What piece to upgrade next?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding what I'll get the most benefit out of upgrading on my system. It's pulling double duty as a home theater and general music player.

I just got a Rega RP3 TT and a NAD PP-2i pre-amp, so I was looking at either adding an AMP for the whole sytem, upgrading my speakers, or my receiver.

I have an Onkyo RC260 and Polk TSi400 speakers. The speakers currently have both sets of front channels going into them, so they have Onkyo's claimed 200w into each speaker (I can't imagine that's continuous)...

What do you think will get me the biggest bump in great sound. I would probably look to spend no more than $2000-$3000 US...

Thanks!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Apologies, not familiar with your current speakers, but as a rule the biggest improvement to be had is through a change of loud speakers and with that budget you should be able to pick up something pretty good.

Mac

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mac! I've been reading similar. I guess my thought was that my current speakers are rated for 200W @ 8ohms, so I'm thinking I'm probably underpowering them.

I just don't believe that my receiver is putting out 100W @8ohms continuously per channel, you know? I didn't pay that much for it.

I was wondering if I could get more out of my current speakers by getting a nice amp and improve speakers down the road... Something that would push a continuous 200+W at 8ohms and more at 4 if I decide to get some really nice speakers...

TRENDING THREADS