What Turntable?

jakesaunders27

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

Wanted to ask what turntable you would recomend for my Rotel 02 Series system. i want to listen to stuff like pink floyd and radiohead in vinyl. what would you recomend i have a budget of around £400-500.

Cheers

Jake

You just might get a slightly quicker response if you posted this in the 'Turntables' section ....... still 50 minutes isn't bad for a response time.

Do you intend to get a new one for the budget or are you prepared to go second hand?

Probably one of the Rega turntables would be the best for you. New RP3's going for £475 but you would have to find extra for a cartridge. There is a second hand 'Rega RP3 Inspire Quest turntabele' going on Ebay for £435 which is recommended, or failing that look out for a used Rega P3-24 fitted with some sort of cartridge for around £300 second hand (ie see Ebay).

There is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers! Yes the cartridge is the device attached to the tonearm to which the stylus (needle) is attached. Most modern turntables do not come with one fitted (although some do)the choice of cartridge is generally left up to you.

jakesaunders27

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
OK thanks!!

I have just seen the Rega RP1 it has 5 stars from what hifi is this any good? Just thinking about money for a cartridge? As the rp3 uses up most of my budget

Thanks

The Rega RP1 is their most basic turntable. It should suffice and, as you say comes fitted with Ortofon cartridge, so it is ready to go. If you are unsure about fitting a cartridge to an arm or just want to keep things simple then it is a good way to go.
Spend a couple of hundred more thougfh and significant improvements can be made on the sound quality front.

jakesaunders27

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi again

Decided on the Rega RP1 will go and listen to it when I have the cash and time but been reading and people are on about a phono stage? What's this and will I need one?

Cheers

Jake

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jakesaunders27 said:
... people are on about a phono stage? What's this and will I need one?

No.

Your Rotel has one built in already. It is labelled as 'Phono' on the input selector knob and the inputs (on the back) are the ones also labelled 'phono'. The first set of inputs on the left (looking towards the back of the amp) next to a knurled screw labelled 'GND'. (The earth connection for turntables that have an earth lead.)

+1 for chebby's 'No' and his his excellent description as to why.
You will not need one for the cartridge fitted to the RP1 or the vast majority of 'moving magnet' cartridges for that matter (should you decide to upgrade it in the future that is).

jakesaunders27

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
hi guys thanks for your replys

seen the rega rp1 performance pack on what hifi but cant find it in any shops online does the performance pack make a big different to the sound quality?

cheers

jake

Lost Angeles said:
Lintone Audio have a brand new REGA P3-24 on E-bay for £299.95 + cartridge with free postage.
Is this not a better deal than an RP1.?

Sorry about the bold type.

Hi Lost Angeles. Indeed it is, good spot! :clap:

Ah. Indeed it would be if it came with a cartridge fitted.... it does not appear to have one.
Believe the OP is a bit doubtful about fitting one himself, hence his plumping for the RP1

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you want to buy something brand new then the Rega P3-24 at £300 is a good deal.

If you want something that sounds at least as good as a Michell Orbe or OL Aurora Gold for less than £500 then buy something like a Sony PS-6750, Pioneer PL 71, Kenwood KD 990 or KD 7010 or KD 500, JVC QL-55F or QL-Y55F or QL-Y7 or QL-7 etc etc etc

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
Lost Angeles said:
Lintone Audio have a brand new REGA P3-24 on E-bay for £299.95 + cartridge with free postage.
Is this not a better deal than an RP1.?

Sorry about the bold type.

Hi Lost Angeles. Indeed it is, good spot! :clap:

Ah. Indeed it would be if it came with a cartridge fitted.... it does not appear to have one. Believe the OP is a bit doubtful about fitting one himself, hence his plumping for the RP1

Must be worth asking if they can fit one.

lindsayt said:
If you want to buy something brand new then the Rega P3-24 at £300 is a good deal.

If you want something that sounds at least as good as a Michell Orbe or OL Aurora Gold for less than £500 then buy something like a Sony PS-6750, Pioneer PL 71, Kenwood KD 990 or KD 7010 or KD 500, JVC QL-55F or QL-Y55F or QL-Y7 or QL-7 etc etc etc

Agree with your first statement.
Would not advise OP to pay for any Japanese turntable from the seventies without checking very carefully regards parts availability.
I have had experience with 2 on your list and personally believe your sound quality quip is a trifle misleading especially concerning a certain Kenwood listed.

jakesaunders27

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys
Yes I still think that the RP1 is the best for me as it's already got a cartridge on but thanks anyway for that link. And cheers allears for all of your help will let you know how I'm getting on when I buy it

Cheers again
Jake

jakesaunders27

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys
Yes I still think that the RP1 is the best for me as it's already got a cartridge on but thanks anyway for that link. And cheers allears for all of your help will let you know how I'm getting on when I buy it

Cheers again
Jake

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts