What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 207 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
418453713322:500

Just checking it out now, on Youtube, sounds pretty good, so far...

You actually have the vinyl of this? 1 hour 10mins running time?

Double album Freddy. 300 numbered pressings and that was that.. I have 2 of em and one unplayed , these go for an arm and a leg.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Freddy58 said:
418453713322:500

Just checking it out now, on Youtube, sounds pretty good, so far...

You actually have the vinyl of this? 1 hour 10mins running time?

Double album Freddy. 300 numbered pressings and that was that.. I have 2 of em and one unplayed , these go for an arm and a leg.

I listened to all of it, on youtube. I can't make up my mind about it....to me, some good, some not so...

I'd be interested to know what you think of Quintessence?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Got to have a shower, but I'll be back with more detail, but try this as a sampler for the first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS54I4Xh234

Did you try this track?

Yes, rawer and edgier. Like it.

I forsee a purchase. :)

How did you know I was going into Jumbo tomorrow? (To return a scratchy copy of We Are Cachers brilliant debut, btw)

I doubt Jumbo will have TPF on vinyl but Relics might.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
jimbofisher said:
Dexys - Don't Stand Me Down

He of the Midnight Runners fame? Seriously?

Freddy, in the politest sense, can I ask what music do you wholeheartedly like, love, adore even?

Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy the indications of your highly selective tastes. I just wondered what they were?

Hiya Charlie.

Just to start with, I got sick to death with 'Come On Eileen', hence my comment. What do I like? I like all kinds. From Hendrix to Sedaka, from Deep Purple to The Moody Blues. Anything with a good melody, pretty much. Blues, rock, country (the likes of Neil Young), folk, but not that hand on ear stuff. Loads of stuff really, even some pop...Beatles, Abba, ELO. If it's got a good melody, I like it. I must say though that The Moody Blues take me on a musical journey. Damn, you've asked such a difficult question, there's so much that I like, it would take forever to list! I could of course post a stack of links to just a few of my favourite tunes, but that would just bore everyone on here. Do you doubt my sincerity? Maybe it would help if I listed my favourite albums?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, "highly selective" I guess it's fair to say I don't like everything just because it's music. I like what I like. Maybe I have my limitations? I won't apologise for that. I respect other folks tastes, but admit to sometimes being surprised, but hey, if it floats your boat, that's great. Some folks even think that the Spice Girls compare to The Beatles...

Yes, I'm opinionated, but isn't everyone to some extent? Anyway, what I look for in music, is something that provokes an emotion within me, which is as it should be, imo :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Fred,

Thanks for filling me in, you've certainly given me a good idea of what you like. I wasn't quesioning the legitimacy of your tastes or opinions, merely fascinated by another person's like and dislikes.

No, I too would be highly suspicious if somene seriously compared the musical merits of The Beatles to The Spice Girls. But I do own all of the albums by one of those groups and just one by the other!!! I think the Scousers just edge it, btw.

As for Dexy's, Come On Eileen, which I actually still really like, isn't at all like the songs on Don't Stand Me Down. Like lots of bands, if they're any good or have got it in them creatively, their big hits or most well-known songs often become an artistic albatross and fix people's view of that band based on the hit. Don't Stand Me Down is a cult classic. I suppose. Style,sound, ideas - all far removed from Too-Ry-Aye.

More music: late night/ear;y morning:

The Tennessee Fire - My Morning Jacket

and then, non-vinyl, nearly all of MMJ's three recent Mexican shows (in fine sounding 24bit) totalling seven hours. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re Dexy's

I remember buying 'Searching For The New Soul Rebels' the day it came out. Still got it;still love it. 'Burn It Down' was the most exhilarating blast of beautiful defiance I had ever heard. Now that was genuinely music that changed my life. A year or so later, on teaching practice in Nelson in Lancashire, I wasstill wearing my Dexy's- inspired donkey jacket; some kid wrote PDC in chalk on the back of it. Pendle District Council. I knew from that day onwards that children were not to be meddled with:some of them were smarter than me!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Just to start with, I got sick to death with 'Come On Eileen', hence my comment.

That's kind of understandable, but I've learned to listen to it without the thought of people singing and dancing to it at weddings and discos, and it's a great song, it really is.

I only have 2 Dexys albums, Searching For The Young Soul Rebels, and Too-Ry-Ay, and they're both great, and both incredibly different.

Some bands have a hit, then keep selling their souls to repeat that success, Dexys did it deliberately the other way, on their own terms, and we should all love them for it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Re Dexy's

I remember buying 'Searching For The New Soul Rebels' the day it came out. Still got it;still love it. 'Burn It Down' was the most exhilarating blast of beautiful defiance I had ever heard. Now that was genuinely music that changed my life. A year or so later, on teaching practice in Nelson in Lancashire, I was still wearing my Dexy's- inspired donkey jacket; some kid wrote PDC in chalk on the back of it. Pendle District Council. I knew from that day onwards that children were not to be meddled with:some of them were smarter than me!

Brilliant. I can't take the blame for that one, never been to Nelson. ;)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Just to start with, I got sick to death with 'Come On Eileen', hence my comment.

That's kind of understandable, but I've learned to listen to it without the thought of people singing and dancing to it at weddings and discos, and it's a great song, it really is.

I only have 2 Dexys albums, Searching For The Young Soul Rebels, and Too-Ry-Ay, and they're both great, and both incredibly different.

Some bands have a hit, then keep selling their souls to repeat that success, Dexys did it deliberately the other way, on their own terms, and we should all love them for it.

Precisely.

cf Kevin Rowland's solo LPs, The Wanderer (fantastic voice, startling production) and My Beauty (oft-derided, but consciously the portriat of the troubled artist. It almost feels intrusive listening to it).

Admiration declared but I couldn't quite get or get into the 2012 LP for some reason. Maybe I'll re-visit it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Re Dexy's

I remember buying 'Searching For The New Soul Rebels' the day it came out. Still got it;still love it. 'Burn It Down' was the most exhilarating blast of beautiful defiance I had ever heard. Now that was genuinely music that changed my life. A year or so later, on teaching practice in Nelson in Lancashire, I wasstill wearing my Dexy's- inspired donkey jacket; some kid wrote PDC in chalk on the back of it. Pendle District Council. I knew from that day onwards that children were not to be meddled with:some of them were smarter than me!

[/quote

I know Nelson. I went to high school on the Yorkshire side of the border in sunny Keighley.

PDC graffiti rules, OK??

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Re Dexy's

[/quote

I know Nelson. I went to high school on the Yorkshire side of the border in sunny Keighley.

PDC graffiti rules, OK??

Well, I know Keighley, Charlie. Well I know a woman, she was a slip of a girl then, from Keighley. I walked into her college room and this strange and wonderful music filled the room. Nah, it wasn't love, it was John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme.' That was me done. The beginning of a love affair with jazz. As you've previously stated on many occasions, everything's connected.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Re Dexy's

[/quote

PDC graffiti rules, OK??

Well, I know Keighley, Charlie. Well I know a woman, she was a slip of a girl then, from Keighley. I walked into her college room and this strange and wonderful music filled the room. Nah, it wasn't love, it was John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme.' That was me done. The beginning of a love affair with jazz. As you've previously stated on many occasions, everything's connected.

I can buy a love affair with jazz but for a moment I was expecting you to say, "so began a love affair with Keighley", which notwithstanding it's Taylor's beer, Worth Valley Steam railway and nearby Brontes, would still be a rather strange thing to contemplate.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Little_Feat_-_The_Last_Record_Album.jpg

I picked this up this morning from a local record shop Endless Music for £4.00 and it's playing perfectly. Sleeve's a bit tatty but apart from that a very good purchase.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My wife has talked me into going to the Sabbath gig at Hyde Park, so I'm giving this a spin for only the 2nd time since I bought it. Perfect condition,

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife has talked me into going to the Sabbath gig at Hyde Park, so I'm giving this a spin for only the 2nd time since I bought it. Perfect condition,

Well, I actually like this record. I don't normally let my guard down regarding music but hey, there ya go. I said it. I haven't been drinking either.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Well, I actually like this record. I don't normally let my guard down regarding music but hey, there ya go. I said it. I haven't been drinking either.

It's not entirely my cup of tea, but it certainly has it's moments.

I'd have to check what I paid for it (I bought at a car boot along with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), but I'm pretty sure it was a good price for the two. The sleeve is excellent, the record is absolutely flawless, I couldn't hear even the slightest of crackles when the needle hit the record, and nothing at all during or inbetween tracks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts