What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
It's still Bend Beyond by Woods for me. A truly great album. West-coast with a scratchy psych-pop twist.

Anything like Olivia Tremor Control Charlie?

I loved OTC, and for me Woods are another band to cherish. For every note of quaintness, there's a balancing drop of acid to keep the thing from becoming too sickly sweet.

There's a touch more dissonance to Bend Beyond. And I love it.

Dusk At Cubist Castle is one of my all time favourite albums, just brilliant.

I've only just found out about the death of Bill Doss, very sad, and left me asking the question, Why? Why? Why not James Blunt or Robbie Williams?

I shall seek out Bend Beyond though.

It's an injustice, is it not.

Cubist Castle is also in my top 50 LPs of all-time. Bend Beyond is coming up on the rails into that putative list. I'm listening to it at all times - in the car, on the kitchen iDock thing, my iPad at work but not surprisngly that much on my hi-fi for some reason.

It's that perverse logic that indicates what a great album it is. Music over hi-fideltiy every time.

Let us know what you think, if and when you get chance to have a listen.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Uncle Meat - Zappa/Mothers

2) Symphony no.4 - Tubin/Jarvi

3) Abbey Road (remastered version)

4) Evil Urges - MMJ

5) King Of Limbs - Radiohead

6) Bend Beyond - Woods

7) Zen Arcade - Husker Du

8) Zep 2

9) Gaucho - Steely Dan

A rare all-day listening session.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51qHlOBGE9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

deafinoneear

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
1. Band on the run. Wings

2.Saint Dominics preview. Van Morrison

3. Sticky Fingers. Stones

4.Bridge over Troubled water. Simon & G

5.Born to Run. Bruce

6.Back in Black. AC DC

All bought for under a fiver from Carnival Records in Malvern except the Stones first pressing which I swapped the wife for ;)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Symphony No.4 - Tubin.

2) Why Should The Fire Die? - Nickel Creek

3) Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

4) Your Arsenal - Morrissey

5) Tribute To George Harrison - Yim Yames (Jim James)

6) Sunken Condos - Donald Fagen

Snow day with the children and lots of vinyl when they went to sleep.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Richard Strauss' Salome - Vienna Philharmonic/Christoph Von Dohnanyi

Images For Orchestra - Debussy/Previn

This Is PIL - PIL

The Photographer - Philip Glass

Face To Face - The Kinks

Another snow day, another day of vinyl. Back to work tomorrow.

I'm currently only just managing to get around to my Christmas presents!

Illinois Jacquet - 'Swing's the Thing' (Verve Records)

Ben Webster & 'Sweets' Edison - 'Wanted to do one together' (Columbia ORG)

Duke Ellington - 'Ellington Indigos' (Impex / Columbia Limited Ed.)

Johnny Cash - 'Hello I'm Johnny Cash' (Columbia)

These are pure class in recording quality sense (I know the actual music might not be to everyone's taste) but hey, you gotta suck it and see!

I must say a couple of these were very hard to find and required a shipment from the US of A, but damn they were worth it!

Bod

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Got around 30 people coming to my very small house tonight for a "Bring a Vinyl and Food" party.

- I will be opening the proceedings with my two latest purchases: New Order - Lost Sirens & The Pixies - Into The White

- Half way through my contributions will be: Mischief Brew - Smash the Windows, Fall of Effraffa - Inle, The Stooges - Fun House

- And I will finish the night with: Scientist - At The Controls of Dub or John Lee Hooker depending on how things are going.

Everyone has to bring at least one record to play so I will let you know I've I discover any gems or oddities.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Bod said:
Got around 30 people coming to my very small house tonight for a "Bring a Vinyl and Food" party.

- I will be opening the proceedings with my two latest purchases: New Order - Lost Sirens & The Pixies - Into The White

- Half way through my contributions will be: Mischief Brew - Smash the Windows, Fall of Effraffa - Inle, The Stooges - Fun House

- And I will finish the night with: Scientist - At The Controls of Dub or John Lee Hooker depending on how things are going.

Everyone has to bring at least one record to play so I will let you know I've I discover any gems or oddities.

That sounds like a very long evening if all 30 get to play their records in full .

camcroft

$(KGrHqNHJEIFD0HQJ7dsBQ9C7I3Frg~~60_35.JPG

Your thoughts on this one?

I .Actually bought this album for my wife as she was a fan of his years ago.I had also listened to some of his songs and I played her some digital versions of his songs and she said that they dont sound the same as the vinyl copies.I have to agree with her.I am also back into my vinyl ( LPs) and am now convinced that records in general sound better than their digital counterparts. I must say that i do like the album and others of his and think that he is a very talented musician

TRENDING THREADS