What to buy first...? A DAC or the Stereo amp...?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a dilemma, I'll buy a DAC and a stereo amplifier, the possibilities are:

1st + NAD C326BEE DACMagic

or

2nd REGA Brio R + REGA DAC

I've set a hearing with the Rega and I am able to bring home the NAD + DACMagic during the weekend for a hearing. So far so good, with regard to the 1st set I can purchase all at once, but if I choose the 2nd I only can buy one piece at a time ... and here we go, if I decide to stay whith REGA... what to buy first?
some input will be welcomed!

A

Anonymous

I personnaly would prefer to buy something that fully please me better the save money or time.

But since it's a personnal choice base on priority and taste, I would go for an amp that I like first then later buy a DAC.

I would keep looking for second meanwhile. I was looking the same Rega set up and thats how I ended up with a great deal on a second hand UnitiQute :) (But since I'm not thrusting people I don't know, I went to the guy's place to test the product first. I have find out the it was the kind of guy who own cables that worth the same price as a new UnitiQute... The Qute was in perfect condition in every sense)

I'm really happy with my choice.

A

Anonymous

JBL N28 II

I usualy don't mention the name. I really don't want to offend someone who might like them.

I bouhgt those few years ago in sales while all I wanted was to get some sound out of my amp previous.

I of course have seen much worste speakers, but today for the same price I could get much much better speaker. At least to my taste. And compare to speaker who worth just a little more... the step is huge. Again, to my taste.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the input guys! I Went to XTZ web page for a peek and liked what I saw ... slightly higher than originally planned but a choice to take in consideration! why the cold feet whith the Rega brio r? the lack of options, there are no outputs for the upgrade, for starters ...

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have owned the XTZ Class A100D3 for 7 month - it's a really great amp, with a fair price.

It's now sold, because lack of control in the bottom end, even it boast to deliver 62 amps, and weight about 22kg!

I did also find it strained when listning for loonger time - also soundstage could be described as lifeless colorless sound.

I would deffently go Rega... :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Rega DAC arraived yesterday night, connected turnded on, and .... And .... And .... I whasen't ready for that!! Control, power, detail, clean voices and grip! my wife loves it! Is playing since yesterday and getting better by the hour!

A

Anonymous

its stonkingly good isn't it..its like a muddy vale has just been lifted from your speakers..enjoy!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
that's a fact! and for the next month I will get the BRIO R i'm anxious to have the two pieces together and start a new life with respect to Hi-Fi ... after new loud speakers, epos 5 maybe ...

A

Anonymous

If i had just spent £500 on a fridge i might expect to hear a slight hum, to hear such a noise from a state of the art amplifer fresh out of the box is not on, £500 is a lot of money to most people.

A

Anonymous

Mine is absolutly fine, no buzz/hum or any other unwanted interference..

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
jimm said:
If i had just spent £500 on a fridge i might expect to hear a slight hum, to hear such a noise from a state of the art amplifer fresh out of the box is not on, £500 is a lot of money to most people.

Exactly. I'm sending a letter off to Rega tomorrow for an explanation as this isn't an isolated incident.

Listening to some Laura Marling earlier and I can even hear the buzzing during the tracks :cry:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
i hope you get it sorted.. it must be very annoying. |(

It is, but not just not for me as you will see from the linked post.

I'm not taking it straight back to the dealer, though, as from other people's experiences this is indicating to me either a design or manufacturing flaw. Seems pot luck if you have one that doesn't hum to me but I'll see what Rega have to say.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
hum ... I read the forum, thanks Sizzers! And I agree with you Jimm have a buzzing in € 600 amp just out of the box I have to investigate the matter a little more. but what disturbs me most is that i read 7 or 8 reviews and none of them mention this fact! hi fi choice, WHF, Stereophile, digital audio etc ... I apologize to make this assertion in the magazine forum that I like and read, but facts are facts and must be treated as such!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts