What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 349 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Off to the auction to see more records, get excited, only to be hugely disappointed tomorrow when the bidding ends.

Well I went, and I saw a woman, who more than likely knew nothing about records, with a big notepad, writing down every title, and checking the condition of every record, so everyone, and his wife wants to get in on the record selling fad, so as I thought, there's little chance of winning anything.

I will go though, as there were some good records (Black Sabbath/Masters Of Reality/Paranoid 1st pressings), even if there's little chance of me winning them. The condition of most of the records wasn't great, and we all know the difference in value of a mint record and a VG one, so I'm hoping to push the prices up to beyond their collectiove values, so these fly-by-night buyers lose money on them, and sod off and leave the records to people who love them for what they are, not what money they can make out of selling them.

Yes, this is true to a large extent and for most records, but if you find something very rare, I think the VG copy is worth more than the Record Collector book price, which is 50% of the original...I think! This is an area of contention though, and like everything re collecting, it depends on who wants it at the time it's for sale.

The first Black Sabbath album is pretty rare on Vertigo with black inside the gatefold rather than white and quite a few other indicators too; there are so many slight variations of this record, ie the placing of the word, 'Vertigo' etc and Philips credits on record label. Check on discogs and popsike if you're really interested. It can fetch £500+....£400 book price I think. It's a great album as you probably know.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Jim, I'll have another look tomorrow, but the 'Black Sabbath' sleeve was quite poor, and it's in a job lot with the other 2 Black Sabbath albums, quite a lot of singles (including some quite rare punk), 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper' (both quite rough), so my best guess (knowing how overpriced last week's records ended) is that these'll go way over my budget.

I spoke to the auctioneer again today, and he said the guy who sold all the records last week would definitely have sold them to him for £20, and he persuaded him to put them in the auction. Not sure if you read my post, but they went for over £2000.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks Jim, I'll have another look tomorrow, but the 'Black Sabbath' sleeve was quite poor, and it's in a job lot with the other 2 Black Sabbath albums, quite a lot of singles (including some quite rare punk), 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper' (both quite rough), so my best guess (knowing how overpriced last week's records ended) is that these'll go way over my budget.

I spoke to the auctioneer again today, and he said the guy who sold all the records last week would definitely have sold them to him for £20, and he persuaded him to put them in the auction. Not sure if you read my post, but they went for over £2000.

[/quote

Yeah, I read about it..£2,000 is a lot of money to fork out. A job lot is a job lot for a reason: something to tempt you + a load of rubbish which wouldn't fetch much on its own...I've seen it done with records quite a few times. I think bidding for individual items that you actually want is preferable as I'm sure you do.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

There's a few lots tomorrow. One lot has Colosseum 'Valentyne Suite' in it, in superb condition, plus some Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, and some good blues stuff. But again, it's gonna go for stupid money.

The people who go to these auctions are just looking to make money, and records are the thing that some of them have latched on to. I know if a good job lot of Classical came up, they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Not sure if you remember but I got nearly 200 classical albums there for £4 (I think), including some valuable ones, and I now have a superb classical collection.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There's a few lots tomorrow. One lot has Colosseum 'Valentyne Suite' in it, in superb condition, plus some Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, and some good blues stuff. But again, it's gonna go for stupid money.

The people who go to these auctions are just looking to make money, and records are the thing that some of them have latched on to. I know if a good job lot of Classical came up, they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Not sure if you remember but I got nearly 200 classical albums there for £4 (I think), including some valuable ones, and I now have a superb classical collection.

Yep, that's the sort of stuff that fetches big money, especially if in good nick. I'd be interested to know how much these job lots fetch...jot the prices down if you get the chance. Happy bidding!!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The people who go to these auctions are just looking to make money, and records are the thing that some of them have latched on to.

Welcome to the open market, supply/demand etc. No point whinging about it. If there is money to be made, people will try it on. I don't bother with rare, collectible vinyl unless I happen to have bought it unwittingly on release. I'd rather worry about the pressing than the age or rarity. Each to his own etc. *good*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Yep, that's the sort of stuff that fetches big money, especially if in good nick. I'd be interested to know how much these job lots fetch...jot the prices down if you get the chance. Happy bidding!!

I missed all of the auctions with records, but I found out the prices from the auctioneer. There were two lots of around 100-120 records in each, with 4 or 5 really good records in each lot (Fairport/String Band/Colosseum/John Mayall) some average stuff, and quite a lot of £1 records. One lot went for £65, the other £75, so I'm quite annoyed I wasn't there to bid, though I'm sure the guy who bought them (the same one as last week) would have kept bidding, so I wouldn't have won them.

There was one more lot, the one with the Sabbath/Beatles albums, and quite a few good 45s went for around £270. I'm not 100% sure about whether they were 1st pressings (they'd gone before I got there), but the Sabbath albums had pretty tatty sleeves. The Beatles albums weren't good, tatty sleeves, and very scratched up vinyl. Pretty sure they weren't anywhere near 1st pressings too. The 45s weren't awful, some rare punk stuff, sleeves were reasonable, vinyl was reasonable too, but I still think £270 was well overpriced. I know Sabbath 1st pressings are very valuable, but with those sleeves, I can't see them being more than £40 each, The Beatles a fiver at the most. I wouldn't have gone over £150 for the lot.

There was definite profit in the first 2 lots though, so next week I'll make an effort.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

I missed all of the auctions with records, but I found out the prices from the auctioneer. There were two lots of around 100-120 records in each, with 4 or 5 really good records in each lot (Fairport/String Band/Colosseum/John Mayall) some average stuff, and quite a lot of £1 records. One lot went for £65, the other £75, so I'm quite annoyed I wasn't there to bid, though I'm sure the guy who bought them (the same one as last week) would have kept bidding, so I wouldn't have won them.

There was one more lot, the one with the Sabbath/Beatles albums, and quite a few good 45s went for around £270. I'm not 100% sure about whether they were 1st pressings (they'd gone before I got there), but the Sabbath albums had pretty tatty sleeves. The Beatles albums weren't good, tatty sleeves, and very scratched up vinyl. Pretty sure they weren't anywhere near 1st pressings too. The 45s weren't awful, some rare punk stuff, sleeves were reasonable, vinyl was reasonable too, but I still think £270 was well overpriced. I know Sabbath 1st pressings are very valuable, but with those sleeves, I can't see them being more than £40 each, The Beatles a fiver at the most. I wouldn't have gone over £150 for the lot.

There was definite profit in the first 2 lots though, so next week I'll make an effort.

All pretty interesting...you just don't know people's motivation at auctions. Sounds like a dealer to me if he bought the last lot too and he'll know his prices and customers. Maybe he's got a 'Black Sabbath' album with a mint cover and a scratchy record...who knows? I bought a mono copy of the first Stones album today which was in dreadful condition (£5)..almost unplayable, but I needed the sleeve because I've got a mint record with a faded and water-marked sleeve. There ya go. Make sure you get there earlier next week!!! Thanks for the info.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Trying to remember what I've listened to today...

Gil Scott-Heron – I'm New Here
Mogwai – Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
The Neville Brothers – Yellow Moon
Little Feat – Dixie Chicken
The Ethiopians – The Original Reggae Hitsound (1966–72)

I think that's about it...

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Oliver Nelson: 'The Blues And The Abstract Truth'.

Paul Bley: 'Fragments'.

Duke Ellington: 'The Blanton-Webster Band'. 4 lp Bluebird label.

John Coltane: 'Rare And Unreleased: The Legendary Masters 1951-965' 5 lp box.

The Kinks: 'Face To Face' . mono

Otis Redding: 'Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay'. Stax label comp.

Ben E King: 'What Is Soul?'

Who/Hendrix: 'Backtrack 5' Track label comp. Great track selection.

Randy Newman: 'Randy Newman'.

The Beatles: 'Magical Mystery Tour'. 7" EP mono + stereo lp.

I'm trying to create some sort of order and system re records, but it isn't going very well; in fact, it's going pretty badly. I've decided I like chaos...it's much more interesting. I don't want finding records to be easy...where's the fun in that? Not being able to find things takes you on different journeys...and that's nice.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
I'm trying to create some sort of order and system re records, but it isn't going very well; in fact, it's going pretty badly. I've decided I like chaos...it's much more interesting. I don't want finding records to be easy...where's the fun in that? Not being able to find things takes you on different journeys...and that's nice.

I'm absolutely the opposite to you, Jim, I need order, and I'm still searching for a perfect filing system, even though I know there isn't one as far as records are concerned. I have a system that I'm reasonably happy with, I can find almost instantly the record I'm looking for, but when my mate visits from Leeds, he sows the seeds of doubt inside my head (quite purposely, and for his own amusement), and I just can't stop scratching the itch, even though I know it'll lead to more frustration, and possibly less order.

The friend in question, files his new records next to others that he thinks are a similar style, but I'm more alphabetical within genre.

Please help!!!!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

I'm absolutely the opposite to you, Jim, I need order, and I'm still searching for a perfect filing system, even though I know there isn't one as far as records are concerned. I have a system that I'm reasonably happy with, I can find almost instantly the record I'm looking for, but when my mate visits from Leeds, he sows the seeds of doubt inside my head (quite purposely, and for his own amusement), and I just can't stop scratching the itch, even though I know it'll lead to more frustration, and possibly less order.

The friend in question, files his new records next to others that he thinks are a similar style, but I'm more alphabetical within genre.

Please help!!!!

Well, you've delineated the troublesome areas that occur when you get more than a few records across a whole host of genres; I don't know the answer!! I guess you do as you see fit. I only sorted my jazz records out and it took ages because they were scattered in various rooms and in boxes in the loft...nd it's heavy work going up and down with piles of records. Re jazz I decided on major labels grouped together in alphabetical order so all Blue Notes together in alphabetical order, then Prestige then Impulse!, then ECM, then Atlantic London, HMV and then I had loads of artists on different labels and I didn't know what to do!!! I have Coltrane records on about 7/8 labels!!! So do I group Coltrane or carry on with labels and have Coltrane records all over the place?!!! It's just too difficult and I don't know the answer. I've left piles in my bedroom since last Wednesday that are to be sorted out, but I can't be bothered!!! I'm praying for inspiration, but just doing what I've done so far stressed me out but, thankfully, I have an advanced stress-avoidance degree! Tea, biscuits and whisky...oh and listening to music and the mantra: 'Better get on with it tomorrow'. Story of my life, mate. Hope that helps!*dash1*

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Ahem:

'Emerson, Lake And Palmer'. First album.

Got through Side One and it's quite good...quite restrained compared to what was to come. They were all accomplished musicians of course and Greg Lake had a nice voice. All that noodling about on a heavy riff though...so early 70's.

I'll be brave and try Side Two.

Edit: Well, it would have made a very good one-sided record. *bomb*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Ahem:

Got through Side One and it's quite good...quite restrained compared to what was to come. They were all accomplished musicians of course and Greg Lake had a nice voice. All that noodling about on a heavy riff though...so early 70's.

They'll be a frothing Freddy along soon. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Well, you've delineated the troublesome areas that occur when you get more than a few records across a whole host of genres; I don't know the answer!! I guess you do as you see fit. I only sorted my jazz records out and it took ages because they were scattered in various rooms and in boxes in the loft...nd it's heavy work going up and down with piles of records. Re jazz I decided on major labels grouped together in alphabetical order so all Blue Notes together in alphabetical order, then Prestige then Impulse!, then ECM, then Atlantic London, HMV and then I had loads of artists on different labels and I didn't know what to do!!! I have Coltrane records on about 7/8 labels!!! So do I group Coltrane or carry on with labels and have Coltrane records all over the place?!!! It's just too difficult and I don't know the answer. I've left piles in my bedroom since last Wednesday that are to be sorted out, but I can't be bothered!!! I'm praying for inspiration, but just doing what I've done so far stressed me out but, thankfully, I have an advanced stress-avoidance degree! Tea, biscuits and whisky...oh and listening to music and the mantra: 'Better get on with it tomorrow'. Story of my life, mate. Hope that helps!*dash1*

I think with the amount of records you have, it's not going to be an easy job, but if you perservere and finish the job, you won't have to spend so much time going up and down to the attic in the future.

I have a tiny jazz collection compared to yours, but I've separated them by male vocal, female vocal, and instrumental and bands. As good an idea as it seemed when you started separating by label, you quite quickly hit the major problem with doing it that way. You have to have the same artist all together, even if they cross genres. This was one of my problems, I have The Beatles in my 60s section, but Wings and solo Lennon in my 70s section, but I'm about to rectify that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Despite great reservations, I've begun reorganising my records (again), and listening to a few records at the same time.

Peter Cook / Dudley Moore - The Clean Tapes

Doors - LA Woman

Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising

Richie Havens - Alarm Clock

Buster Churchill & The Beat Tigers - Beat A Go Go

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Ahem:

Glad you at least gave it a spin
thumbs_up.gif
I obviously wouldn't agree with your last comment, for me both sides are fab. I'm particularly fond of Emerson's piano playing on 'The Three Fates'. Takes all sorts *smile*

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to listen to my system for over 6 weeks has I have had a major op and was not able to sit down.
Yesterday I was given the go ahead to sit down that means I can sit in my listening room.
So today I have listened to
Morrissey - World peace is none of your business.
Tears for fears - The Hurting.
The Doors - L.A. Woman

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

A bit of a weird mix today.

Bangles - All Over The Place

A.C. Temple - Sourpuss ( I took a risk on this a year or so ago, and I really like it)

Various - James Bond Greatest Hits

Anton Bruckner - Symphony No.6 - Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Daniel Barenboim (Deutsche Grammophon)

Andres Sergovia - Nocturno

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Have You In My Wilderness - Julia Holter

Francoise Hardy Sings About Love

Glassworks - Phillip Glass

Earth Mother - Lesley Duncan

Z - MMJ

You haven't been on for a few days, hope all is ok with you Charlie.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Have You In My Wilderness - Julia Holter

Francoise Hardy Sings About Love

Glassworks - Phillip Glass

Earth Mother - Lesley Duncan

Z - MMJ

You haven't been on for a few days, hope all is ok with you Charlie.

I was thinking the same...c'mon, Charlie, where you at, man?

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
How's the record filing going, Jim?

I haven't really moved it on from where it was which is a bit of a muddle tbh. However, I have soaked my sweet pea seeds and have begun getting propagation trays ready. Quite a nice distraction really except it's a bit cold outside.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
How's the record filing going, Jim?

I haven't really moved it on from where it was which is a bit of a muddle tbh. However, I have soaked my sweet pea seeds and have begun getting propagation trays ready. Quite a nice distraction really except it's a bit cold outside.

Which reminds me, I need to sort the greenhouse out, tomato sowing time shortly *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

For a minute there, I could have sworn I'd signed into the Gardeners World forum. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts