to hold on to it and report back on the condition and you can make an offer if you like. In fact, next week I'll ask him what he knows about the 'Golden Lights' album; he is a walking encyclopedia re records and he'll know the value and scarcity etc.

Thanks Jim

I'm reasonably sure I remember seeing the Golden Lights vinyl in RPMs catalogue from my Tower Records days, but it had long been deleted when I tried to order it. I'm not mad keen on getting a copy, as it'd probably cost me loads, but if your man does know the whereabouts of one for reasonable money, I may be interested.

One album I would really love is "Wounded Rhymes" by Lykke LI, if he can get one of those, I'd be a very happy bunny. I'd pay up to £50 for an excellent copy, though I fear he'd probably want a lot more for it.

Ok, well I'll ask him on Saturday if the weather is reasonable and I can get my bike out. I can't see the Twinkle album commanding a high price; the Lykke Li may well be expensive.

Tonight:

Rod Stewart-;'An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down.' Great record; horrible production values.

Mick Softley-'Street Singer.' Beautiful and bonkers;great production values.

Brinsley Schwarz-'Original Golden Greats.' aptly-named lp.

Ray Charles-'What'd I Say?' Dunno, Ray, there's too much crackling on the record. :) Love it all the same.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I know nothing about them, but I'll try to find time to have a listen.

Charlie Jefferson said:
I also bought the Ball Of Eyes LP by Placebo (the jazz fusion band)

I can't tell you what a relief it was to see "the jazz fusion band" after Placebo.

And to answer your earlier question, I've yet to hear the J.Spaceman collaboration, will try to find time, as it sounds quite interesting.

Hi BBB,

I think you might like A Minor Forest. One of those many bands that slipped under the radar, if they ever bleeped on it in the first place. Inindependence is the one. Although their others are impressive - for different reasons.

Yes, the Placebo LP is a slightly different affair to Molko and co. (That said, I heard the latter's latest single on 6 Music a few weeks ago and thought it was great). Mrs.CJ loves them. So vicariously I know their entire oeuvre pretty well. Oh what marital jinx were had when I returned from the record shop with a "new Placebo LP".

Currently playing:

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

Something Else - The Kinks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts