What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 332 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jazz Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

Yep, playing it again. *smile*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Derek & Clive - Ad Nauseam

Perfect call and antidote for the approaching misery of this time of year, BBB.

Playing:

Bilingual - Pet Shop Boys

One of their finest. Overwhelming melancholy flecked with sunlight. Again, great for this time of year.

Daughter Of Cloud - of Montreal

Strangeways - The Smiths

Okonosos - My Morning Jacket. Magnificent, exhilarating, intense, God on vocals too.

Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer - Of Montreal

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Peter Cook was a comedy genius, so as Un-PC as it is, it's also incredibly funny. I particularly like the 'Horse Racing' and 'Records'.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Peter Cook was a comedy genius, so as Un-PC as it is, it's also incredibly funny. I particularly like the 'Horse Racing' and 'Records'.

I agree. Unstoppable. Their recordings are the only non-musical vinyl I've gone back to. I never grow out of it. It's joys are timeless or I'm just simply pleased.

Currently listening to Blackstar by Bowie.

Only one listen in and other than the two tracks I'd already heard several times - which are manifoldly weird in their wonderfully contrived way - it's all very mesmerising. Unexpected swoops and intrusions of sound, great later-period Scott Walker vocals and some incredible textures. A real vinyl listen.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

The greatest comic genius along with Spike in my opinion. The E L Wisty stuff is just brilliant in that classic 'ordinary people are quite mad' way. I've got an E L Wisty lp too! I like the 'Derek And Clive' stuff as well. Like all great comedians, there was an intriguing darker side.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Currently listening to Blackstar by Bowie.

Only one listen in and other than the two tracks I'd already heard several times - which are manifoldly weird in their wonderfully contrived way - it's all very mesmerising. Unexpected swoops and intrusions of sound, great later-period Scott Walker vocals and some incredible textures. A real vinyl listen.

My copies haven't arrived yet. The lithographs did, but some were damaged in the post, so I'm currently trying to get them to replace the damaged ones, which isn't proving easy.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
My guide to dealing with no wife, no job Tuesday:

Brew capacious pot of Assam tea, play Messiaen's Turangalia Symphony loudly, drink said tea, absorb thoughts, listen, turn next to Bowie's Blackstar. Have mind and ideas tweaked and re-constituted. Drink more tea. Dismantle the Christmas tree on the day one's parents always did it, think of them, more tea, visit Hepworth Gallery and ponder what's it all about. Collect my children from school later and embrace the now.

One of those days in England . . .

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Finally got around to cleaning my recent purchases, and have played a few. There's a lot of crackle going on - I'm going to have to take at least two of them back. Grrr.

Lucy Ward – I Dreamt I Was A Bird... (a tonne of crackle towards the end of both sides)
Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool (also a tonne of crackle towards the end, plus I had two copies of disc 1 and none of disc 2!)
Grimes – Art Angels (not so bad, but still a fair bit of crackle in places)
Patty Griffin – Servant of Love (much better, just the odd patch)
Julia Holter – Tragedy (also better, but some crackle in places, not as good as I've come to expect from Domino).

A bit disheartening. I don't think I'm over-fussy about surface noise. Will listen to the others tomorrow and hope for better.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
My guide to dealing with no wife, no job Tuesday:

Brew capacious pot of Assam tea, play Messiaen's Turangalia Symphony loudly, drink said tea, absorb thoughts, listen, turn next to Bowie's Blackstar. Have mind and ideas tweaked and re-constituted. Drink more tea. Dismantle the Christmas tree on the day one's parents always did it, think of them, more tea, visit Hepworth Gallery and ponder what's it all about. Collect my children from school later and embrace the now.

One of those days in England . . .

Tea, music and children...always look on the bright side, Charlie. My children are long gone although my daughter came home for Christmas, fleeced me and subsequently left to take her present (PS4) back to the boyfriend's!

What a life...

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Jim

What a life indeed!

I've eeked a decent day out of the unpromising and meagre elements.

Music great, tea constant, gallery transformative, children happy to be home.

Thanks Jim.

Music tea and school run - sounds very much like my day - imagine getting through things without a cool soundtrack?

I've had a John Cale/Kate Bush kinda day today.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
turn next to Bowie's Blackstar.

When did you receive your copy, Charlie?

I am fortunate to know someone who could get me an early copy. Top secret stuff!!!!

I played it again today and really enjoyed it. I'm about to give it a late night listen after Newsnight - no work to get up for - so I'm looking forward to taking on another layer of connection.

Update: much as Bowie has to be applauded for not being let's say Rod Stewart, I'm still too reminded of Scott Walker who got there with this avant-garde singing declamatory thing. It's good and feels fresh but I'm not as drawn to it or disturbed by it as Scott's last three LPs, not the Sunn O one but it's predecessor's.

Maybe that's not what Bowie's trying to do but it feels like it's in the shadows of what's gone before.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I am fortunate to know someone who could get me an early copy. Top secret stuff!!!!

In other words, 'I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.'

Listened to a few more of my recent purchases:

Roots Manuva – Bleeds
King Midas Sound / Fennesz – Edition 1
Anna von Hausswolff – The Miraculous

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Listened to a few more of my recent purchases:

OB-WR486_ricekr_D_20130313172521.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

I played it again today and really enjoyed it. I'm about to give it a late night listen after Newsnight - no work to get up for - so I'm looking forward to taking on another layer of connection.

Update: much as Bowie has to be applauded for not being let's say Rod Stewart, I'm still too reminded of Scott Walker who got there with this avant-garde singing declamatory thing. It's good and feels fresh but I'm not as drawn to it or disturbed by it as Scott's last three LPs, not the Sunn O one but it's predecessor's.

Maybe that's not what Bowie's trying to do but it feels like it's in the shadows of what's gone before.

I think Bowie's just trying to do something he hasn't done before, not necessarily something no-one else has done before. Some people regard Bowie as a great originator, but I don't think he's ever done anything truly original or brand new, but I still like him.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the whole album.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts