What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 213 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Jim-W said:
And then on to Cecil Taylor's 'Unit Structures' and Archie Shepp's 'Mama Too Tight.' You'll be a basket case, Charlie!

Then see if you can take Art Ensemble Of New York, Amm and Borbetomagus...

Ons of my non-smooth jazz starting points many years ago was when my Berlin friend, and "out there" affiaciando, played me Urban Bushmen by Art Ensemble of Chicago. Are they a precursor or successor to AEofNY??

Jim,

I'll have a read up on Jackie McClean.

Btw, my contact at Crash records has given me a low down on vinyl costs for most of the albums on my list. I think I'll have to be selective. I'll buy them on CD and pick up any decent vinyl copies as and when I see them. Is there a rough price guide for original Coltrane Impulse albums on vinyl or is that a silly question?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

For the attention of Charlie and Jim, and any other who may be interested.

While I was in Japan in 2004 my wife's friend played a CD in the car, the band was called Yura Yura Teikoku. Unfortunately they only ever played outside of Japan once, and they have now split, but one track in particular was brilliant, see what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyF1r_kWdnc

The track I particularly like starts at 24.54.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Continuing the trawl through my Porky Twee / Related Artists section.

4169rpkC8JL._SY355_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson said:
omnibeard said:
Jim-W said:
And then on to Cecil Taylor's 'Unit Structures' and Archie Shepp's 'Mama Too Tight.' You'll be a basket case, Charlie!

Then see if you can take Art Ensemble Of New York, Amm and Borbetomagus...

Ons of my non-smooth jazz starting points many years ago was when my Berlin friend, and "out there" affiaciando, played me Urban Bushmen by Art Ensemble of Chicago. Are they a precursor or successor to AEofNY??

Jim,

I'll have a read up on Jackie McClean.

Btw, my contact at Crash records has given me a low down on vinyl costs for most of the albums on my list. I think I'll have to be selective. I'll buy them on CD and pick up any decent vinyl copies as and when I see them. Is there a rough price guide for original Coltrane Impulse albums on vinyl or is that a silly question?

Best place to get an idea of the going rate of any vinyl is www.discogs.com

The only thing I can see on there at the moment is 'Ascencion' going for 40 bucks.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Is there a rough price guide for original Coltrane Impulse albums on vinyl or is that a silly question?

If you have to ask and all that...

No, it's not a sily question but it's hard to be exact. Any Impulse origlnal, especially the monos, can only rise in price, They're not in the same league as Blue Notes though which can fetch £1,000+ for monos with all necessary identification. So Coltrane, impulse! and mono = collectable. I'm not looking it up but using my sense of what they will probably fetch, I'd say £100/£150 for monos in excellent, maybe a little bit less, may be a little bit more. Stereos, slightly lower I would have thought.In ten years time you can muliply that by 3, 4, 5. I'm only guessing though. Remember a record is worth what you want to pay for it really.

The British releases on London/Atlantic and HMV are creeping up in value too: maybe £50+ for some monos of famous titles like, 'A Love Supreme.' I bought some a few years ago and paid about £20. Either way, they don't turn up very often on Impulse! or HMV and dealers would try and charge high prices. I never buy off ebay or discogs because I like to see what I'm paying for but many people feel differently.

This is just a rough guide based on what I've paid for these records. I've bought quite a few reissues too which would obviously be cheaper.

Oh 'Sun Ship' is another great 'Trane Impulse! record.

I want to type 'don't pay too much, Charlie, or it'll turn into the Great 'Trane Robbery' but I wouldn't make such terrible jokes on a public forum.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Today:

Donald Byrd-'Caricatures' Not one for the Blue Note purists but I can't get enough funky, well-played, cheesy, good--time dance music with more than a nod to disco. I fairly race about with the feather duster when this is on. Great dusting music.

John Coltrane-'Sun Ship' This is not great dusting music: dusting and fractured atonal slashing are not comfortable bedfellows.

John Cooper-Clarke-'Snap, Crackle And Bop.' 'It's a fully furnished dustbin, 16, Beasley Street.'

The Rolling Stones-'Sucking In The 70's.' A different kind of dust methinks.

H.P. Lovecraft-'H.P. Lovecraft' The fallout of fairy dust from the 60's is still in my head and heart.

You can probably see what I've done here.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

While I was in Japan in 2004 my wife's friend played a CD in the car, the band was called Yura Yura Teikoku. Unfortunately they only ever played outside of Japan once, and they have now split, but one track in particular was brilliant, see what you think?

Hi BBB,

I like it. Dare i say it's got touches of a Japanese MMJ in certain places.

You're right, that one track in particular is excellent. A couple of others are rreally good too.

I was out last night with friends in York and we played it on the way into twon and then loudly when we all returned. Perfect soundtracl for post-beer meltdown.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I like it. Dare i say it's got touches of a Japanese MMJ in certain places.

You're right, that one track in particular is excellent. A couple of others are rreally good too.

I was out last night with friends in York and we played it on the way into twon and then loudly when we all returned. Perfect soundtracl for post-beer meltdown.

Nice one Charlie!

I can't comment on the MMJ link, I guess I'll have to investigate them at some point in the future.

It's an eclectic album isn't it? And you're right, there's more than just the one good track, my wife love the track that starts at 7.03.

Glad you enjoyed it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie

Did you ever get around to listening to Cat Power "Moon Pix"? I genuinely think you'll love it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

Did you ever get around to listening to Cat Power "Moon Pix"? I genuinely think you'll love it.

I'll Spotify it right now and let you know what I think.

Forgot about that one.

It's a late night , glass of red wine in hand, empty bottle beside you album.

I am listening to it now though, :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

Forgot about that one.

Halfway through and it's really good. An alluring seductive sleaze to her voice and very different sound to other albums I've got or heard by her.

Yes, I know my universe is MMJ-shaped/centric but it too reminds me of early MMJ albums. Well specifically two LPs of demos, off-cuts they released awhile ago. They are pre-debut LP songs. Early Learning Vol.1&2. Jim James and Cat Power should do a collaboration. Their voices and aesthetic could create magic.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
omnibeard said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Is there a rough price guide for original Coltrane Impulse albums on vinyl or is that a silly question?

If you have to ask and all that...

No, it's not a sily question but it's hard to be exact. Any Impulse origlnal, especially the monos, can only rise in price, They're not in the same league as Blue Notes though which can fetch £1,000+ for monos with all necessary identification. So Coltrane, impulse! and mono = collectable. I'm not looking it up but using my sense of what they will probably fetch, I'd say £100/£150 for monos in excellent, maybe a little bit less, may be a little bit more. Stereos, slightly lower I would have thought.In ten years time you can muliply that by 3, 4, 5. I'm only guessing though. Remember a record is worth what you want to pay for it really.

The British releases on London/Atlantic and HMV are creeping up in value too: maybe £50+ for some monos of famous titles like, 'A Love Supreme.' I bought some a few years ago and paid about £20. Either way, they don't turn up very often on Impulse! or HMV and dealers would try and charge high prices. I never buy off ebay or discogs because I like to see what I'm paying for but many people feel differently.

This is just a rough guide based on what I've paid for these records. I've bought quite a few reissues too which would obviously be cheaper.

Oh 'Sun Ship' is another great 'Trane Impulse! record.

I want to type 'don't pay too much, Charlie, or it'll turn into the Great 'Trane Robbery' but I wouldn't make such terrible jokes on a public forum.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the rough guide to prices and even the terrible pun.

I'm om holiday for a fortnight, you too I presume, so I'll venture into Leeds and try to sniff out some of those LPs. Re-issued from Jumbo will be my first port of call, then second hand from Relics, if Iucky.

Loving Live At Village Vanguard, Ballads, Plays The Blues and the Phoroah Sanders LP. Not made it to the other artists suggested yet!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

Forgot about that one.

Halfway through and it's really good. An alluring seductive sleaze to her voice and very different sound to other albums I've got or heard by her.

Yes, I know my universe is MMJ-shaped/centric but it too reminds me of early MMJ albums. Well specifically two LPs of demos, off-cuts they released awhile ago. They are pre-debut LP songs. Early Learning Vol.1&2. Jim James and Cat Power should do a collaboration. Their voices and aesthetic could create magic.

I like the second side most, absolutely awesome.

I think it's like a mix of MMJ and Dylan. :p

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

Forgot about that one.

I almost beleived you for a moment.

Fave tracK: Colors And The Kids

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

Forgot about that one.

I almost beleived you for a moment.

Fave tracK: Colors And The Kids

She probably likes Dylan, more than I do anyway. :)

I love it all, but maybe Back Of Your Head and Colors And The Kids fractionally surpass the rest of the album.

Her pre-Moon Pix stuff is supposed to be good, but I've never wanted to listen to anything but this album, because I thought it could never come close.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts