What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 203 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think how people choose to use this thread is any of my damn business.

Today:

Free-Tons Of Sobs.

The Psychedelic Furs-Talk Talk Talk.

Amon Duul 11-Live In London.

John Cooper-Clarke-Snap, Crackle And Bop.

Tom Verlaine-Dreamtime.

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger Trinity-Streetnoise.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I don't think how people choose to use this thread is any of my damn business.

Today:

Free-Tons Of Sobs.

The Psychedelic Furs-Talk Talk Talk.

Amon Duul 11-Live In London.

John Cooper-Clarke-Snap, Crackle And Bop.

Tom Verlaine-Dreamtime.

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger Trinity-Streetnoise.

:)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I took a punt on this today, only being very vaguely aware of this 1985 album that has been recently re-issued.

It's a belter, with hints of CCR, Neil Young amongst others coming through...

MI0000193280.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB, that album rings the vaguest of bells. Will investigate.

Record fair purchases and subsequent listens, so far.

We Are Catchers debut LP

Is anyone else enthralled by their Smiley Smile/Wild Honey meets The Coral/The La's thing? Or is it just me. So many of these types of bands (Hal, The High Llamas, The Guillemots, The Thrills, The Stands or was it The Strands have populated the hinterland of West Coast looking British pop), but there's always room for another if it's this well done. *

Fresh Fish Special - Robert Gordon &. Link Wray

Stunning re-issue of this scuzzy, rockabilly classic. It's one of those "why can't all records sound this good" recordings.

No Shalamar box but I did succumb to an eight LP Cliff & The Shadows collection. Great stuff in places.

And finally, an LP. I always usuaully avoid but not today,

American Dream - CSNY

Not exactly their finest forty-five minutes but some very hidden charms, once excavated.

* now on my second full listen. Think I'll have to add Gilbert O'Sullivan to the stew of influences. Don't let it but you off. He was and they are oft-wonderful.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
DIB, that album rings the vaguest of bells. Will investigate.

Record fair purchases and subsequent listens, so far.

We Are Catchers debut LP

Is anyone else enthralled by their Smiley Smile/Wild Honey meets The Coral/The La's thing? Or is it just me. So many of these types of bands (Hal, The High Llamas, The Guillemots, The Thrills, The Stands or was it The Strands have populated the hinterland of West Coast looking British pop), but there's always room for another if it's this well done. *

Fresh Fish Special - Robert Gordon &. Link Wray

Stunning re-issue of this scuzzy, rockabilly classic. It's one of those "why can't all records sound this good" recordings.

No Shalamar box but I did succumb to an eight LP Cliff & The Shadows collection. Great stuff in places.

And finally, an LP. I always usuaully avoid but not today,

American Dream - CSNY

Not exactly their finest forty-five minutes but some very hidden charms, once excavated.

* now on my second full listen. Think I'll have to add Gilbert O'Sullivan to the stew of influences. Don't let it but you off. He was and they are oft-wonderful.

No, Charlie, it's not just you. I like We Are Catchers and I'm most definitely a big fan of The Thrills who I think are massively underrated: their first couple of albums are excellent-brilliant pop music. I often listen to them. I've got loads of High Llamas stuff but I rarely listen to it; it never seems to get anywhere and I'm a goal-orientated kinda guy.

American Dream is a tepid shocker and it sounds worse because it was built up to be something big and a return to form. Apart from Neil, they've done nothing of any consequence since the early 70's. It pains me to say it, but it's true. Crosby's'If I could Only Remember My Name' is one of my favourite records of all time and it's one of the few instances of a perfect record that I wish the artist had repeated throughout his career. The first two Stills albums are great but I think Nash's solo stuff is awful:twee nonsense and that's the good stuff. Great harmony singer though.

Gilbert O'Sullivan's records were interesting and strangely moving but he miscalculated the image bit: I couldn't take him seriously.

Regards.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

I think you're right about the GOS image problem. He didn't really look as cool as his contemporaries, Bowie, Bolan & Ferry. Although I dare say that's an unfair comparison. Was he cooler than Leo Sayer??

Another thing I really like about the We Are Catchers LP is the almost uniform slow tempo, piano led sound on each song. Bar the Tap, Tap, Tap single and one other it feels like out-takes from Brian Wilson's archive circa Friends. I was a bit off-target with Wild Honey. Unlike The High Llamas though, I find the WAC album really works as a sustained listen and hopefully will make it past the initial run of plays.

How are the drama exam preparations coming along?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Jim,

I think you're right about the GOS image problem. He didn't really look as cool as his contemporaries, Bowie, Bolan & Ferry. Although I dare say that's an unfair comparison. Was he cooler than Leo Sayer??

Another thing I really like about the We Are Catchers LP is the almost uniform slow tempo, piano led sound on each song. Bar the Tap, Tap, Tap single and one other it feels like out-takes from Brian Wilson's archive circa Friends. I was a bit off-target with Wild Honey. Unlike The High Llamas though, I find the WAC album really works as a sustained listen and hopefully will make it past the initial run of plays.

How are the drama exam preparations coming along?

The Leo Sayer comparison is interesting. When he first appeared in clown slap, he was regarded as pretty freaky and quite cool; certainly some of my friends who I thought liked decent stuff were fans. I wasn't: it seemed a bit contrived and I didn't care much for the songs. Girls liked hiim and I had to pretend to like him myself in certain situations! Gilbert O'Sullivan did the down home, ee by gum, cobbled streets, short trousers and homespun wisdom thing on 'Nothing Rhymed' and I was quite taken by it to be honest. I'd be about 16 or so. The short trousers I just couldn't take to and he became a middle of the road kinda guy, pretty much like Leo Sayer. They both went for radical image schtick and I think it cost them dearly. They weren't hippies, that's for sure! That's my take; others may disagree.

Drama prep is a nightmare but thanks for asking. One whole piece of coursework hasnt been attempted so there's that to try and complete/begin. The other coursework is all incomplete. They're about 4 weeks behind with practical exam prep which is on April 30th...far too early. I stay after school with them on the days I go in and I've arranged 2 days at Easter but, typically, some are going away. It actually worries the life out of me because they're a great bunch of very bright children. 'Not my fault' is my mantra. Thanks for asking;hope your Drama work is running more smoothly.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm playing....

No_Fun.jpg

Real Cool Time

No Fun

Dirt

Down On The Street

Loose

T.V Eye

I Wanna Be Your Dog

Has there ever been better simple riffage? Don't say yes, because you'd be very wrong. Awesome stuff.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
61dx2Iu7IoL._SY450_.jpg
51h3Lf%2BcaiL._SX450_.jpg

61g4IbodIwL._SY450_.jpg
51qxQCFapnL._SY450__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

Finally got my amplifier back and it seems to be OK, got some new speakers so needed to play some vinyl, everything sounds very good although the speakers need running in. Now just need a new cartridge. 45rpm Rumours does sound good.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

It sounds like you've got your work cut out with the young dramatists. Good luck. My lot have just had their exam/moderation which went fairly well. Now it's heads down and full-tilt practice for the written paper. Both teacher and pupil find this last mile the most dull.

Music-wise: have you got or heard the We Are Catchers LP, then? As previously said, it's a lovely, low-key thing. It's soporific charms are holding me in its sway as I tap tap. Time for some full on rockabilly to shake this Monday night slumber.

BBB, the answer to your rhetorical is NO. The Stooges LP is the definitive riff-fest. Reminds me of sharing a house with a nocturnal loon (let's call him Steve). His idea of an easy listening session was Unknown Pleasures followed by Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, then a full rendition at wall-crumbling volume of either Raw Power or No Fun. All on his Linn Sondek and monstrous Mission speakers. He worked for British Rail and would come home at irregular hours, cook a vat of curry, swig a few buckets of some high octane lager and get his music of choice cued up.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB, the answer to your rhetorical is NO. The Stooges LP is the definitive riff-fest. Reminds me of sharing a house with a nocturnal loon (let's call him Steve). His idea of an easy listening session was Unknown Pleasures followed by Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, then a full rendition at wall-crumbling volume of either Raw Power or No Fun. All on his Linn Sondek and monstrous Mission speakers. He worked for British Rail and would come home at irregular hours, cook a vat of curry, swig a few buckets of some high octane lager and get his music of choice cued up.

Happy days!

The thing with The Stooges is, it has to be loud.

Saw Iggy at Reading Festival in 1987 (I think), he did his usual jumping into the crowd, and he landed right on top of me and my mates, bedlam insued, and I just grabbed for the nearest part of Iggy, and I don't need to say which bit it was do I?

Small man, big Johnson. :grin:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Happy days!

Saw Iggy at Reading Festival in 1987 (I think), he did his usual jumping into the crowd, and he landed right on top of me and my mates, bedlam insued, and I just grabbed for the nearest part of Iggy, and I don't need to say which bit it was do I?

Happy days, indeed. Johnson-toucher!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Happy days!

:grin:

My mate sang into the mike with Iggy when he came into the pit (he sang at Reading Festival), I just handled his feller. :roll:

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello BBB

Oh yes, I love Talk Talk Talk. I think it's better than the first album. Well, different in a more catchy pop sort of way. I've played it loads since I bought it and it's becoming quite a favourite.

Great tracks on the Iggy and the Stooges compilation.

I laughed at Charlie's friend Steve. What? He played Sonic Youth's 'Dayydream Nation' loudly on an LP12 through a pair of Missions? Oh dear. I did exactly the same yesterday afternoon! Well not too loudly but it's a great record and deserves to be thumped out. I loved the curry and lager bit too.

I've only heard 'Tap Tap Tap', Charlie but I like that and would love a copy of the lp. I'll see if my record man can find one.

Today:

The Smiths-Louder Than Bombs.

Smokey Robinson And The Miracles. Self-titled 60's British Motown comp.Battered but beautiful. Rather like myself.

Dave Brubeck-Jazz Goes To Junior College.

Robert Johnson-The Complete Collection. 2 LP 180 gram. I think it's a fairly recent issue.

Tom Verlaine-Tom Verlaine.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Hello BBB

Oh yes, I love Talk Talk Talk. I think it's better than the first album. Well, different in a more catchy pop sort of way. I've played it loads since I bought it and it's becoming quite a favourite.

I do prefer the first album, just love the rawness of it.

Well, if you like TTT, then you might like Forever Now, infact, you might like most of their albums, but I was serious about Midnight To Midnight, it's absolute horse manure.

Even if you see it for 50p, and think, it's got to be worth the risk for that much, it isn't.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Happy days!

:grin:

My mate sang into the mike with Iggy when he came into the pit (he sang at Reading Festival), I just handled his feller. :roll:

I once mumbled something faux-cryptic into Mark E.Smith's mic. Managed to avoid his regions though.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
Hello BBB

I do prefer the first album, just love the rawness of it.

Well, if you like TTT, then you might like Forever Now, infact, you might like most of their albums, but I was serious about Midnight To Midnight, it's absolute horse manure.

Even if you see it for 50p, and think, it's got to be worth the risk for that much, it isn't.

All this Psychedilc Furs talk reminded me that I own one of their albums. It's the one with Love My Way on it, green and pinky yellow cover if my mind can correctly recall an album I haven't played in thirty years. Bizarrely, I know exactly where it is: amongst a few hundred in the loft. I'm venturing up there tonight on another mission but will endeavour to seek it out. I think I liked it at the time, but it was, like The Stooges LP yesterday, forever associated with someone else. It will need a clean but after the United/Bayern game I'll give it a spin. It might cheer me up a smidgeon after an anticipated defeat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts