Upgrading dead front L&R speakers

MrBrickFish

May 2, 2011
Visit site
[EDITED by MODS - please refer to House Rules - duplicate posts are not to be made to different areas of the site]

Our lounge has a 5.1 system based around an Onkyo TX-SR607 AV amp and Mission surround speakers dating from the early noughties. The Mission 773s floorstanders which make up the front left and right channels are now obviously damaged, (paper cones ripped and coming away from the bodies for the bass/mid drivers). There is also a Rel subwoofer.

At the time the system was purchased, the kids were toddlers : Careful selection and hence sound quality were not top of the agenda.

In recent years this has changed, two previous Sony AV amps gave way to the Onkyo and flac via Sonos fed via coaxial digital replacing very very early adoption of MP3s fed via analogue from old laptops. I’ve also been experimenting with hires music and envisage tweeks in coming years such as DACs and maybe a dedicated stereo music amp etc. In short sound quality for stereo music playback is once again important. Improvements to the acceptable surround sound are less so.

In short I’m looking for a new pair of speakers to replace the 773s. As a starting point, I’m looking at the 5* ones recommended by WHF. They can either be floorstanding or stand mounted. For example I’m looking at the Q Acoustics Concept 20. However, all the reviews suggest that the dedicated stands are required for best results. I have a slight hesitance spending about £200 out of a total £550 on the stands.

I’m aware that swapping out 2 speakers out of a 5.1 system can be undesirable. I will obviously re-run the calibration procedures. While on this topic, once the Onkyo replaced the Sony amp the central dialogue channel seemed much more prominent and I’d previously pondered upgrading this speaker since the majority of “TV” sound was coming through this route. I could take this opportunity to change this speaker as well. (Current one is a Mission 77c). The Q Acoustics 2000Ci would seem a reasonable starting point to match the short listed speakers.

I’m looking for advice, comments and suggestions….

I do not have a particular budget in mind. “several hundred pounds”. Overall value/return for money is more important than absolute cost.

I tend to listen to a wide range of music but Bowie and U2 feature highly.

Many thanks

Sean

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MrBrickFish said:
I’m aware that swapping out 2 speakers out of a 5.1 system can be undesirable. I will obviously re-run the calibration procedures. While on this topic, once the Onkyo replaced the Sony amp the central dialogue channel seemed much more prominent and I’d previously pondered upgrading this speaker since the majority of “TV” sound was coming through this route. I could take this opportunity to change this speaker as well. (Current one is a Mission 77c).

Could and indeed should, it is not recommended to have a centre channel speaker from a different manufacturer to the front L&R. That would probably drop the Concept 20's out in that case as there is no equivalent centre channel.

TRENDING THREADS