What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 356 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Managed to play a few records today, yippee.

Daughter – The Wild Youth EP 10"Grimes – Art AngelsGogo Penguin – V2.0Gogo Penguin – Man Made ObjectSigur Rós – TakkBjörk – Biophilia

Have you played that Young Gods album yet?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Wedding Present - Seamonsters

MI0000050778.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

So who's heard any King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard?

I heard a couple of tracks the other day on 6 Music when their new album was album of the day, and thought they were pretty good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field

2897819.jpg

Don't dismiss this as Goth nonsense, this is a superb album. Any album that starts with a first track this good, has to be a great album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBxaFZq1Y5M

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Don't dismiss this as Goth nonsense, this is a superb album. Any album that starts with a first track this good, has to be a great album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBxaFZq1Y5M

Good shout, I'm enjoying checking them out.

Kind of like a weird cross between Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy and a dark Cure...Right up my street, thanks.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

This takes me back. A proper album from a proper band. Goth before Goth existed. Brilliant live band too and yes Doube Dare is a stormer.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

so far today has been

Seth Lakeman - Word of Mouth

New Order - Substance (really lets the system sing)

Always loved Bauhaus, mainly had on cassette though but had a couple of eps on vinyl, notably Bela Lugosi's Dead which glows in the dark!

So just put on Crackle a best of which also starts off with Double Dare and In The Flat Field.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So who's heard any King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard?

I heard a couple of tracks the other day on 6 Music when their new album was album of the day, and thought they were pretty good.

There is some good stuff of theirs, a great live band, saw them at Glastonbury last year and likely to see them at End of the Road this year. Got to love a band with 2 drummers

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Spent much of last week trying to inject a vestige of order into my happily haphazard record collection and now I can't find anything...which always happens when I tidy stuff up. I was never much good at spreadsheets either. Listened to a few though:

Dave Brubeck: 'Time Further Out'. Mono. Easily as good as 'Time Out'.

Archie Shepp: 'Mama Too Tight',

The Mothers Of Invention: 'Absolutely Free'. US Mono. Bit crackly but still wonderful.

Tom Verlaine: 'The Wonder' + 'Cover'.

Todd Rundgren: 'Hermit Of Mink Hollow'. Heartfelt. Todd plays everything. Genius.

Captain Beefheart: 'Strictly Personal'. Mono. Thundering genius.

John Coltrane: 'Soultrane'. Mono. Paul Chambers, bass god.

The Blue Aeroplanes: 'Life Model'. + 'Swagger'.

Beethoven: 'The Complete Piano Sonatas' + 'The Late Quartets'. The godfather of krautrock.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Spent much of last week trying to inject a vestige of order into my happily haphazard record collection and now I can't find anything...which always happens when I tidy stuff up.

br1.jpg

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
The Blue Aeroplanes 'Swagger'.

Pick a card, any card. Wrong.

One of the greatest lines in the history of pop music; one of the greatest records too, along with 'Beatsongs'. I often think the Blue Aeroplanes are my favourite band...ever ever ever.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
Spent much of last week trying to inject a vestige of order into my happily haphazard record collection and now I can't find anything...which always happens when I tidy stuff up.

A bit like this yeah + going up and down loft stairs with piles of records which gets old pretty quickly. I need an assistant or a willing helper. Anything.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
The Blue Aeroplanes 'Swagger'.

Pick a card, any card. Wrong.

One of the greatest lines in the history of pop music; one of the greatest records too, along with 'Beatsongs'. I often think the Blue Aeroplanes are my favourite band...ever ever ever.

It's a great line, and a great opening track. Wouldn't necessarily agree about the album being one of the greatest, but it's certainly a good listen. I might give it a spin later.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Blue Aeroplanes - Swagger

Let's just say that my wife doesn't share Jim's love for The Blue Aeroplanes, so I only played side one.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
going up and down loft stairs with piles of records gets old pretty quickly. I need an assistant or a willing helper. Anything.

Genuinely, if I lived near you I'd give you a hand, because I get truly excited when I see lots of great records.

Will your daughter not help. Jim?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Had a good vinyl session today

British Sea Power - From The Sea To The Land Beyond (beautiful, both new tracks and reworking so of older, was a soundtrack to a film)

Queen - Greatest Hits

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader

Eno - Hyde - Someday World

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

John Coltrane - Africa/Brass

John Coltrane - Coltrane Jazz (bonus album with the above)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Had a good vinyl session today

British Sea Power - From The Sea To The Land Beyond (beautiful, both new tracks and reworking so of older, was a soundtrack to a film)

Queen - Greatest Hits

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader

Eno - Hyde - Someday World

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

John Coltrane - Africa/Brass

John Coltrane - Coltrane Jazz (bonus album with the above)

Good selection there, Jimbo, but completely ruined by the addition of Queen. *nea*

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
going up and down loft stairs with piles of records gets old pretty quickly. I need an assistant or a willing helper. Anything.

Genuinely, if I lived near you I'd give you a hand, because I get truly excited when I see lots of great records.

Will your daughter not help. Jim?

No!!! No!!! No!!! Niet. Nein. Non. I think her only interest in my records is how much they're worth...she likes talking about that! She's keen on her own records though. Thanks, BBB. One day we'll all have a big party and listen to our favourite records....a big What Hi-Fi party!!! Ha!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts