What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn:hey DIB, i bought a pm7001 earlier today, ex dem from richer sounds, only £99.95
emotion-4.gif
. i'm waiting for delivery, how do you rate it? cheers..

I love mine, I've had two now and its a class act. Plenty of power, looks good, very solid build, and sounds great. Nice phono stage too.

At a price of £99.95 you've got an absolute bargain I'm sure it will be in good nick etc. but you wouldn't get a second hand one on Ebay for anywhere near as low a price as that. I'd be very interested in how you rate it compared to your Yamaha AS500, which I've never heard. It was a £400+ amp when they first came out, and from what reviews I've read was always well thought of. The souped up version PM7001 KI is a step up again in quality

When I bought my Uniti about 12 months ago I sold my old PM7001 on Ebay and got £200 for it. When I had to cut my cloth accordingly and had to sell on my Uniti, I bought a brand new PM7001 3 months ago for £225 and not looked back.

One things for sure, if you come to sell it on in the near future you'll easily get your money back plus some
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

sounds promising, i sold my as-500 today and got a marantz 6010 OSE plus cash (cloth cutting
emotion-1.gif
), it does sound good but not quite as punchy as the yamaha, perhaps not as bassy either.

then a friend alerted me to the pm7001 so i jumped on it, as you say i can't go wrong at the price, perhaps the fact that it's got more power than the 6010 will help with the punch and bass, i should have it next week, i'll let you know how i find it, cheers
emotion-21.gif

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey maxflinn
emotion-1.gif

I don't know if you have already answered this earlier in another thread, but why did you sell your as-500? From what I have heard from you earlier, you really liked it
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Chokobolt:

Hey maxflinn
emotion-1.gif

I don't know if you have already answered this earlier in another thread, but why did you sell your as-500? From what I have heard from you earlier, you really liked it
emotion-3.gif

i needed a cash injection
emotion-6.gif

emotion-5.gif

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
atb - till i come 12inch promo

bruce springsteen - live 5lp box set 1975-85 lp4 features - born in the usa and war

paul simon - greatest hits

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
sinatra i really wanted to like but, i heard it once on some 22k linn speakers ect and the recording was good and he sounded awesome, as far as making your hifi sound good but he sounded dated for me i guess if your over 40 or have had older brothers and sisters you have more than likley heard him lots as a youngster. i find elvis like that as well. but for some reason i find stuff like love,dylan,diana ross,patti smith,ramsey lewis,ray charles still sound good on vinyl and you dont get that feeling like it was made in the past.

you into all the all classics clare? id like to know what recent bands/groups/solo artists you've bought into.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well as Ella Fitzgerald sang, I'm Old Fashioned
emotion-2.gif

I've been teased for years about 'only listening to dead people'/'songs recorded before you were born'.

And yet my favourite songwriter remains Cole Porter (followed by Burt Bacharach)
emotion-4.gif

But I genuinely listen to a wide range of music - just more likely to stream more modern stuff via my NAS drive/listen on iPod/Spotify and keep the real standards for my turntable.

So in term of current music i've actually bought in past six months - as opposed to streamed via Spotify - it'd be Rumer - Seasons of the Soul; Tom Jones - Praise and Blame; Adele - 21.

In same period, i've bought a LOT more classic vinyl...,

...including this incredible-sounding 45rpm pressing, which arrived with the Sinatra LP:

julie.jpg

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks clare for bit info about what music you like, strange as a 28 lad who loves the who,stone roses,oasis,pulp,blur,coldplay,sterophonics,the rifles ect

the lps i love on my turntable is the new adele 21 i got it for £8.99 so i gave it go and it really beats the spotify album by a mile. i also like stuff like broken bells and the xx on lp which i never thought i would.

as singers go i think the best is a lp by margie joseph its called sweet surrender, she is very good and gets better the louder you play it.

are you a steve wonder fan clare?ive heard hes good on the turntable.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
fair play,them records you are posting seem quite pricey so hope you have them all on show in you front room showing them off. lol

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Certainly am a Stevie Wonder fan - I processed out of our wedding ceremony to For Once in My Life
emotion-2.gif

Oddly though, I only have Songs in the Key of Life on vinyl. Now there's a buying challenge!

And yes, our vinyl collection - from heavyweight investments to 50p charity-shop/eBay finds - is on show in our living room
emotion-21.gif

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
good stuff. my friend says music on my mind is a good wonder album.

thanks for time chating tonight it what makes the site good.

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I've been playing the first two R.E.M albums today. Bought them on original release, then sold them when the De-luxe CD's came out.

Repurchased them on vinyl, last week.

emotion-21.gif

PS, we had Dream Theater & Led Zep playing out our wedding.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
mickeyjoef:
I've been playing the first two R.E.M albums today. Bought them on original release, then sold them when the De-luxe CD's came out.

Repurchased them on vinyl, last week.

emotion-21.gif

PS, we had Dream Theater & Led Zep playing out our wedding.

Blimey, we could only afford a DJ at ours.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
41kc4PjmkpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another oldie but goodie. On close inspection the LP looks in pretty good nick but my word is it crackly
emotion-6.gif
I reckon I'll give it a good clean tonight, a pity really because it's a great album. Always top recordings Steely Dan albums.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:

sinatra. i guess if your over 40 or have had older brothers and sisters you have more than likley heard him lots as a youngster.

emotion-40.gif
More like 65, most 60 year olds would have been listening to Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Free, Doors, The Who etc.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad:Lost Angeles:shropshire lad:Lost Angeles:
51lzroXDpsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This should make you feel good . I have just seen this record for sale on the Wah Wah Record shop of Barcelona's website for 50 euros. So you should look after your copy. Best not play it again!

Nick

Thank you for this. Are these prices for new or secondhand as I also have “You Are The Music We're Just The Band” by Trapeze and that's listed at 30 euros.
I presume they are for new as there is no secondhand vinyl in my opinion worth 30 or 50 Euros. Anyway records are for playing and I shall continue to play mine.

Well, I assumed they were for second hand records as I didn't think that many of the titles listed were available new . However, having had another look I think that they are in fact new records .

I reckon there will be people disagreeing with you on the worth of secondhand vinyl, but I agree with you that records are meant to be played and not just looked at .

Nick

I saw this in a record shop this afternoon for £30 and it was seconhand. It's a brill album but it's not worth that, mind you they also had some Stone The Crows at £20 and £30 each, crazy really. I'd like to listen to them but not at that price. In a few years time nobody will even know who they were so they will be worth nowt.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/survivor033/?action=view&current=faster.jpghttp://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/survivor033/?action=view&current=bonnieandtodd.jpghttp://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/survivor033/?action=view&current=devilsblood.jpg

Bonnie Tyler - `Faster Than The Speed Of Night` Album.

Bonnie Tyler and Todd Rundgren - `Loving You`s A Dirty Job But Somebody`s Got To Do It 12" single.

The Devil`s Blood - `Graveyard Shuffle` 7" single.

Stunning vocal performance from Todd Rundgren on the duet with Bonnie Tyler.

Chanced upon a song called `Waxing Moon Over Babylon` by The Devil`s Blood on YouTube a couple of weeks ago. Seems it is only available on the B-side of `The Graveyard Shuffle` single on 7" vinyl. Had to send off for it from Germany but glad I did. I would describe it as melodic Satanic music!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts