What to upgrade on an ancient system!!???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

just joined the forum.......I used to read the mag many years ago when I were a lad!

Its a bit embarassing to ask when I compare my humble 20 year old system to all the high end components on here!

How technology has moved on!

Anyway, I have :

Harman Kardon HK 6150 amp

Marantz CD 40

Wharfedale Diamond 3's

I have £150 to change one component (hoping for a new lease of life)

I was going to buy a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 .............would these improve things or has technology moved on so much that it would be better to change the amp or cd player?

Any help appreciated!

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz CD player has what some would say is a legendary DAC - that being the TDA1541.

Your amp is 30w per channel - but looks to have quite a high current drive capability - something that HK focussed on back in the 80's if I remember correctly.

I also found a review for the Diamond 3's, which suggested that in their day they were a good little speaker.

It's a tough call really - but I think the Diamond 3's are currently the weakest link, which I think reinforces your own opinion that replacing the speakers would probably yield the greatest return.

This assumes that the amp is still in fine fettle - which being an 80's (90's) HK product my guess is that it still is.

I suspect that the amp would even survive a CD player upgrade in the future too, and would probably be the last thing to replace.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

John Duncan

Difficult without knowing the Harman specifically, but at a guess I'd agree that the Diamonds need replacing - the 9.1 is a totally different beast to the older models, even up to version 8.

Look also at the Tannoy F1 which is cheaper and remarkably good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys

I think I'll treat myself to speakers.....................

For the next 20 years LOL!!

Only thing I find with the amp is the balance control pot is a bit crackly/temperamental.

If I had that repaired, can you have amps 'serviced' at the same time?

If so, what gets done and is it worth it?

Cheers for the replies.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
The crackling volume control is a 5 minute fix.

It just needs the lightest squirt of contact cleaner (Servisol Switch cleaner from Maplin - about £2)

Tony.

A

Anonymous

My father had a HK 730 receiver- late 70s, really good kick out of it, but eventually the pots went, despite cleaning and Servisol. Older kit can be prone to dry joints too, which is certain death.

My 1984? Creek CAS 4040 was passed to a nephew recently, and has died totally due to thesolder drying out, and stuff plain not working- e.g, it only functions in mono.

Recent purchase within your budget was a pair of KEF IQ1s, lovely vocal presence, and a search on the web found them going for £130.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts