What Stylus?

GP nick

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have been given a Dual 505-2 turntable and would like advice on what Ortofon stylus would sound best for rock/pop and jazz/classical. My amp is a NAD 3120 with Wharfdale speakers, OM 10 or PRO S?

Personally I wouldn't employ either. What is your budget?

If you insist we have to advise between the two mentioned then stick with the bog standard OM10 as the Pro S was designed with DJ's in mind and has a spherical tip, the OM10, at least, has an elliptical one.

GP nick

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that Al, I can only afford around £50, so unless you can recommend anything I will stick with the OM 10 for now.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Given your budget then the Audio Technica AT-95. Very good first cartridge and, if I recall correctly, was recommended in the late 80s for budget decks. I had one when I first bought my Rega 2 in 1990, was happy with it for years until the upgrade bug started klicking in.

Get it for not much and see how you enjoy vinyl. Then move up to a Nagaoka (yes I had to mention them, it's the law!)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
+1 for AT-95

The AT-95, despite being cheap and cheerful, is a much better sounding cartridge than the Ortofon. You can get stylus upgrades too than can make it sound even better. I prefer the Audio-Technica sound to the Ortofon; the Ortofon is detailed but rather thin whereas the AT-95 just sounds right ie it's tonally balanced.

jimbofisher said:
Given your budget then the Audio Technica AT-95. Very good first cartridge and, if I recall correctly, was recommended in the late 80s for budget decks. I had one when I first bought my Rega 2 in 1990, was happy with it for years until the upgrade bug started klicking in.

Get it for not much and see how you enjoy vinyl. Then move up to a Nagaoka (yes I had to mention them, it's the law!)

I know, and beat you to it *biggrin* (do they do loyality points?)

However, AT-95 used to be recommended but haven't heard one for years, presumably still a good rewcommendation.

GP nick

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm going for the Audio Technica AT-95 cartridge for now. I am also fitting a pair of Btech BT77 speaker brackets for my Wharfdales, any thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts