What Turntable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Thanks Alantiggger you beat me to it.
Yes that is the one.
Jake ask Lintone Audio to price it with a fitted Bias 2 cartridge or similar, I'm sure they would do the fitting of it, and you would have a far better set up than the RP1.

A

Anonymous

jakesaunders27 said:
I have noticed its only got 5 days left will it keep being put back on? As I won't have the money anytime soon as I'm buying a new phone!

I would say: a matter of priorities.....:O

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
lindsayt said:
If you want to buy something brand new then the Rega P3-24 at £300 is a good deal.

If you want something that sounds at least as good as a Michell Orbe or OL Aurora Gold for less than £500 then buy something like a Sony PS-6750, Pioneer PL 71, Kenwood KD 990 or KD 7010 or KD 500, JVC QL-55F or QL-Y55F or QL-Y7 or QL-7 etc etc etc

Agree with your first statement. Would not advise OP to pay for any Japanese turntable from the seventies without checking very carefully regards parts availability. I have had experience with 2 on your list and personally believe your sound quality quip is a trifle misleading especially concerning a certain Kenwood listed.

Which Kenwood out of the KD 990 / 7010 or KD 500 have you heard? And what arm and cartridge was on it? And how did you think it compared to a Michell Orbe or OL Aurora Gold?

Sometimes you need to replace the capacitors in tt's like the JVC QL-7's to keep the pitch stability up to spec. Capacitors are still widely available for very little money and will be for as long as civilisation lasts. Apart from that I can't think of any parts that you'd ever need. There's no stupid rubber belt to wear out. No stupid little springs to adjust and replace. Some of them don't even need oil replacements or top ups. You just keep using and using them.

The big problem with the Rega P3-24 is that every single record that you ever play on it will sound as if it is lacking in clarity, punch, crispness compared to a decent classic Japanese dd tt that you could buy for the same sort of money. So I can only recommend the Rega for its newness. I can't recommend it for its sound quality per pound spent. I can't recommend the Rega for convenience and ease of set-up either. Not when you can so often buy the sort of tt's I'm recommending with cartridges already fitted.

jakesaunders27 said:
hi guys thanks for your replys

seen the rega rp1 performance pack on what hifi but cant find it in any shops online does the performance pack make a big different to the sound quality?

cheers

jake
The performance pack you mention is an upgrade but how much it would improve the sound i cannot say as have not heard it. It consists of a cartridge upgrade to the Rega Bias 2, a new drive belt and platter mat. For a price difference of £70 I would say it is not particularly of benefit to you. It is available here:- http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/Rega_RP1_Turntable_%28Fitted_with_the_Performance_Pack%29_REGA-RP1W-1 Note: At this price you are still much better off going for the P3-24 fitted with Bias 2 cartridge by Lintone Audio (the cartridge is liste at £65 but I would haggle for a decent price of this together with P3-24, at least getting them to fit it for free. This would give you a fine set-up for around £360./p>

T

the record spot

Not for the want of looking, but if you can find one of those JVC decks on Ebay in a year, then you're doing well, never mind the rest. Stick with the £300 for the P3 from Lintone or the likes and spend a bit more on the catridge. Or get a refurb P3 from Lintone (£260) and save some cash.

Oh and I'd ca' canny re: the older decks like Lindsayt has mentioned, especially older direct drive units like the JVCs he mentioned; allow a good £100 on top for a service once you've eventually found one. Nice idea and pretty enough decks, but wholly impractical for your needs.

the record spot said:
Not for the want of looking, but if you can find one of those JVC decks on Ebay in a year, then you're doing well, never mind the rest. Stick with the £300 for the P3 from Lintone or the likes and spend a bit more on the catridge. Or get a refurb P3 from Lintone (£260) and save some cash.

Oh and I'd ca' canny re: the older decks like Lindsayt has mentioned, especially older direct drive units like the JVCs he mentioned; allow a good £100 on top for a service once you've eventually found one. Nice idea and pretty enough decks, but wholly impractical for your needs.

Well said that man! .......The Sony is on Ebay though ........although I don't need a second deck. :beer:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
I need to state I have no association with Lintone Audio, I live in Staffordshire not Tyne and Wear.

Dont believe you, prove it :rofl: .

How ya doing LA ?. Thought i would pop in for a minute or three .

A

Anonymous

Alears said:
Lost Angeles said:
Lintone Audio have a brand new REGA P3-24 on E-bay for £299.95 + cartridge with free postage.
Is this not a better deal than an RP1.?

Sorry about the bold type.

Hi Lost Angeles. Indeed it is, good spot! :clap:

Ah. Indeed it would be if it came with a cartridge fitted.... it does not appear to have one. Believe the OP is a bit doubtful about fitting one himself, hence his plumping for the RP1
Plumping, good word that, you don't hear it very often. :)

T

the record spot

Yes; most come with it built-in, but others have the means to take an offboard power supply and many high end turntables are designed this way.

A

Anonymous

I purchased a Rega P2 and regret prefering it over P3. Avoid turntables like P1 and P2 and others that use MDF plates.

Rega P3 is very good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts