What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 341 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Grateful Dead: 'Anthem Of The Sun'.

Canned Heat: 'Cookbook'.

John Mayall: 'Looking Back'.

'John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton'.

John Mayall: 'Crusade'. The one with an 18 year-old Mick Taylor.

Ornette Coleman: 'Something Else!!!!'.

Sonny Rollins: 'The Bridge'.

Sonny Rollins: 'Volume 1' + 'Volune 2'. Blue Note. Volume 2 is highly recommended.

John Coltrane: 'Africa/Brass'.

Gil Evans Band: 'Out Of The Cool'. Robert Wyatt's favourite record...apparently.

Tomorrow, I'm going to fetch a load of early Elvis Costello down; been on my mind all day for some reason. I need to get a life.

Magnificent list, Jim. Simply magnificent. Get that Elvis a-spinning!!!

I haven't played those early LPs for awhile but there's a certain sound to them that's quite special. And that controlled manic playing style and his persona at time couldn't disguise his scintillating way with words.

(just re-read what I've written, too much Guinness going on there, sorry).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
New Order – Low LifeOOIOO – GamelVarious – The Great British Dance Bands Play the Music of Irving Berlin, 1931–39Yello – StellaMassive Attack – Mezzanine

Very eclectic, TSP, as it should be.

Today:

Girls In Peacetime - Belle & Sebastian

Stimmung - Stockhausen

The Red Shoes - Kate Bush

Interlude, Boxers, Moonriver - Moz 12" singles

Scott 4 - Walker

Psyence Fiction - UNKLE/DJ Shadow

King Of Limbs - Radiohead

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just put on my first record of the day, though I did do a little reordering of the records on the shelves. 12"s are now filed in amongst the LPs, and there was always one section that was hard to get to, so I've stuck stuff like Abba, 10cc, Neil Diamond in there.

David Bowie - Scary Monsters & Super Creeps

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Bessie Smith – Any Woman's Blues
The Can – Monster Movie (Made in a castle with better equipment)

Not on vinyl, but this morning I received a copy of a CD I ordered two and a half years ago... yes, really. I think they've had a lot of trouble getting this produced. Anyway, am listening now and it sounds good: Takeda – EDO#1.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Brahms – Serenade No. 2 in A major, op. 16 / Academic Festival Overture, op. 80 (Berlin Phil. / Abbado)
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Gang of Four – Entertainment!
Savages – Silence Yourself
Lucy Ward – I Dreamt I Was a Bird...
Burial – Rival Dealer 12"

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Elvis Costello couple of days; had to clean some of them up a bit...it's been too long.

'This Year's Model'.

'Armed Forces'.

'Goodbye Cruel World'.

'Get Happy'.

'Trust'.

'Taking Liberties'.

'Spike'.

What can you say about this wonderful music? As a hippy, 'This Year's Model' shocked the life out of me, but it was so powerful, literate and involving that I was soon wearing safety pins and ripped dustbin liners. Nobody, but nobody, delineates sexual jealousy, emotional turmoil and hurt like Elvis...or with as much rhapsodic enthusiasm. Point is, of course, this is beautifully tuneful pop music with killer choruses and great soundbite lyrics. He occasionally overdoes the wordplay and wraps himself in a knot: 'Spike' is a noteworthy example of this. Even when he can't stand up for falling down he produces melodic gems: I think 'Goodbye Cruel World' is at least 75% brilliant. Love his voice too. Yep, thoroughly enjoyed listening to these pop classics from the last century. 'King Of America'. 'Imperial Bedroom' and 'Blood And Chocolate' next.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Elvis Costello couple of days; had to clean some of them up a bit...it's been too long.

'This Year's Model'.

'Armed Forces'.

'Goodbye Cruel World'.

'Get Happy'.

'Trust'.

'Taking Liberties'.

'Spike'.

What can you say about this wonderful music? As a hippy, 'This Year's Model' shocked the life out of me, but it was so powerful, literate and involving that I was soon wearing safety pins and ripped dustbin liners. Nobody, but nobody, delineates sexual jealousy, emotional turmoil and hurt like Elvis...or with as much rhapsodic enthusiasm. Point is, of course, this is beautifully tuneful pop music with killer choruses and great soundbite lyrics. He occasionally overdoes the wordplay and wraps himself in a knot: 'Spike' is a noteworthy example of this. Even when he can't stand up for falling down he produces melodic gems: I think 'Goodbye Cruel World' is at least 75% brilliant. Love his voice too. Yep, thoroughly enjoyed listening to these pop classics from the last century. 'King Of America'. 'Imperial Bedroom' and 'Blood And Chocolate' next.

EC is God. But I think that lot meant Clapton, I'll go with Jim and say it's Elvis Costello.

I'd put him on a par with Bob for atomising the matters of the heart and head, definitely. In slight defence of Spike, yes there's too many verbose songs but some great pop with Macca and his voice is at its zenith of fright and fury, which redeems it. But yes, Spike and Mighty Like A Rose are in that "too much and too often" phase.

As for your next three, you've just listed my very top three of his. I think they are expressions of (some) of his magnificence: I won't describe them or what they mean to me, as you know them inside out, but those are the three I've loved longest and deepest over the years.

One final aside, is it really the same man singing "And In Every Home" and "I Want You". The delicate delight to the deadly assassin.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:

'This Year's Model'.

'Armed Forces'.

'Goodbye Cruel World'.

'Get Happy'.

'Trust'.

'Taking Liberties'.

'Spike'.

EC is God. But I think that lot meant Clapton, I'll go with Jim and say it's Elvis Costello.

I'd put him on a par with Bob for atomising the matters of the heart and head, definitely. In slight defence of Spike, yes there's too many verbose songs but some great pop with Macca and his voice is at its zenith of fright and fury, which redeems it. But yes, Spike and Mighty Like A Rose are in that "too much and too often" phase.

As for your next three, you've just listed my very top three of his. I think they are expressions of (some) of his magnificence: I won't describe them or what they mean to me, as you know them inside out, but those are the three I've loved longest and deepest over the years.

One final aside, is it really the same man singing "And In Every Home" and "I Want You". The delicate delight to the deadly assassin.

Funny...when I was listening to those EC records I listed I was thinking about that whole issue of art and the artist. There's so much venom in many of the songs that I wondered if it was from personal experience or a reflection of the late 70's to mid 80's which I shudder to remember. Them was hard times, mate and brutality was always just around the corner; incidentally, I think those times are returning. Link? Hard-nosed and vengeful conservatism in the guise of austerity. I see many parallels: check the recent crime figures. Alternatively, to paraphrase Phillip Larkin, was he just a naturally fouled-up kinda guy? Or was it just theatre? I guess we end up with trust the art not the artist.

'Trust' and 'Imperial Bedroom' are atop my list, Charlie. 'King Of America' is up there too. I'd forgotten all about 'Mighty Like A Rose' which I think is when I gave up and moved on although I have some later ones on cd.

Glad I revisited them though; I'd forgotten just how good he was.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:

'This Year's Model'.

'Armed Forces'.

'Goodbye Cruel World'.

'Get Happy'.

'Trust'.

'Taking Liberties'.

'Spike'.

Funny...when I was listening to those EC records I listed I was thinking about that whole issue of art and the artist. There's so much venom in many of the songs that I wondered if it was from personal experience or a reflection of the late 70's to mid 80's which I shudder to remember. Them was hard times, mate and brutality was always just around the corner; incidentally, I think those times are returning. Link? Hard-nosed and vengeful conservatism in the guise of austerity. I see many parallels: check the recent crime figures. Alternatively, to paraphrase Phillip Larkin, was he just a naturally fouled-up kinda guy? Or was it just theatre? I guess we end up with trust the art not the artist.

'Trust' and 'Imperial Bedroom' are atop my list, Charlie. 'King Of America' is up there too. I'd forgotten all about 'Mighty Like A Rose' which I think is when I gave up and moved on although I have some later ones on cd.

Glad I revisited them though; I'd forgotten just how good he was.

Yes, spot on Jim. The times they are a- . . . being revisited. Domestically and internationally. It's a conflation, though with dynamics played out to different degrees, between Europe between the world wars and the late 70s/early 80s.

Once the age of post war consensus was wiped out by Mrs.T, Keith Joseph (why does he not get more of the blame?)and Mr Hayek's monetarist lunacy, the landscape was forever changed. Tony Blair's genius was to simulateously wrestle the mantle and appear to oppose it but by degree and stealth appear more of a mere heir to Thatcher.

Trump vs Sanders, Corbyn but possibly John McDonnell vs Boris or May or Osborne. These are highly ideological times, as you say.

Those EC albums are steeped in it all. Stumbled across Billy Bragg's apotheosis last week, shamefully languishing in my "still to be filed" garage boxes, Workers Playtime and thought how apposite it is right now. Concurrently came across that article/news item that Donald Trump's Dad was the property magnate whom Woody Guthrie railed against for his profiteering and corrupt landlordship.

The lines are drawn, after all they were only really faded and re-configured for a short interregnum. Billy Bragg's sleevenotes quote Gramasci. Too poignant and to the point as to why every Cameron and Osborne will wreak moral and economic ruin on this land.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Bunny Wailer: 'Blackheart Man'.

Mick Softey: 'Street Singer'.

Bobby Womack: 'The Poet'.

Bobby Womack: 'The Poet 2'.

The last two are the kind of slick stuff that professional footballers have on their iPhones...lovely for all that.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Stephen Stills – Stephen Stills 2
Brahms – Violin Concerto (Pinchas Zuckerman, violin)
Manu Dibango – Manu Dibango (1978)
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Far West
Jonathan Coleclough – Period
Curtis Mayfield – Super Fly o.s.t.
Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis – Afro-jaws

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hehe. Confused? You will be... Jonathan has been playing with fire (and ice) for a few years now. Essentially in that performance he's set up a number of feedback algorithms on his laptop, and miked the glass with contact mics so the sound is produced by vibrations in the glass as he heats it, and processed by the feedback loops.

Period is based on sounds from a piano. I like it. Not everyone does.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Hehe. Confused? You will be... Jonathan has been playing with fire (and ice) for a few years now. Essentially in that performance he's set up a number of feedback algorithms on his laptop, and miked the glass with contact mics so the sound is produced by vibrations in the glass as he heats it, and processed by the feedback loops.

That's what I thought. *wink*

thescarletpronster said:
Period is based on sounds from a piano. I like it. Not everyone does.

Well, I liked that live clip, though I'm not sure it's a concert that would excite me. Maybe if it was done in the dark it might look more interesting.

He's not a natural live performer, is he? *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Pink Floyd - 'Meddle'

And now...

Side 4 of Woodstock, with the rather wonderful Santana (Soul Sacrifice) and Ten Years After (I'm Going Home)

And now...

King Crimson - 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'

You tried this Bernie?

Moved on to...

Led Zep - '3' An album littered with wonderful moments.

'Since I've Been Loving You' has to be one of THE best 'white mans Blues' tracks of all time, don't it?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
King Crimson - 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'

You tried this Bernie?

The wife owns it. I like bits, and dislike bits. Fripp is undoubtedly a stupendous guitarist though.

Freddy58 said:
Moved on to...

'Since I've Been Loving You' has to be one of THE best 'white mans Blues' tracks of all time, don't it?

Who did it originally? *wink*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Moved on to...

Who did it originally? *wink*

It matters little to me. What matters to me, is the music. If you have a better version to offer up, I'm all ears
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
It matters little to me. What matters to me, is the music. If you have a better version to offer up, I'm all ears

Now now, Freddy, I was just pulling your leg. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts