What represents overall best value for money?

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
a) Denon 3800BD for £649

b) Sony 5000ES for £1078

Majority of use is SD.

Basically, an A or B answer!!
emotion-2.gif

I know there is a percentage of people (including many WHF staff) that rate the Sony higher, but at £649, is the Denon "a steal"?? (If anything that costs £649 can be called "a steal"!)

A

Anonymous

Audition both and if you feel the sony is worth over half as much again as the Denon then buy that. Otherwise buy the Denon.

You may find everyone who replies says A, but when you listen you disagree

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
That's interesting. There was a time when the Denon was considered the greatest player on the planet! I'm quite surprised, especially as the Realta chip is arguably the best for upscaling SD. Hang on, it's sounding like I'm trying to convince myself.....

Is the Sony really THAT much better??!?!

D

Deleted member 2457

Greatest player on the planet - yeah right???????????

A

Anonymous

Richer sounds have the sony for £899.95 at the moment which may sway your decision .

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I don't know, actually! I've been having a read-up on the "expert review" sites. Whereas they're pretty unanimous in saying that sonically, it's an amazing player, they're also unanimous in saying it gets pipped in the video processing department, which to me is utterly critical. I'd rely on my Onkyo 876 to come up with the goods in the sound department to close the gap a little. (there I go, trying to convince myself again......maybe I'm just a Denon fan...)

Maybe I should throw the LX71 into the mix now that Gel's logged on!

D

Deleted member 2457

Hey Davo2008 where's your signature, you have been a member for over a year now?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts