What speakers should I choose for a Fatman itube?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a standard Fatman itube and I am seeking advice about which speakers might be most appropriate or suitable. One lead that I had was that the new Roth Audio Oli2s were excellent and represented good value, and are therefore 'better' than the more equivalent, but more pricey, BR2s from Monitor Audio. Is this the case? Another possible option is the Q Acoustic 1020s (I think). I think it's worth pointing out that I have no 'technical' knowledge at all and am seeking the advice of those who have! If anyone one can help I would be most grateful

Incidentally, I own some ancient, but rather cherished, B&W DM110s but I rather presumed that these would be completely unsuitable...

A

Anonymous

You need something very sensitive. It sounds fine with BR1s and the like, but even at max volume it isn't loud.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
What is your budget? I have not long ago heard your Fatman with Rega's R3 and it sounded good. Steer clear of plastic cones and stick to paper coned speakers of reasonable efficiency as the previous posting mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - I'll look at the Regas etc. I thought I spend up to £200 depending if it's worth it. Any head's up about the Oli2s?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
It really depends on the type of music you listen to. The itube is actually more powerful in the current production than when it was launched. It's actually 25 watts per channel, so any reasonably efficient pair of speakers will be plenty loud.

I also prefer speakers with simple crossovers. Rega and Epos comes to mind. (I'm starting to sound like Drummerman).

If you are into classical music, I would look into Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. They make beautiful music with the itube and would make a stunning budget system. You could listen to this system all day without fatigue.

Murdo Mathewson

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hello. The OLi2s are yet to be reviewed in the UK - I handle both Roth Audio and Fatman UK PR - but, as you may well already know, WHF has reviewed the OLi1s. The OLi1s received a five star rating, and I would suggest they are well worth testing with your Fatman amp. One great advantage with the OLi1s, is they still sound great when sitting close to a rear wall - if your room layout means you can't have your speakers sitting in free-space, then that's a really handy attribute.
Cheers.

[quote user="hatter"]
Thanks - I'll look at the Regas etc. I thought I spend up to £200 depending if it's worth it. Any head's up about the Oli2s?
[/quote]

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have just (last week) upgraded my kit from a Fatman iTube set-up that I used for 18 months.

I used Monitor Audio Bronze BR1s on Atacama (60cm high) stands with the blue cable provided in the iTube box.

All sounded very nice. The BR1s are just the right size and their efficiency was sufficient (89-90db) to get high enough (for me) volume levels when required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts