What speakers for new home cinema??

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello all

I'm about to invest in a new home cinema system and am starting almost from scratch. I've decided on a Denon 1911 or Onkyo 608 AV receiver, am awaiting the Philips 9705 to replace my current Philips (yes I'm the one that love's ambilight) and will probably upgrade my Sony bd370 Blue Ray at a later date. That leaves the speaker choice!

My hifi system is a Linn cd player and amp and Pro Ac 125 floor mounted speakers. They sound fabulous, but in truth are far too big (being twin back ported) for my lounge and will eventually have to go. The room is approx 8metres x 3.5metres. The tv is wall mounted above the fire place, which is flush with the wall and my sofa is against the wall opposite (3.5metres away). I want to spend about £1000 on the surround system and did think of B&W MT25's, but have been told that any system using just satelite speakers and a sub will sound thin and disappointing after the sound of the hifi system and I should look at full size fronts at least coupled to a surround system. This causes a problem for me with space as book shelf speakers would have to be stand mounted and thus eat into floor space.

Please help with any advice as to what speaker combination you think would work and thoughts about the MT25's as originally thought about.

Terry

jolls

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi, how about the possibility of useing all 7 channels of the Denon/Onkyo? This give should a more room filling sound.I am not sure if you could run 2 subs with the Denon but you can with the Onkyo. No doubt someone will post and advise further.

jolls

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks jolls

I had thought of that as an option, but space is still a major concern...............and I still really need help on whether I should go down the B&W MT25 system route too.

All the best

Terry

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Terry,

If you want to use your system for music as well as movies then it's advisable to look at full size standmount or floorstanding speakers rather than a sub/sat package.

Overall, decent full size speakers will always sound better than compact satellite speakers, so you need to decide where you stand on the style vs. performance front.

I'd audition the MT-25 package if I were you. According to the WHF review the greatest strength of this package is the integration between subwoofer and satellite speakers, making it more capable with music than other similarly priced compact 5.1 speaker packages. If you're not happy with the way it sounds then that should be a good indicator of how to proceed.

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you strapped for cash, I think that is the route I'm going to have to take to be sure of what I really want. This is a system predominantly for movies, though I will play music through it as well. Unless I hear it first hand though I'm not going to know either way so I think that's got to be my next move. Now I've got to find a retailer between Southampton and Brighton that can demo the MT25's and say the 684/5's for a comparison.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Terry with what you are looking at i feel you would get better value from sourcing 5 MK m5's and a KX12 sub. If you are able to act quickly you could get this £1800+ package for around £1036. a + b + 2Xc = the best value for money you will get. A few years ago I replaced a full size mission 752 , 75C + 751 + rel sub set up with an MK K series small sub/sat systems due to space and it was alot better.When i was looking to upgrade my MK K's i was informed by one dealer that i had already surpassed the Kef/ BW MT systems , The MK M's are better again i love my MK's. It unfortunate that it's not avaliable from one place for this price but the first dealer is not able to supply MK anymore hence the clearance price but what a bargin. For some info on MK links here.

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
v1c you may have just become my knight in shining armour, lol. Thank you for your advice, having now looked into thes m5's I think you have pointed me in the direction of a sure fire winner. My only concern now is where i can demo/buy them and also who makes the kx12? i have searched the net for stockists, but can find no one that advertises them............please help as i really think these sound perfect.

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Just to prove I do read messages thoroughly v1c I have now realised you have given me a link to the supplier and I have been in touch today, so thank you. One final question if I may. I see you have M7's and M4 rears, do you think these too large for the size of my room if I were able to find them at a reduced price as well?

Thanks again

Terry

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
v1c:Terry with what you are looking at i feel you would get better value from sourcing 5 MK m5's and a KX12 sub. If you are able to act quickly you could get this £1800+ package for around £1036. a + b + 2Xc = the best value for money you will get. A few years ago I replaced a full size mission 752 , 75C + 751 + rel sub set up with an MK K series small sub/sat systems due to space and it was alot better.When i was looking to upgrade my MK K's i was informed by one dealer that i had already surpassed the Kef/ BW MT systems , The MK M's are better again i love my MK's. It unfortunate that it's not avaliable from one place for this price but the first dealer is not able to supply MK anymore hence the clearance price but what a bargin. For some info on MK links here.

An excellent system recommended, V1C!

Nothing will beat it at this price or dare I say, a few notches above. Brilliant.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm a real Monitor Audio fan so I'll recommend the BR5 AV package which can now be had for well under £1000 (peter tyson have it for 861).

This means you'll have the great BR5s (small floorstanders) at the front which double up for stereo music. Can't comment on the BRFX surround speakers in the package as I have BR1s, but lots of people like this type of surround speaker.

These small floorstnders take up no more room than small speakers and their stands.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Terry i don't think the M7's would be to big for your room. I didn't suggest them as you were looking for smaller speaker so i only suggested M5 also you may find it hard to source cheaper M7's so would put you over the price you were suggesting if you can get M7's i would, however i don't think you would be dissapointed with M5's either so it's your chioce. M4T's will be great but you do need to have a small space between the seating and the wall in other words the M4T's can't be flush with the seating to get max benefit otherwise you will be better with the more standard style M5's. For info a , b + 2Xc are links in previous post and a + b are only at these prices because the supplier is no longer able to stock MK and is clearing the stock once they are gone they won't be back at that price. The normal subs for the M series is either MK SB8 or MK SB12 however the MK KX12 according to my dealer is essentially an SB12 minus the gloss coat in other words the difference is negligible hence you still get the great performance at less price which is why i went with a KX12 other wise i would have had an SB12.

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments and advice it has been really helpful. I have now spoken to Dave at Frank Harvey's v1c and am desperately trying to get the time to get up there this weekend for a listen. I shall keep you posted as to what I decide on, and in the meantime will gladly take on board any other advice anyone is willing to offer. At the moment though it's a 2 horse race between the MK's and the MA's so again thank you all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts