What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 204 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
All this Psychedilc Furs talk reminded me that I own one of their albums. It's the one with Love My Way on it, green and pinky yellow cover if my mind can correctly recall an album I haven't played in thirty years. Bizarrely, I know exactly where it is: amongst a few hundred in the loft. I'm venturing up there tonight on another mission but will endeavour to seek it out. I think I liked it at the time, but it was, like The Stooges LP yesterday, forever associated with someone else. It will need a clean but after the United/Bayern game I'll give it a spin. It might cheer me up a smidgeon after an anticipated defeat.

Hiya Charlie. Out of interest, how many albums (vinyl) do you have?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
Hello BBB

Oh yes, I love Talk Talk Talk. I think it's better than the first album. Well, different in a more catchy pop sort of way. I've played it loads since I bought it and it's becoming quite a favourite.

I do prefer the first album, just love the rawness of it.

Well, if you like TTT, then you might like Forever Now, infact, you might like most of their albums, but I was serious about Midnight To Midnight, it's absolute horse manure.

Even if you see it for 50p, and think, it's got to be worth the risk for that much, it isn't.

All this Psychedilc Furs talk reminded me that I own one of their albums. It's the one with Love My Way on it, green and pinky yellow cover if my mind can correctly recall an album I haven't played in thirty years. Bizarrely, I know exactly where it is: amongst a few hundred in the loft. I'm venturing up there tonight on another mission but will endeavour to seek it out. I think I liked it at the time, but it was, like The Stooges LP yesterday, forever associated with someone else. It will need a clean but after the United/Bayern game I'll give it a spin. It might cheer me up a smidgeon after an anticipated defeat.

That was on 'Forever Now', third album. Charlie I can't actually believe you're a Manchester United fan because that would mean that we have something else in common. I anticipate a defeat tonight too; there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. I very much like David Moyes and he was great at Everton but United need a big personality manager. I'd have gone for Jose Mourinho, the king of comedy.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
61IgpfP6TZL._AA160_.jpg

David Gilmour first album, the track Raise My Rent must rate as one of my top 5 favourite instrumentals.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I very much like David Moyes and he was great at Everton but United need a big personality manager. I'd have gone for Jose Mourinho, the king of comedy.

Some new decent defenders and midfielders wouldn't go amiss either.

Moyes and Mourinho will both end up winning nowt this season.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
I very much like David Moyes and he was great at Everton but United need a big personality manager. I'd have gone for Jose Mourinho, the king of comedy.

Some new decent defenders and midfielders wouldn't go amiss either.

Moyes and Mourinho will both end up winning nowt this season.

Yes, agreed about defenders and midfield. Never write Mourinho off though.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Roughly 3,000 LPs, approx 500 12" singles and boxes of 7" too. I did a count about two years ago because my wife insisted they were insured.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
Hello BBB

Oh yes, I love Talk Talk Talk. I think it's better than the first album. Well, different in a more catchy pop sort of way. I've played it loads since I bought it and it's becoming quite a favourite.

I do prefer the first album, just love the rawness of it.

Well, if you like TTT, then you might like Forever Now, infact, you might like most of their albums, but I was serious about Midnight To Midnight, it's absolute horse manure.

Even if you see it for 50p, and think, it's got to be worth the risk for that much, it isn't.

That was on 'Forever Now', third album. Charlie I can't actually believe you're a Manchester United fan because that would mean that we have something else in common. I anticipate a defeat tonight too; there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. I very much like David Moyes and he was great at Everton but United need a big personality manager. I'd have gone for Jose Mourinho, the king of comedy.

Blimey Jim, we certainly seem to have one or two things in common. Yes a lifelong United fan. As an 8-9 year old I saw the *** end of the Busby era. I can't really remember it but my brother tells me I watched Best, Charlton and Law. My bonding season was 74-75 though, in the old Second Division. I saw loads of games, including illustrious league fixtures against Tranmere, Notts County and Blackpool. I've got all the programmes somewhere from that season. A then unknown Steve Coppell made his debut from the subs bench. Spelt Koppel in the programme!!

No way to Jose for me though. I think Moyes will come good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Some new decent defenders and midfielders wouldn't go amiss either

A whole team really, and I wouldn't trust Moyes to buy a decent player.

£27 million for Fellaini. :rofl:

Rooney £300,000 a week :rofl:

Cleverley to get a new contract :rofl:

Brilliant stuff.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Roughly 3,000 LPs, approx 500 12" singles and boxes of 7" too. I did a count about two years ago because my wife insisted they were insured.

3,000 eh? Makes my 200+ seem a bit pathetic :doh: Have you bought these in more recent times, or are you a lifelong collector?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My oldest LP, a Xmas present from my mum the year it came out. A cursory glance at the surface would suggest it should sound garbage, but thankfully after over 40 years it still passes muster...

Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

3,000 eh? Makes my 200+ seem a bit pathetic :doh: Have you bought these in more recent times, or are you a lifelong collector?

Well, compared to some here it's a slender haul. Quality of course beats quantity. But then again it's good to spread the net far and wide, I say.

I'll be fifty this year, so my collection is about forty years old. I had a gap, like many here, where I didn't buy much and CDs took over (1993/4 to 2003/4), then vinyl once again took over. My life, my house, my brain, my marriage. . .

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Well, compared to some here it's a slender haul. Quality of course beats quantity. But then again it's good to spread the net far and wide, I say.

I'll be fifty this year, so my collection is about forty years old. I had a gap, like many here, where I didn't buy much and CDs took over (1993/4 to 2003/4), then vinyl once again took over. My life, my house, my brain, my marriage. . .

As you may be aware, I will fairly soon be re-building a system, so I anticipate a spending spree :) Trouble is, I can see myself spending hours and hours, browsing through brown boxes with the wife in tow. Riot act? :read: Ah well, a man should have a hobby :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Brilliant stuff.

Hi BBB,

I'd forgotten you are a fan of that other team.

I'm really struggling with who I least don't mind winning the league. Arsenal probably, but that's increasingly unlikely. Which only leaves Chelsea. I really can't abide the thought of the other two winning it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

As you may be aware, I will fairly soon be re-building a system, so I anticipate a spending spree :) Trouble is, I can see myself spending hours and hours, browsing through brown boxes with the wife in tow. Riot act? :read: Ah well, a man should have a hobby :)

Hi Fred,

Good luck with the system re-build and the record buying.

I kid myself I have many other interests (books,politics, football, some people) but mostly I come back to vinyl.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Brilliant stuff.

Hi BBB,

I'm really struggling with who I least don't mind winning the league. Arsenal probably, but that's increasingly unlikely. Which only leaves Chelsea. I really can't abide the thought of the other two winning it.

Charlie

The correct order of preference following an exhaustive and scientific survey (well actually me and a couple of mates) is

Arsenal

then

Chelsea

then

Citeh

then

the other lot from the poor end of the East Lancs Rd

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

Let's not let it come between us when we end our barren run, and win the title. ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DIB said:
The correct order of preference following an exhaustive and scientific survey (well actually me and a couple of mates) is

Arsenal

then

Chelsea

then

Citeh

then

And that order is about as likely as your lot winning the Champions League. Dream on.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
DIB said:

Arsenal

then

Chelsea

then

Citeh

then

And that order is about as likely as your lot winning the Champions League. Dream on.

That order is not how we think the table will end up, indeed you could reverse it if we are talking about the final league table. We are talking about who we would want to win the league if not us.

I'll keep dreaming thank you.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DIB said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
DIB said:

Arsenal

then

Chelsea

then

Citeh

then

That order is not how we think the table will end up, indeed you could reverse it if we are talking about the final league table. We are talking about who we would want to win the league if not us.

I'll keep dreaming thank you.

I understood that, I was just pointing out it was highly unlikely.

Bayern aren't the side I thought they were, and they're certainly not as good as the Bayern team of last season, it's in the balance, but Utd might just go through.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm really disgusted that this is turning into a football forum. United still in with a chance. Welbeck should have buried that; tried to be too clever.

As an aside:

The Bee Gees-Odessa-found it in the loft. Dunno really, it's ok.

Free-Tons Of Sobs. When people make silly lists re great guitarists they invariably overlook Koss. I don't. Listen to the solo on 'I'm A mover' which is probably the most exciting 30 seconds or so in the history of the guitar on record. A very very great player imho.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts