What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Well it rained, so guiltily I listened to a Lera Lynn song "The Only Thing Worth Fighting For" from True Detective Series 2 I think off Spotify (sorry guys smack my hands and all that) then I wound the TT up.

Side 1 Led Zep 1, Side 2 Ten Years After Cricklewood Green.
Sde 2 America Homecoming, amazing 40 odd years I've had this and sounds perfect.
Side3 The Who Quadrophenia same as above.
Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45rpm in reverse order sides 4,3 2 & then 1, stunning, and I was going to play something else perhaps Zep 3 and my wife said "do you fancy a walk down the pub" so I went and had 2 pints of Pedi, gorgeous. And it's still raining, never mind off to Madeira on Monday.

Lost Angeles said:
Well it rained, so guiltily I listened to a Lera Lynn song "The Only Thing Worth Fighting For" from True Detective Series 2 I think off Spotify (sorry guys smack my hands and all that) then I wound the TT up.

Side 1 Led Zep 1, Side 2 Ten Years After Cricklewood Green.Sde 2 America Homecoming, amazing 40 odd years I've had this and sounds perfect.Side3 The Who Quadrophenia same as above.Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45rpm in reverse order sides 4,3 2 & then 1, stunning, and I was going to play something else perhaps Zep 3 and my wife said "do you fancy a walk down the pub" so I went and had 2 pints of Pedi, gorgeous. And it's still raining, never mind off to Madeira on Monday.

That Fleetwood Mac album is stunning isn't it. I'd be playing it now if my power amp wasn't in for a service. Enjoy Madeira, the island that is not the sponge ( I am a real fruitcake type of guy if you know what I mean). :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Which version of rumours 2x45 do you have .? I have the Steve Hoffman U.S. version pressed at Pallas Germany -its stunning and reported to be better than the EU release ?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Good to see Charlie and Jim on here-hope the dream becomes reality, Charlie.

Been busy over the last few weeks, so no time for record playing. Went to a festival last weekend though.......

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-towatching/your-most-recent-gig?page=23#comment-913630

Thanks BBB and everyone else who's wished me well with the theatre school venture. Hopefully we can make some progress. Last night's "planning meeting" turned into a gin-soaked wreckage of an evening - so lots of talk and little action in following the dream.

Quiet house to myself for a few hours, so it's:

After The Goldrush - Neil Young

and then, if my head can take it the Neu box set or bits of it.

Taking my two boys to the Lakes for a week from tomorrow, should be fun. Extra bonus, my brother, who we're staying with, has an excellent vinyl collection stretching back fifty of his fifty seven years. I love digging through his diverse horde. He's got a stack of early seventies Island label folkies which I'm determined to discover more of.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Last night's "planning meeting" turned into a gin-soaked wreckage of an evening

You say that as if it's a bad thing...

Well, I've got to say it had it's moments.

The bar guy assumed we were discerning affiaciandos of all matters gin, we aren't , and continued plying us with many variations on a theme.

Music:

skipped Neu and went for Endtroducing - DJ Shadow. Followed by:

Ezra Furman and The Congos' Dub Feast. Mightily fine, mighty fine.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm no fan of gin, Charlie, but someone did leave a small amount of Plymouth gin at my house after a barbeque, and I have to say, it was a giant leap above Gordons etc.

Just nipped out to the local charity shop, and found a copy of The Telescopes - Taste in mint condition for £4. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

A bit of time to myself today, so pulled out a few LPs.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Come - Eleven:Eleven

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

Gang Of Four - Content

The Telescopes - Taste

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm no fan of gin, Charlie, but someone did leave a small amount of Plymouth gin at my house after a barbeque, and I have to say, it was a giant leap above Gordons etc.

Just nipped out to the local charity shop, and found a copy of The Telescopes - Taste in mint condition for £4. *smile*

That's a cool find, BBB. The Telescopes more than the Plymouth gin - but both have their admirable properties.

Sounds:

Gwo Ka

LKJ in Dub

Harvest - Neil Young

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
A bit of time to myself today, so pulled out a few LPs.

Played a bit of that some months back. Could only take 10 minutes of it. Do they ever stop tuning up? *biggrin*

Anyway, managed to spin some today...

The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children

The Police - Reggatta De Blanc

The Police - Synchronicity

The Alan Parsons Project (yeah baby!) - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination

Van Morrison - Into The Music

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Graham Parker And The Rumour - Heat Treatment (oooh, 'Black Honey' is sooo good!)

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Been a while since I've had a good sit down with vinyl. A combination of things including a lot of weekend on call work and also Glastonbury and Latitude festivals.

Perhaps the thing stopping me most though is my 14 month old son who has been very mobile for the last 4 months and has developed a fascination with the hi-fi and particularly the on/off button of the amp, which I am sure can't be good for the amp if it is pressed constantly. This has led to the music room door being kept shut until he has gone to bed. Have been able to train him now though, can see he wants to press it but knows he can't. meant yesterday I was able to have a nice long session:

Bat For Lashes - Fur and Gold

Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy (love this record, forgot how good it is)

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Paul Weller - Saturns Pattern

Simple Minds - Once Upon a Time

Diiv - Oshin

Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters (brilliant Russian shoegaze with a modern backbeat)

Daughter - If You Leave

Then today, a new purchase

Tame Impala - Currents (sounding very good but be warned you may think there is something wrong with you TT as some built in fuzz and even on one song sounds as if the TT motor is slowing down and speeding up, luckily I had heard it on Spotify before I bought it!)

Roxy Music - Avalon

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Played a bit of that some months back. Could only take 10 minutes of it. Do they ever stop tuning up? *biggrin*

You're a very naughty boy, and your (admittedly very severe) punishment is to listen to Kiss FM for 10 hours, without a break.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've been driving my wife insane listening to:

Squarepusher - Damogen Furies

Sabres Of Paradse - Sabresonic II

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been exploring new old music. Stuff I passed over the first time around when I was younger.

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" LP.

Rickie Lee Jones' LP - Last Chance Texaco especially.

I picked up a copy of Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" but it's a new pressing which sounds suspiciously like it was simply copied off the CD, I shall see if I can track down a second hand original as the copy I bought is near unplayable (that's the last new vinyl I bother with). I just want a good sounding copy of "People Get Ready".

And lots and lots of 1990s dance music from my collection of about 400 12" singles :)

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
had one delivered today a reissue:

John Carpenter - Escape form New York OST

This sounds damn fine on 2x180g from original master tapes too

I've only bought three new vinyl LPs in the last year, and the SQ on all three is horrendous. One of them, Bastille's "Bad Blood", went back for a refund - not of merchantable quality; flat sounding and distorted all the way through. A real shame as I think it's a good album.

I've been filling in gaps in my collection ordering second-hand from Discogs, and have been really impressed with the mint condition of almost everything I've bought for very little outlay.

I was going to give up on buying new vinyl since it just sounds like a CD copied onto vinyl, can I ask - how do you know the record is from the original master (not just a CD) *before* you buy? This would be really helpful in deciding whether to purchase.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
dtmark :.

So I guess you have found out the hard way that not all new vinyl is done properly - ie digital cd quality masters cut to vinyl - damn right it's a complete rip off.

what you need to do is research new vinyl very carefully, all new releases from today's artists will all come from digital masters, but in hi res not cd quality sometimes a bit hit and miss but I never buy new vinyl blind.

With regards to the Escape from New York OST, check on Norman Records website and it will tell you in the description that it has come from the original analogue masters, much like the Dire Straits 2014 reissues last year which are absolutely superb, same with the Led Zep reissues.

Just for the record ( no pun ) Lordes 'Pure Heroine' is an excellent example of how new vinyl should be done - it's stunning.

look on Steve Hoffman forums and registers with the decent online record retailers ie Norman Records, Warp Records etc

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Spun a few today...

Graham Parker And The Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks

Graham Parker - The Up Escalator

Status Quo - Dog Of Two Head (yes, I know, but everyone has at least one Quo album, don't they?)

Jethro Tull - Stormwatch

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (still ain't 'working')

Dave Edmunds - Tracks On Wax 4

Yes - Going For The One (not a great fan of Yes, but I didn't mind this)

The Clash - London Calling

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've had the house to myself for a few days, so:

One Size Fits All - Zappa

Zappa/LSO Vol II - Kent Nagano

Daughter of Cloud/Of Sylvanbriar/Aureate Gloom/Hissing Fauna, are you the destroyer? - Of Montreal

Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Beefheart

Early Recordings - Link Wray

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence & The Machine

Dark Star - Grateful Dead

Perpetual Motion People - Ezra Furman

Want One - Rufus Wainwright

The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths

I Love You, Honeybear - Father John Misty

Entroducing - DJ Shadow

Harvest/Everybody Knows/Goldrush - Neil Young

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Fotheringay: 'Fotheringay' 'Banks Of The Nile' destroys me...I mean really...overwhelming.

The Byrds: 'Notorious Byrd Brothers'

The Red Garland Quintet: 'Soul Junction' Paul Chambers on bass..that means it's a great record...oh and Coltrane too.

Bob Marley: 'Exodus'

The Kinks: 'Everybody's in Show-Biz'

Circle:'Paris-Concert' Chick Corea, Anthony Braxton etc...contains several passages best described as a bloody racket

John Martyn: 'The Tumbler' Sweet, summery, lovely.

The Durutti Column: 'Lips That Would Kiss' 12"

'Miller/Coxhill' Steve Miller (piano) and Lol Coxhill (saxes) Great improv stuff from 1973.

Yusef Lateef: 'Lost In Sound'

The Nice: 'The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack' Mono...a bloody racket.

Charlie...great list. Hope your holiday is going well.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
More music, more music:

Technique - New Order

The Sunlandic Twins - Of Montreal

'More music, more music' Is that a cop from 'Who Sell Out', Charlie? Or just coincidence?

Glad you're having a good break.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts