What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 301 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Played a few bits from:

Jazz Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

Joe Harriott and John Mayer Double Quintet - Indo-Jazz Fusions

Then:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...I have mostly been listening to:

The Yardbirds: 'The Yardbirds' aka 'Roger The Engineer' Jeff Beck...surely the most original guitar player.

The Electic Prunes: 'I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night' Mostly rubbish, but entertaining rubbish.

Charlie Parker:' The Verve Years 1950-51' Not as great as the Dial or Savoy stuff, but still better than everybody else.

Soundgarden: 'Badmotorfinger' A guilty secret, along with Alice In Chains. Ha!!!

Ike Quebec:'Blue & Sentimental' Grant Green on guitar is brilliant on this.

Curtis Mayfield: 'Roots' Genius.

John Coltrane:' Stellar Regions' Beautiful.

John Coltrane: 'Live In Seattle' Difficult...another bloody racket.

Dexter Gordon: 'Gettin' Around' Man, I love Dexter...any Dexter.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
There's definitely something wrong with me: I became strangely er, aroused when you referred to blue/black Columbia pressings. Excuse my illness folk, thanks.

As is often the case, my brother has a better collection of Pretty Things Lps. Mine are CD only.

And yes Jim, you've summed it up. The few gaps in key artists collections are always the ridiculously expensive ones. Today for example, I spotted a 50th Anniversary 1964 9LP Bob box set I never knew existed. Of course, I now want it.

I've got the 1963 edition (a mere 6LP affair), so that urge is most inconvenient.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
There's definitely something wrong with me: I became strangely er, aroused when you referred to blue/black Columbia pressings. Excuse my illness folk, thanks.

As is often the case, my brother has a better collection of Pretty Things Lps. Mine are CD only.

And yes Jim, you've summed it up. The few gaps in key artists collections are always the ridiculously expensive ones. Today for example, I spotted a 50th Anniversary 1964 9LP Bob box set I never knew existed. Of course, I now want it.

I've got the 1963 edition (a mere 6LP affair), so that urge is most inconvenient.

Strange arousals and inconvenient urges. Charlie, that's why collecting records is like being a 13 year old boy...forever!! I know exactly what you mean of course...my heart fair races when I'm looking through boxes of unsorted records...you just never know what you might find. It's the thrill of the chase of course; get 'em home, play 'em and it's gone...so off we go again!!! I'll google the Bob boxes; I had no idea they existed.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Playing through wonderfully after a clean in the Knosti.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Playing through wonderfully after a clean in the Knosti.

Hi BBB

I found the album on youtube and played it through. Lovely record. Bargain!!!

I've only played side one, but the SQ was great, and it's just a 'lovely record' as you say. Really happy!

They have one more album, was is much more valuable, and I was hoping to find it today, but I guess I've been lucky enough over the last few days.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Pink Floyd- The Wall
Al Stewart _ Year OF The Cat
Chris Rea - New Light Through Old Windows
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Boston - Boston
Blue Oyster Cult - The one with Don't Fear The Reaper on it.
Bad Company - Straight Shooter and a few tracks from Tina Turner.

Well it's bin wet all day ain't it.
I'm off swimming next, did a length of Butterfly on holiday, bout killed me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've got to go back to work next week, bad back or no bad back, so I'm making the most of what is probably my last day off for a while.

Mongo Santamaria - Hey! Let's Party (Just a few tracks)

Pigbag - Dr Heckle and Mr Jive (I'm still unsure where to file this. It's jazzy, it's funky, it's moody, experiemental, soundtracky, with more than a touch of Ska thrown in too)

Laurie Anderson - Big Science (Another frustrating filing dilemma)

I then tried The Bible - The Bible, but abandoned that after one track

Then on to just one side of each of these:

Happy Mondays - Bummed

Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei

Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Pigbag - Dr Heckle and Mr Jive (I'm still unsure where to file this. It's jazzy, it's funky, it's moody, experiemental, soundtracky, with more than a touch of Ska thrown in too)

If you like that, try Rip Rig + Panic (the group, not the Roland Kirk LP). They're only tangentially related, both containing ex-members of The Pop Group, but RR+P are one of my favourite acts of all time - a wild punk-funk-ethno-jazz fusion. Both of their first two LPs (God and I Am Cold) are well worth the price of admission any day. There's a selection of tracks on Mixcloud: Subversive Wisdom mix.

All I can say is: enjoy!

(ps: this was the first band Neneh Cherry was in, as an 18-year-old. You can hear her singing in some tracks. Oh, and her father, Don, plays trumpet on a couple. Thankfully Eagle-Eye doesn't turn up at all.)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I thnk you might have recommend them to me before, so if I ever see one of their albums at a car boot etc., I'll probably make a purchase.

You didn't help me with my problem of where to file Pigbag though. *biggrin*

Jazz?

Soul/Funk?

New Wave?

Ska/Reggae?

80s?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
You didn't help me with my problem of where to file Pigbag though.

Try the shelf you put your records on. [scarpers]

If you find either of RR+P's first two albums, beg, borrow or steal them. Don't bother with the third, 'Attitude'. It has 4 stunning instrumental tracks on it, but the rest are rubbish.

After posting my last comment:

Rip Rig + Panic – God
Rip Rig + Panic – I Am Cold

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Up earlyish, so stuck on a few records.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust (one side)

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

Belly - Star (one side)

Crazy Elephant - Crazy Elephant (one side)

Then 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun' on Ummagumma

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Fleetwood Mac - 'Then Play On'. I have to say the sound quality is really rather good, and its nice that they haven't 'messed' around with the recording *smile*

Now moved on to...

Free - 'Fire And Water'

Genesis - 'Selling England By The Pound'. My copy still has the price tag, £5-69p from W H Smith. I've had this some years! Still sounds great though and in near mint condition.

King Crimson - 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'

And to round off the evening...

Mike Oldfield - 'Tubular Bells'. Yes I know, played to death, but hey, good music will always be...good music. Anyway, I like it, so up yours *yes3* *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Mike Oldfield - 'Tubular Bells'. Yes I know, played to death, but hey, good music will always be...good music. Anyway, I like it, so up yours *yes3* *biggrin*

You pre-empted my response, it seems. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

granmas_house-a_collection_of_songs_by_wall_of_voodoo.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

You pre-empted my response, it seems. *biggrin*

Yep, I knew what was coming *biggrin*

And I knew that was coming. *blum3*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Btw Bernie, are you familiar with King Crimson? Their later stuff was dreadful, so right up your street I reckon *biggrin*

Does later include Discipline and Three Of A Perfect Pair?

Really like those two!!! And Court Of The Crimson King. Very partial to Red too, when the mood takes me to that part of my collection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts