What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 209 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

front.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife has talked me into going to the Sabbath gig at Hyde Park, so I'm giving this a spin for only the 2nd time since I bought it. Perfect condition,

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

Well, I actually like this record. I don't normally let my guard down regarding music but hey, there ya go. I said it. I haven't been drinking either.

It's not entirely my cup of tea, but it certainly has it's moments.

I'd have to check what I paid for it (I bought at a car boot along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), but I'm pretty sure it was a good price for the two. The sleeve is excellent, the record is absolutely flawless, I couldn't hear even the slightest of crackles when the needle hit the record, and nothing at all during or inbetween tracks.

Check the gatefold inner:if it's white it's worth a bit, if it's black it's worth a whole lot more. Hundreds maybe-I've seen it go for £300+

Mine's black so that's 300 smakerubles then, thank you!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife has talked me into going to the Sabbath gig at Hyde Park, so I'm giving this a spin for only the 2nd time since I bought it. Perfect condition,

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

Well, I actually like this record. I don't normally let my guard down regarding music but hey, there ya go. I said it. I haven't been drinking either.

It's not entirely my cup of tea, but it certainly has it's moments.

I'd have to check what I paid for it (I bought at a car boot along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), but I'm pretty sure it was a good price for the two. The sleeve is excellent, the record is absolutely flawless, I couldn't hear even the slightest of crackles when the needle hit the record, and nothing at all during or inbetween tracks.

Check the gatefold inner:if it's white it's worth a bit, if it's black it's worth a whole lot more. Hundreds maybe-I've seen it go for £300+

Mine's black so that's 300 smakerubles then, thank you!

Erm, not necessarily 300. I know a dealer who got that for it and I reckon you'd easily get £100+. It's like anything though, it's only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it at the time you put it up for sale. I've seen rare records go for peanuts on ebay with nothing much wrong with them; conversely, just after Michael Jackson died his regular releases were fetching ridiculous amounts of money. It's a funny old game.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Some from today:

Rickie Lee Jones-'Pirates.' Such a beautiful record.

Dave Brubeck-'Time Further Out.'

Lush-'Sweetness And Light.' 12".

Cannonball Adderley Quintet-'In San Francisco.'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I'm still looking for 'Split' on vinyl but it's proving to be elusive.

http://www.discogs.com/marketplace?master_id=19721&format=Vinyl

Expensive though.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jim-W

Have you got Gala & Spooky on vinyl, mind you Gala is a collection of EPs, bloody good music if you ask me pre-Garbage

Got my ST40 warmed up, listening to

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Lamb - Lamb (re-issue)

Orbital - Brown Album

Pixies - Doolittle

Pixies - Bossanova

Bottle of Merlot drunk - hell I'm carrying on and loving it

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
jim-W

Have you got Gala & Spooky on vinyl, mind you Gala is a collection of EPs, bloody good music if you ask me pre-Garbage

Got my ST40 warmed up, listening to

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Lamb - Lamb (re-issue)

Orbital - Brown Album

Pixies - Doolittle

Pixies - Bossanova

Bottle of Merlot drunk - hell I'm carrying on and loving it

Sorry Steve, would have answered you earlier but my dear mother was on the phone.

Yes, I've got 'Gala' EP, 'Spooky' Lp and most of the 12" singles. It's just a decent copy of 'Split' that I can't find. I agree with you;it's easily some of the best music of the nineties and I'll stick my kneck out and say that 'Split' is a contender for the guitar album of the nineties too. Just listen to 'Desire Lines' and tell me I'm wrong! To be honest I like their Britpop last lp too. In fact, I rate Lush very highly and think the British music press massively underrated them. One of the greatest bands ever. There, I said it. Pixies are brilliant too. Oh and Massive Attack.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
I'm still looking for 'Split' on vinyl but it's proving to be elusive.

Expensive though.

That is utterly ridiculous-massively inflated. My bloke will do it for about £20 I would think. If he can find one! He's been looking for a few years now. It's become something of a rarity, mind you, all of the 4AD stuff will rise in value in the next few years. Better find one soon.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Why oh why were Lush so underated!

I saw them live in Leciester, circa 91/92 could more or less see right up Miki Berenyi's skirt

I have a theory. Ahem. The old guard in the British music press did their best to discredit them from the start: there were always stories of them arriving at parties drunk and out of it. I think there was a jealousy too. Lush had massive talent but knew how to enjoy themselves and I would imagine somewhere or other Miki and Chris told the NME hacks to erm get lost or words to that effect. Certainly, it's clear that Lush had enemies within the rawk press because everything written about them was so negative. They made exceptionally good records and they should have been highly regarded as songwriters and as a damn good band. I don't think they played the game with the NME who were so damn influential. It's all conjecture as I haven't a clue but I think it's safe to say that something'somebody queered their pitchj.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
stevebrock said:

I saw them live in Leciester, circa 91/92 could more or less see right up Miki Berenyi's skirt

I have a theory. Ahem. The old guard in the British music press did their best to discredit them from the start: there were always stories of them arriving at parties drunk and out of it. I think there was a jealousy too. Lush had massive talent but knew how to enjoy themselves and I would imagine somewhere or other Miki and Chris told the NME hacks to erm get lost or words to that effect. Certainly, it's clear that Lush had enemies within the rawk press because everything written about them was so negative. They made exceptionally good records and they should have been highly regarded as songwriters and as a damn good band. I don't think they played the game with the NME who were so damn influential. It's all conjecture as I haven't a clue but I think it's safe to say that something'somebody queered their pitchj.

That is a damn shame

Loved the sound - in actual fact ive had to put cd player on now

Lush - For Love ..... sorry its a CD though

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Jim-W said:
stevebrock said:

That is a damn shame

Loved the sound - in actual fact ive had to put cd player on now

Lush - For Love ..... sorry its a CD though

'For Love' is a great record. The video on youtube is lovely. Miki looks like she's fallen from heaven.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts