What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 205 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Mr BRESSLAW!!!
That's the cleanest cover in the series. Brilliant comp though.

Try these Freddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzI48yJroc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGrSVtRWf34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3GOrusaJg4
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
What the world needs now is not love, sweet love but a John Cooper-Clarke for today to rage, scabrously, about this current sickness:

John Cooper Clake-Snap, Crackle And Bop

Oh and a hard-hitting ad angry band like The Jam:

The Jam-Setting Sons.

And a puppet show that hammers 'em like Spitting Image.

The Smiths-Louder Than bombs.

My Bloody Valentine-Loveless.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Mr BRESSLAW!!!
That's the cleanest cover in the series. Brilliant comp though.

Try these Freddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzI48yJroc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGrSVtRWf34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3GOrusaJg4
Not really something I would sit and listen to, but heard live at a gig, that brass would work for me :)
 

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
A rare visit for me in this section. Anyhoo , now spinnin at insane spls .

Ye either know what tis or ye dont lol.

 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim-W said:
What the world needs now is not love, sweet love but a John Cooper-Clarke for today to rage, scabrously, about this current sickness:

John Cooper Clake-Snap, Crackle And Bop

Oh and a hard-hitting ad angry band like The Jam:

The Jam-Setting Sons.

And a puppet show that hammers 'em like Spitting Image.

The Smiths-Louder Than bombs.

My Bloody Valentine-Loveless.
Careful with the social(ist) commentary, Jim, somebody will accuse you of bringing this thread into disrepute. Didn't you know politics ans music DO NOT mix. Oh wait!!!! Do you actually mean politics, love, life, music, films, plays, novels, food, adverts, furnitutre,pet food are all interconnected???

Facetious rant over.

I eventually tracked down and cleaned Forever Now by The Psychedelic Furs. I've just played side 1, and it's great. Better than I'd half-remembered it. Both of it's time but also very prescient in sound and sentiment. Like a cooler take on Duran Duran. The guys voice is a thing of affected wonder.

I like it.
 

omnibeard

New member
Dec 7, 2010
27
0
0
Last few...

Butthole Surfers - Double Live

V/A - Island Of Sanity: New Music From New York City

Big Black - Atomizer

Virgin Prunes - If I Die, I Die

Alice Coltrane - Reflection On Creation And Space

Bongwater - Too Much Sleep
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Charlie Jefferson said:
I eventually tracked down and cleaned Forever Now by The Psychedelic Furs. I've just played side 1, and it's great. Better than I'd half-remembered it. Both of it's time but also very prescient in sound and sentiment. Like a cooler take on Duran Duran. The guys voice is a thing of affected wonder.

I like it.
I'm playing it now. Not sure about the Duran Duran comparison (though it does sound very 80s) and I'm not sure I'm enjoying it that much, though 'Love My Way' is a great tune.

The first album is easily my favourite, and the one to go for if you haven't got it Charlie.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
floyd droid said:
One from my ' When I snuff it dont let the Floydette flog it on fleabay as a BIN for a tenner ' collection.

I imagine that's quite good? Raja Ram innit?

EDIT : Yes, Raja Ram. If you like that, might be worth checking out Quintessence, 'Dive Deep'
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Couldn't take anymore of Forever Now.....

I remember the sleeve, though I don't own a copy.

Forever Now sounds pretty good after all these years. Did they just fade away after another LP or two? Members died/sued each other/became music therapists/90s onwards reunions???
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Got to have a shower, but I'll be back with more detail, but try this as a sampler for the first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS54I4Xh234
 

omnibeard

New member
Dec 7, 2010
27
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Couldn't take anymore of Forever Now.....

I remember the sleeve, though I don't own a copy.

Forever Now sounds pretty good after all these years. Did they just fade away after another LP or two? Members died/sued each other/became music therapists/90s onwards reunions???
For me this is their best album by miles and miles. Noisy, lovely dirginess. Indiaaaaahhhh!!!!!

All downhill from here though - I love the next two albums, Talk Talk Talk and Forever Now, for the memories as much as anything, but then they just seemed to veer towards being a Marlboro Red addicted Del Amitri.
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Duran Duran and Del Amitri compared to The Psychedelic Furs? Man, I gotta get this stuff out of the house; there's a funny smell in here.


Charlie Parker on Dial. Various volumes.

John Coltrane-Sun Ship.

Ornette Coleman-Live At The Golden Circle.

Keith Jarrett-Death And The Flower.

I've steered well away from pop music today.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Charlie Jefferson said:
Did they just fade away after another LP or two?
The two albums that followed Forever Now were their most commercially successful, the second one of the two, Midnight To Midnight was utterly awful. Two more albums followed, which were moderately successful, and a lot better than MTM.

Charlie Jefferson said:
Members died
No

Charlie Jefferson said:
sued each other
No

Charlie Jefferson said:
became music therapists
No

Charlie Jefferson said:
90s onwards reunions???
Sort of. They split in 1991, and reformed in 2001.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Thanks for the concise history, BBB. I occasionally spot some of their later albums at fairs, so may purchase if the price is right. Now that I'm a fan, again.

Tonight:

1) Workers Playtime - Billy Bragg

2) All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS