Iota VX stack... hypothetical upgrade to what?

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I owe this stack a lot... not only did it show me that yes, my speakers are great but also that I'm not crazy, chasing a particular sound profile that doesn't exist. I like how it fills up my floorstanders that were until then anemic. I also love the warmer/darker sound of the stack, but I still have it with +2 bass and treble (but I mostly listen at low levels). Oh, and the monoblock thing is great.

I was thinking about upgrading my Dac from an Ares II to a Pontus II because sometime the Ares is a bit thin sounding and because one must burn money from time to time :eek::ROFLMAO:

And just for the fun of it, what would be a good upgrade to the Iota, with a similar sound profile but more of it?

Oh and a more serious question... the DACs have XLR out but the Iota is only RCA in. Am I missing anything because of that, or should I just forget it?

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I really like these amps and I think it would take an upgrade of the DAC to at least a Venus, plus replace the speakers for equivalently priced ones for the Iota to be the bottleneck. Just wondering though, as I think I now have a more clear idea of which direction to upgrade and doesn't seem the one most people take.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
You have to understand that you are now at the point of diminishing returns and spending a few hundred quid here and there isn’t really going make much of difference if any at all. These differences are going to be very subtle.

Having said that.

I’ve read, haven’t heard mind you that iota as a brand has a similar sound profile to naim, ex naim designers I believe . And naim have many different options in their line up including dacs that all work extremely well together but a naim stack can be quite the exspensive undertaking that can’t always be done one box at a time.

I’d argue that upgrading your dac will not give you that much benefit tbh as the differences are so small as it is, at least in my experience, that little difference will be glazed over by the “lack” of resolution that the rest of system is able to produce.

If it were me I’d look for an amp with an EQ such as direc live NAD for instance includes this. This is where you’ll notice major improvements in sound, even through budget speakers. As it mostly sorts out any room irregularities. Improving clarity and tone giving you a completely different insight on your music, tv and muisc.

That’s where I’d start and go from there

Reactions: Kutusov

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
If it were me I’d look for an amp with an EQ such as direc live NAD for instance includes this. This is where you’ll notice major improvements in sound, even through budget speakers. As it mostly sorts out any room irregularities. Improving clarity and tone giving you a completely different insight on your music, tv and muisc.

That’s where I’d start and go from there

Thanks for that! Naim and Exposure are sort of my preconceived answers to my own question. NAD I would have to listen to those, being class D amps... that's something I have no experience with although I heard some wonderful things about the Marantz Model 30.

As to DACs, it's one of those things... I hear most people saying they make very little diference. In my experience the Ares II made as much of a diference if not more than upgrading the amp. My ears are probably in worst shape than most, so no golden ears here but to me even cables can make noticeable diference. I wish it wasn't the case, it would be cheaper but I can't get away from it. :oops:

It would also be great to audition hybrid amps from the likes of Vincent or Magnat. I have a feeling I would love those...

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for that! Naim and Exposure are sort of my preconceived answers to my own question. NAD I would have to listen to those, being class D amps... that's something I have no experience with although I heard some wonderful things about the Marantz Model 30.

As to DACs, it's one of those things... I hear most people saying they make very little diference. In my experience the Ares II made as much of a diference if not more than upgrading the amp. My ears are probably in worst shape than most, so no golden ears here but to me even cables can make noticeable diference. I wish it wasn't the case, it would be cheaper but I can't get away from it. :oops:

It would also be great to audition hybrid amps from the likes of Vincent or Magnat. I have a feeling I would love those...

dont get me wrong there are differences but it depends on the person as to weather those differences are worth the cost. And buying more expensive is no guarantee of better in the case

room eq/treatment is where the biggest differences lay.
As is always the case listen to the options that you have available to you.

Reactions: Kutusov

TRENDING THREADS