What TV media player?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I'm looking for a streaming media player for a 32" Samsung TV that I've recently got off my dad and put in the bedroom. I want it for streaming live TV and catch-up via iPlayer (ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5 would be a nice bonus) and also MP4 movies from my NAS. The TV is a bit old but it does have HDMI so I don't think I'll have any interface issues.

I was in Curry's and Maplin's last weekend looking at a few, mainly the Roku LT, Ruku 2 and Western Digital TV Live. I explained to the assistants that I wanted a box which would stream iPlayer (etc) and play MP4 movies from my home NAS, but that last requirement to stream MP4 movies from my NAS across my LAN was the sticking-point because no-one in either shop had enough product-knowledge to say yay or nay.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd already checked the WHF review of the Now TV box and it doesn't appear to have any kind of local-network streaming, only internet.

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
Guys, I'm looking for a streaming media player for a 32" Samsung TV that I've recently got off my dad and put in the bedroom. I want it for streaming live TV and catch-up via iPlayer (ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5 would be a nice bonus) and also MP4 movies from my NAS. The TV is a bit old but it does have HDMI so I don't think I'll have any interface issues.

WDTV will stream from a NAS.

Roku can, but you'll need to install/run a media server either on a PC, or on the NAS if it supports it.

The other problem is live streaming etc, Roku (and other players) have apps/plugins/channels for BBC etc, but for catch up, not live streaming.

There are often unofficial workarounds, but are usually unreliable, break or stop being developed.

Have you considered a Raspberry Pi running Rasbian/OpenELEC/Xbian?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
John Duncan said:
What do you mean by 'streaming live TV'? Does it only have an analogue tuner or something?

No aerial in that room at a guess.

Spot on.

Thanks for the tips re the WDTV, I'll do some research on that.

omnibeard said:
What's wrong with another Mac mini, or am I missing the point?

I was hoping for a solution which wouldn't set me back another five hundred quid! :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You are obviously a jammy so and so because Apple 'scene tax' seems to ensure that empty boxes go for more than that normally. It's unlikely I'd be so lucky.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
You are obviously a jammy so and so because Apple 'scene tax' seems to ensure that empty boxes go for more than that normally. It's unlikely I'd be so lucky.

It's not particularly new, but new enough to run snow leopard, which I think is the decisive factor. You just need to keep an eye on ebay, there's the odd Buy It Now where someone wants rid quickly and for not a lot of money, and gumtree, which can have serious bargains. In fact I picked up one on there for £80. Admittedly I spend about another £20 or so on maxing out RAM but there are def bargains to be had.

With the extra RAM both machines are now nippy enough to run XBMC, itunes, anything you want to throw at them really. 3D rendering might be out of the question though, damnit.

andrewmillner

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
It seems that WD TV is the only unit that will also connect and stream from my DNLA or UPnP NAS. There are other but they are much more expensive. Whilst I am interested in the Internet streaming service I am more interested in NAS streaming.

faye

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am finding for a treaming media box as well.

Is there any Live Channel that available at the media player that you guy suggest?

The Roku LT and Roku 2 is it?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
There is only one XBMC... all others usually have some form of compromise or require a network DNLA server or similar running.

You could knock one up either using an older mac mini or using something like a small desktop/nettop like the acer revo http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/series/revol

It's hard to reccomend anything else once you've used it as it's fully customisable to the n'th degree. (it's a pretty good music player as well, given it can do wasapi and you can control it from one's tablet as well) :)

edit - not the greatest demo but gives you an idea of what it can look like when it's all set up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZN4pO7P8jo

andrewmillner

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I have the WD Live and it works well. It streams my video from my NAS but also offers other media player support. I prefer to connect over Ethernet but it is flexible. I think you will like it.

andrewmillner

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I have the WD Live and it works well. It streams my video from my NAS but also offers other media player support. I prefer to connect over Ethernet but it is flexible. I think you will like it.

Maca5631

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
If it weren't for the catch-up requirement, I would have suggested any of the Dune 'Smart' series of streamers. Catch-up is pretty much non-existent but streaming capabilities are spot on. If you don't mind a bit of time and effort, you could go down the HTPC route and get exactly what you want and need. More costly though. I recently purchased a WD Live TV streamer, and was so impressed I bought 2 more. It only has iPlayer, but does have Netflix. It can be skinned as well. For £70 you can't go wrong. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts