What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 294 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It's in my 'to be cleaned' pile, so it's quite crackly, but I just fancied hearing 'O Superman'.

CD-1982-Big-Science-SM.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It's in my 'to be cleaned' pile, so it's quite crackly, but I just fancied hearing 'O Superman'.

How is that? I remember 'Oh Superman' and like that. If I recall right, wasn't she a bit....weird?

I'm gonna tell you off now Freddy, because I get really annoyed by people calling all music that sounds a bit different, weird. *smile*

Now you've had your telling off, I can confirm 2 things. 1. The record was so crackly that I didn't get past 'O Superman', and 2. It is most definitely a bit weird *lol* .

I heard it recently on 6 Music, having not heard it for a long time, and I just thought, what an amazing sounding record it is. I'm hoping the rest of the album is as unusual and interesting sounding, if it is, I'll try and pick up a much better copy.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Not posted recently but here is what I have been playing over last few weeks

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

Dexys - Don't Stand Me Down

Depeche Mode - The Singles

Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues

Doors - LA Woman

The Blue Nile - Hats

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

The Jam - Extras vol 2

The Clash - The Clash

Sinkane - Mean Love

Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing

Savages - Silence Yourself

Eno Hyde - Someday World

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks BBB, have not been away just not posting. Have to say I do like the turntable section as helpful people and no petty squabbles (mostly).

This evening

Echo & The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Hear

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

The House of Love - Fontana (or Butterflies depending on how you name their albums!)

The Waterboys - This Is The Sea

Toy - Join The Dots

Bunnymen, HoL and Waterboys all originals, you forget just how razor thin vinyl was back then. They also make a mockery of the current vogue for 'it's not vinyl unless it's 180g'. They have all been looked after and not a pop or hiss on them, all have real depth and weight to there sound. 180g, another marketing trick to get you to pay more, discuss!

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The Human League - Travelogue

I've always been a massive The Human League fan and I just love the fact that they started out as four nerdy blokes experimenting with synths as in the above LP and then created pop perfection with -

The Human League - Dare

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Went to my parents on Friday so they could look after the boy whilst Sarah and I went to Twickenham yesterday and a very good game of rugby it was too. Back home late afternoon and spinning some vinyl with a few bottles of Bath Gem ale, very nice too.

Blur - The Magic Whip (arrived whilst we were away so 1st spin and I like a lot, love a band who do different things and don't retread their previous efforts)

Echo & The Bunnymen - Echo & The Bunnymen

The Cure - Standing on a Beach the Singles (not played this for years, sounds absolutely amazing and never realised there was so much detail, worked out wouldn't have played it since the Inspire Quest upgrade, Graham Slee phono stage and Nag were added which goes to show these were all money well spent)

The Who - Who's Better, Who's Best

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I saw my name being kicked around so I thought I'd better quell the rumours that I'd either fallen off my bike or died in a mysterious gardening accident. Nope, various life things combined to produce, oh I dunno, a difficult period of time...listening to records was the last thing on my mind, strangely enough. I guess it happens. I've played a few recently; they're scattered around all over the place. This afternoon I'll gather them up and write a list. Big hugs to my special friends.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
These:

T.IM.E: 'Smooth Ball' Sort of hippy nonsense. Ok though.

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy; 'The Peanut Butter Conspiracy' Beautiful hippy nonsense.

Judee Sill: 'Judee Sill' Salvation.

Arvo Part: 'Tabula Rasa' Beautiful.

Fotheringay: 'Fotheringay.'

Bert Jansch: 'Edge Of A Dream.'

Albery Ayler: 'New Grass.'

Stanley Clarke: 'Journey To Love.'

Nick Drake: 'Pink Moon.' More salvation.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I saw my name being kicked around so I thought I'd better quell the rumours that I'd either fallen off my bike or died in a mysterious gardening accident. Nope, various life things combined to produce, oh I dunno, a difficult period of time...listening to records was the last thing on my mind, strangely enough. I guess it happens. I've played a few recently; they're scattered around all over the place. This afternoon I'll gather them up and write a list. Big hugs to my special friends.

Welcome back Jim. I must admit, I'd just started checking eBay for large quantities of rare records for sale in the Nottingham area. *biggrin*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Welcome back Jim. I must admit, I'd just started checking eBay for large quantities of rare records for sale in the Nottingham area. *biggrin*

According to you, BBB, I'm dead and you're married to my daughter; you don't need to be looking on ebay...they're yours already, big boy!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

According to you, BBB, I'm dead and you're married to my daughter; you don't need to be looking on ebay...they're yours already, big boy!

*lol*

Oh Yeah! I forgot.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Infiniteloop said:
Discharge are still gigging. - I'm a long time friend of of the sister of one of the band members!

They played my local venue last summer (or was it the summer before), and I would've gone if I hadn't been at a festival that weekend.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Had a quick spin of 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', but my listening was disturbed, so only got halfway through 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun'.

Will return to it though, as it was pretty good.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Had a quick spin of 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', but my listening was disturbed, so only got halfway through 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun'.

Great record, BBB. The version of 'Set The Controls...' on Ummagumma' is great too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I have Ummagumma too, so I'll give them both a spin.

Quite happy with my copy of ASOS after a good clean (not with water and washing up liquid), a few crackles here and there, but perfectly listenable.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Great record, but, ain't that a bit....groovy for you? *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Great record, but, ain't that a bit....groovy for you? *biggrin*

tumblr_ltqqpsKXc31qizhaoo1_500.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts