What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

penfold_001

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
R-2473326-1286010019.jpeg

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
ifor said:
Freddy58 said:
ifor said:
This thread is not what it was. Chit chat was minimal and contributors were many, but now it's just a bit of a love in between a few. Shame!

Did I do something wrong?

Not at all. Just an observation that it's changed a bit. I preferred it as it was, but that's just me.

I know what you're saying. However, I've always seen this thread as a source of ideas for things to listen to. While the chatty entries are not as succinct as a brief listing of current albums etc being listened to, there are a still a lot of ideas for musical jumping off points.

I'd like to think there's room for both the brief and the chatty entires?

Is it not a bit....boring, if there's no discussion?

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Marvindodgers said:
ifor said:
Freddy58 said:
ifor said:
This thread is not what it was. Chit chat was minimal and contributors were many, but now it's just a bit of a love in between a few. Shame!

Not at all. Just an observation that it's changed a bit. I preferred it as it was, but that's just me.

I know what you're saying. However, I've always seen this thread as a source of ideas for things to listen to. While the chatty entries are not as succinct as a brief listing of current albums etc being listened to, there are a still a lot of ideas for musical jumping off points.

I'm with you, discussion is good as well. There's room for everyone.

Roxy Music - Manifesto

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
Freddy58 said:
Marvindodgers said:
ifor said:
Freddy58 said:
ifor said:

I'm with you, discussion is good as well. There's room for everyone.

Roxy Music - Manifesto

middle ground is brilliant; both extremes are indeed dull.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Everything's got a context, ifor. If all the other stuff that isn't simply lists of what people are listening to isn't your thing, then fair enough but for me it's an essential pre-requisite for beginning to make sense of where somebody's recommendations or otherwise are coming from.

We are our music. Ever-shifting, ever permanent.

Today's industrial action allows me some midweek vinyl time:

Rise Up Like The Sun - The Albion Band

Mahagony - Brecht/Weill as performed by Lotte Lenya and Berliner Ensemble

The Flying Teapot - Gong

Banking, Violence & The Inner Life Today -McCarthy

Z - MMJ

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yep, take your point. Concision isn't my forte. Just ask my Drama classes.

Listening to:

The Guitar And Other Machines - The Durutti Column

Dondante (Celebracion De La Ciudad Natal) - My Morning Jacket

Song X - Metheny/Coleman

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was a goth Steve. I'm really surprised I still like Bauhaus as I dislike most of the goth music I used to love, but there's something really raw about Bauhaus. It's quite insane, very edgy, and despite the overriding pretentiousness of it, it's still rather good. There has never been another band that sound even remotely like them, not that I've heard anyway.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I was a goth Steve. I'm really surprised I still like Bauhaus as I dislike most of the goth music I used to love, but there's something really raw about Bauhaus. It's quite insane, very edgy, and despite the overriding pretentiousness of it, it's still rather good. There has never been another band that sound even remotely like them, not that I've heard anyway.

ashamed now, Fields of the Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy, All About Eve, The Bolshoi, The Mission for me!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
ashamed now, Fields of the Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy, All About Eve, The Bolshoi, The Mission for me!

I never liked FOTN, though I did see them at Reading Festival (they were awful). I quite liked TSOM then, AAE a bit, saw The Bolshoi, and never really liked The Mission. I really liked a band from my old home town called Play Dead, but I can't listen to them now, sounds really dated, just like all the above, apart from maybe AAE.

Bauhaus just don't sound dated to me, the first album is really raw and powerful, great stuff. I'm on the last track of this double comp now, and there's not a track that I thought was at all embarrassing, all good.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
In preparation for my assault on the ticketing websites on Friday morning -

Kate Bush - Lionheart

Joining in the goth conversation, whilst never going for the goth look, I was always a fan of the music that Bauhaus, TSOTM, The Mission, The Cult etc made and am certainly not beyond sticking their records on to this day. Therefore, playing as we speak -

The Cult - Love

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
In preparation for my assault on the ticketing websites on Friday morning -

Kate Bush - Lionheart

Joining in the goth conversation, whilst never going for the goth look, I was always a fan of the music that Bauhaus, TSOTM, The Mission, The Cult etc made and am certainly not beyond sticking their records on to this day. Therefore, playing as we speak -

The Cult - Love

just gutted it hasnt got Little Face - a bonus on the CD

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
gpi said:
Really enjoying Elbow's new album. It all seems so effortless and gets better with every listen.

My new CD should drop through the letterbox today hopefully. I was tempted with the vinyl version but it's the damn cost of new vinyl that keeps me buying CDs.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Tribute To George - Yim Yames

I Am A Wallet - McCarthy

Then a newly re-discovered pile of 7inch singles:

Goodnight - Thea Gilmore

I Ain't Ever Satisfied - Steve Earle

This Charming Man - The Smiths

Kinky Afro - The Happy Mondays

Stupid Girl - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Ceremony - New Order