What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 211 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
I'm not too keen on Jazz, sorry. I just don't 'get' the 'sheets of sound' thing. Just sounds like a mass of notes to me. Should I get my coat? :grin:

No, Freddy, please stay. I want you to stay. You're a source of endless amusement. :)

Well, at least that makes me useful :) I guess I'm just not clever enough to appreciate it, my bad.

It's not about being clever. It's about educating yourself by listening to new things. Jazz is often very soulful and beautiful, Freddy. It's not all honking and bleating.

Hiya Jim. Thing is, I'm a big fan of melody, and with Jazz, with my limited musical vocabluary, I just don't hear any (melody).

Well this has melody and it's jazz: Youtube Keith Jarret: 'My Song.' European influenced and melodic. It wont let me post the link. See if you can find something to hang on to in this lovely Keith Jarrett song. Then we'll move slowly to the outer limits of jazz weirdness!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Well this has melody and it's jazz: Youtube Keith Jarret: 'My Song.' European influenced and melodic. It wont let me post the link. See if you can find something to hang on to in this lovely Keith Jarrett song. Then we'll move slowly to the outer limits of jazz weirdness!

I just listened, and it's not too bad :) Quite a virtuoso performance (I noted the intonation), but it was nothing like Elton Johns' version :grin: (just kiddin') I can't say that I've heard a lot of Coltrain, but what I have heard, leaves me cold.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

I just listened, and it's not too bad :) Quite a virtuoso performance (I noted the intonation), but it was nothing like Elton Johns' version :grin: (just kiddin') I can't say that I've heard a lot of Coltrain, but what I have heard, leaves me cold.

Well then maybe you should continue with Keith Jarrett and more European classical influenced jazz. If you haven't heard Keith Jarrett' The Koln Concert' then you have to-solo piano and all about melody.This could be your way in. Good music to go to sleep to too. Give you sweet dreams. Youtube it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Pixies-TrompeLeMondeCover.jpg

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Johnny Harris - All To Bring You Morning

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Ruggiero Ricci - Barber & Menotti violin concertos.

I'm still listening to my new Nagaoka cartridge, slowly listening to my records.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Marvindodgers said:
There seems to be a lot of support for My Morning Jacket on this forum. They are not a band I know at all. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for a start point to give them a listen?

[/quote

Hi Marvin,

My Morning Jacket are a wonderful, wonderful band. I'll do my best to précis their manifold charms and triumphs over each album, to date. Here goes:

1) The Tennessee Fire - their debut. Reminds me a little of The Baptist Generals, if you know their stuff. As a debut it gives few clues of what will come next but does include several country-styled lo-fi, scratchy tunes. Beautiful and unrefined. Perhaps more emphasis on the latter word. Plus, their drummer at the time couldn't really drum. And it all sounds like it's recorded in a well-mic-ed shoe box.

2) At Dawn - their first masterpiece. Not a bit like the first album really. Expansive, rolling soundscapes all drenched in a silo-recorded reverb. Which might not make for an audiophile listen but makes for a heartbreaking set of songs. The first true manifestation of Jim James' voice, guitar-playing and songwriting. Key songs: The Way That He Sings & Stangulation. It's a long album. Loads of detours, not much concision.

3) It Still Moves - more polished but they lose nothing of their allure. Big, occasional Grateful Dead-esque guitar pieces nestle alongside folksy, homespun acoustic numbers. And once again the reverb-drenched voice works wonders.

4) Z - another masterpiece. But this time over 45 minutes, their shortest and most accessible album. Soulful vocals (he dropped the reverb), dextrous drumming and twin guitar attack on many songs. Includes the transcendent studio take of Dondante. Lay Low, Anytime and Off The Record are songs I can't live without. It rocks. In a blues-jam yet controlled manner.

5) Evil Urges - back to a longer running time. More experimental, in places. Funky, drum-machines, yet almost proggy in places. Still loads of gentle acoustic, poppy numbers alongside the sprawling mass of sounds. Also includes some of their rawest garage rock. It's all over the place, in a good way.

6) Circuital - not quite as good as Z, but in similar vein. Shorter running time, one or two immortal and quieter moments. Lacks the elongated Neil Young guitar meditations I love but does include Holding On To Black Metal and Victory Dance, two very different takes on rock-atmospherics.

New studio LP is due this year.

They have one highly recommended live LP, Okonokos which goes upto and includes songs from Fire to Z. It's a fantastically recorded live LP and does Justice to their live act. It captures their many aspects and manages to add something to the already great studio versions. There are many, many live downaloads of whole shows on their official site. For me, they are all worth having but I'm probably just a bit much of an obsessive to say otherwise.

Hope that gives some idea of where to start.

Thanks for that. I think I'll head to Spotify and give them a listen.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Well then maybe you should continue with Keith Jarrett and more European classical influenced jazz. If you haven't heard Keith Jarrett' The Koln Concert' then you have to-solo piano and all about melody.This could be your way in. Good music to go to sleep to too. Give you sweet dreams. Youtube it.

Hi Jim,

I've gone a bit mad and ordered a big chunk of the albums you listed, well the ones I don't already have. My contact at Crash Records likes a good "research" project, so I've asked him if he can help me source vinyl versions where available and CD copies where not. In the meantime, I'll be scouring the usual places (fairs, charity shops, Jumbo & Relics etc) for other related items. More fun than a few clicks on line.

Tonight's/last night's tunes:

Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison

Experiment Below - Hovercraft

Wise Up Ghost - Elvis Costello & The Roots

Force - A Certain Ratio

Concerto For Orchestra - Bartok/Solti/CSO

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Closed my eyes and had a random dip into my pile of LPs and came up with this one..

Yes+-+Going+For+The+One+-+LP+RECORD-522860.jpg

.. not too sure I really like this one too much.

I always thought that they were great musicians, making terrible music :)

That's a pretty good summation Freddy. After listening to this album all the way through I had the urge to put some Ramones on.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Closed my eyes and had a random dip into my pile of LPs and came up with this one..

Yes+-+Going+For+The+One+-+LP+RECORD-522860.jpg

.. not too sure I really like this one too much.

I always thought that they were great musicians, making terrible music :)

That's a pretty good summation Freddy. After listening to this album all the way through I had the urge to put some Ramones on.

Works for me :) Having said that, I quite like 'Time And A Word' (YES) ;) Worth checking out, if you ain't tried it...

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Jim-W said:
'Countdown To Ecstasy' is full of great songs.'Razor Boy' is lovely, but my favourite is 'Pearl Of The Quarter.' It's the ambiguity: is he a dumb schmuck or tender and understanding? Or, maybe like most of us, both. either way, it's hard to beat a song about falling for a hooker with a steel guitar accompaniment.

Hi Jim, Only the second time I've played this although I do know some of the songs.I found myself singing along to My Old School and Show Biz Kids which is unusual for me (probably why it rained) must be the new speakers. Next time I play it I'll follow the lyrics on the sleeve.
Currently playing

413xDMOGm4L._SY450_.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hi Jim,

I've gone a bit mad and ordered a big chunk of the albums you listed, well the ones I don't already have. My contact at Crash Records likes a good "research" project, so I've asked him if he can help me source vinyl versions where available and CD copies where not. In the meantime, I'll be scouring the usual places (fairs, charity shops, Jumbo & Relics etc) for other related items. More fun than a few clicks on line.

Tonight's/last night's tunes:

Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison

Experiment Below - Hovercraft

Wise Up Ghost - Elvis Costello & The Roots

Force - A Certain Ratio

Concerto For Orchestra - Bartok/Solti/CSO

Well, I hope you like them, Charlie! I feel a terrible sense of responsibility now! As a result of these conversations, I went up the rickety stairs to the loft and brought down just about all of my Coltrane LPs and there's one I think I forgot to mention which is really worth having. It's a double lp entitled, 'More Lasting Than Bronze' I haven't seen it at markets or record shops for years but it's worthwhile because it pairs two great Prestige label records, 'Coltrane' and 'Lush Life.' If you can't find it, I'd recommend both of these albums too.

Funny record, 'Tupelo Honey.' It often gets overlooked because I suppose it's a happy Van record but there's some great songs on there and it has it's own biissed-out vibe.I don't play it that often but when I do I always enjoy it.

Hi Lost Angeles. I can't get listen to 'Countdown To Ecstasy' without singing along either. in fact, I can't listen to Steely Dan without singing along full stop. I wish I could play along; now that would be something.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Don't worry about feeling any sense of responsibility Jim, where applicable I've been Spotify-ing away for the last few days. Of the LPs I've never heard before Plays The Blues, Ole and Live At Village Vanguard are really incredible listens. Thoroughly mesmerising: so much transcendent, beautiful music . I'm trying to sample only a few at a time so I can gradually absorb each one. I'm not too familiar with the chronology, although the different styles and approach are fairly evident.

My only dilemma now is whether to go with the undoubtedly cheaper CD options, box set and otherwise or the vinyl.

I'll see what kind of priced Mr.Crash Records comes up with.

Many thanks for your elucidation and your latest suggestion. Time to scurry off and prepare for tonight's game!!!! We can do this, can't we???

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
John Coltrane - Coltrane In Tokyo Vol. 1

John Coltrane - Coltrane In Tokyo Vol. 2

Sonic Youth - Sister

Scratch Acid - Scratch Acid

DAF - Die Kleinen Und Die Bosen

Negativland - Escape From Noise

Wish I could scrobble from my TT, but then I guess lists are for nerds.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Marvindodgers said:
There seems to be a lot of support for My Morning Jacket on this forum. They are not a band I know at all. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for a start point to give them a listen?

[/quote

Hi Marvin,

My Morning Jacket are a wonderful, wonderful band. I'll do my best to précis their manifold charms and triumphs over each album, to date. Here goes:

1) The Tennessee Fire - their debut. Reminds me a little of The Baptist Generals, if you know their stuff. As a debut it gives few clues of what will come next but does include several country-styled lo-fi, scratchy tunes. Beautiful and unrefined. Perhaps more emphasis on the latter word. Plus, their drummer at the time couldn't really drum. And it all sounds like it's recorded in a well-mic-ed shoe box.

2) At Dawn - their first masterpiece. Not a bit like the first album really. Expansive, rolling soundscapes all drenched in a silo-recorded reverb. Which might not make for an audiophile listen but makes for a heartbreaking set of songs. The first true manifestation of Jim James' voice, guitar-playing and songwriting. Key songs: The Way That He Sings & Stangulation. It's a long album. Loads of detours, not much concision.

3) It Still Moves - more polished but they lose nothing of their allure. Big, occasional Grateful Dead-esque guitar pieces nestle alongside folksy, homespun acoustic numbers. And once again the reverb-drenched voice works wonders.

4) Z - another masterpiece. But this time over 45 minutes, their shortest and most accessible album. Soulful vocals (he dropped the reverb), dextrous drumming and twin guitar attack on many songs. Includes the transcendent studio take of Dondante. Lay Low, Anytime and Off The Record are songs I can't live without. It rocks. In a blues-jam yet controlled manner.

5) Evil Urges - back to a longer running time. More experimental, in places. Funky, drum-machines, yet almost proggy in places. Still loads of gentle acoustic, poppy numbers alongside the sprawling mass of sounds. Also includes some of their rawest garage rock. It's all over the place, in a good way.

6) Circuital - not quite as good as Z, but in similar vein. Shorter running time, one or two immortal and quieter moments. Lacks the elongated Neil Young guitar meditations I love but does include Holding On To Black Metal and Victory Dance, two very different takes on rock-atmospherics.

New studio LP is due this year.

They have one highly recommended live LP, Okonokos which goes upto and includes songs from Fire to Z. It's a fantastically recorded live LP and does Justice to their live act. It captures their many aspects and manages to add something to the already great studio versions. There are many, many live downaloads of whole shows on their official site. For me, they are all worth having but I'm probably just a bit much of an obsessive to say otherwise.

Hope that gives some idea of where to start.

Thanks for that. I think I'll head to Spotify and give them a listen.

I'll just be brief as I was listening on Spotify, not vinyl. Just wanted to say thanks to Charlie Jefferson for the tip off about My Morning Jacket. What a great band! I've played Z through about three times and absolutely love it. Played sections of Circuital as well. I will be listening to more.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Don't worry about feeling any sense of responsibility Jim, where applicable I've been Spotify-ing away for the last few days. Of the LPs I've never heard before Plays The Blues, Ole and Live At Village Vanguard are really incredible listens. Thoroughly mesmerising: so much transcendent, beautiful music . I'm trying to sample only a few at a time so I can gradually absorb each one. I'm not too familiar with the chronology, although the different styles and approach are fairly evident.

My only dilemma now is whether to go with the undoubtedly cheaper CD options, box set and otherwise or the vinyl.

I'll see what kind of priced Mr.Crash Records comes up with.

Many thanks for your elucidation and your latest suggestion. Time to scurry off and prepare for tonight's game!!!! We can do this, can't we???

Hi Charlie. Really glad you liked what you heard. Yep, he was aiming for transcendence and much of his music gets there; little wonder then that there's a Church Of Saint John Coltrane in the USA. You must listen to 'First Meditations'; that's typical, if quite easy, late-period Coltrane where he's really well, going for it, I guess. Great torrents of notes and much more out there; then listen to 'Meditations' with a different band which is very out there. There's a great beauty in the later stuff but it's not always easy to listen to.

Can we do it? Well, stranger things have hapened and er 'it's a funny old game' but it's going to be very difficult. However, even if Bayern score, United have to do what they've got to do anyway and score. That gives me a bit of hope. Tell you something though, I'd love United to do it to silence the David Moyes criticism; I'm not sure he's the right man for the job but he's been unjustly savaged by the press and some fans as you well know. I hope it's a good game and I've been praying all day.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the further tip offs. My bank balance may suffer but my joy will be unconfined, so death to money, as McCarthy once almost said at their agit-prop pop best.

As for the game and Moyes. Yes, it's possible and yes if would be great for the much vilified man. And us lot. Just readying the crate of jubilation/commiseration before kick off.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
As for the game and Moyes. Yes, it's possible and yes if would be great for the much vilified man. And us lot. Just readying the crate of jubilation/commiseration before kick off.

That's enough football talk Charlie.

For what it's worth, I was more than a little disappointed with the Bayern team in the first game, and on clear chances, Utd deserved to win the game. I'm not watching tonight's game for 2 reasons; 1. I no longer have Sky Sports 2. The Athletico/Barce game is on Sky 1, and is a rather tasty affair.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Today:

Kenny Wheeler-'Deer Wan.'

Moby Grape-'Wow/Grape Jam.'

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger And The Trinity-Same title, Polydor compilation.

The Psychedelic Furs-'Talk Talk Talk.'

John Coltrane-'Stellar Regions.'

John Coltrane-John Coltrane. Prestige.

Disappointed with the Man Utd result; I was dreaming for about 7 seconds. Oh well, life goes on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts