WHAT ROUTER?

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-LX55 Amplifier/receiver & a set of Kef speakers. One of the reason behind the amp choice was to be able to play my music collection using Airplay, and this is where my problem starts! I have btinternet connected through a HomeHub2, and i can never get the airplay symbol on my computer or ipad unless i re-boot the hub. Then it lasts for between 5 and 30 minutes. Having scoured the internet about this issue, i found that all fingers are pointing at BT's free but relatively useless router. So, boys & girls, my question is this: What would be the best wireless router to replace the HomeHub? Preferably a one box make, i.e a modem router, that will not drop the wireless connection. My amp is hard-wired to the router and i have an Alienware laptop & Ipad connected wirelessly.

Would an Apple Airport Extreme be any good? I know i would have to use the HomeHub as the modem.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Are there too many routers in your area? How's your internet? Does it disconnect frequently? Speak to BT technical support. If there's any problem with your router, they can replace it free of charge. I don't think the problem is because of the brand of the router you're using (Home Hub 2).

Paul.

If you want an easy to use powerful router, it's hard to beat. As typical with apple kit it doesn't have some of the more obscure stuff IT types like, but for the everyday user it's great.

Its worth noting that as a PC user, you would be limited to FAT 32 file system if you want to plug a hard disk in to the USB slot. This means 4GB max individual file size.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not just with BT routers - it is common with all routers including airport express as well.

Turn off DHCP on your devices and assign static addresses - eg

router 192.168.0.1

mac 192.168.0.10

receiver 192.168.0.11

Ipad 192.168.0.12

etc

keep subnet as 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway will be router address.

Sorry for ever-so-slightly hi-jacking the thread.

Mmmm, this is interesting. I currently use TalkTalk's own freebie one. Fine for basic PC needs (for about 9 or 10 months then it dies).

Given that I'll be introducing some form of streaming in the not too distant, is there any one 'killer' router that'll cover all my needs without the need to change within the 12 month period?

Paul.

plastic penguin said:
I currently use TalkTalk's own freebie one. Fine for basic PC needs (for about 9 or 10 months then it dies).

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Ahem. I had all sorts of Airplay problems with talk talk (tried the Huwai and Dlink), tried static IP, tried moving the router closer (even tried building a tinfoil parabolic reflector) and no luck. Got a slightly better D-Link and everything is fine with no special settings.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Sorry for ever-so-slightly hi-jacking the thread.

Mmmm, this is interesting. I currently use TalkTalk's own freebie one. Fine for basic PC needs (for about 9 or 10 months then it dies).

Given that I'll be introducing some form of streaming in the not too distant, is there any one 'killer' router that'll cover all my needs without the need to change within the 12 month period?

Hi PP

I had the same questions a year ago and following loads of research bought the Billion 7800N wireless router. The reviews are all excellent and I can recommend it.

The most startling benefit was that it pulled twice the speed out my BT exchange compared to my old router. The wireless signal is also far superior.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts