What next?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Heres my system,

Project Debut 3 Turntable with Ortofon OMB5

Cambridge Audio Azur 540a Amp

Cambridge Audio Azur 540c Cd

TDL Nucleus KV1 speakers bi wired on stands.

Any advice on improving my budget system is welcome I listen to Rock/Indie mainly.

It's not a bad budget system but I don't know how to / what to upgrade

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chris lowe"]
Swoosta, what cables are you using?

[/quote]Hi, Speaker cable is Gale Electronics xl160

The Audio connects are QED QUNEX 2

A

Anonymous

i sugest u get some better speaker cable i would spend £5 to £10 per metre , the QED QUNEX 2 are good but i would get a Cambridge Audio AZUR REFERENCE 0.75M as i find it better and i will bring sinergy to your sistem as it did to mine ( 540 cd,640 amp)

A

Anonymous

How much difference would it make upgrading the speaker cable?

A

Anonymous

a lot of diference like night an day but u need to gon fram cheap cable to real good cable i whent from gale £2 per metre to ixos £10 per metre

A

Anonymous

look in to QED X-Tube XT300 in around the 10 pounds per mt

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Get a power amp, and biamp it with QED Silver Anniversary XT. It will make a significant difference to melody, separation of instruments, clarity, detail etc etc

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello swoosta,have you thought about upgrading the stylus on your project 3,a good choice is the om10 or 20,

it will slot nicely on your existing cartridge and will give you an a/b comparison with your cd.you may find no need to change any of your cables i suppose it depends on which source you listen to more often.the cables you use at the moment are decent enough given your system i use gale speaker cable and qed interconncts

and am very happy with the sound they produce.new speaker cables and interconnects can be quite pricey on the upgrade path but a new stylus for your tt would not be.by all means consider different cables but have a demo,sometimes what you here is different not necessarily better.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]gale £2 per metre to ixos £10 per metre[/quote]
Hi my Italiano friend.....when it come to speakers cable, the more expensive doesn't mean better! but yes, i agree that gale is a bit weedy in sound.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Get a power amp, and biamp it with QED Silver Anniversary XT. It will make a significant difference to melody, separation of instruments, clarity, detail etc etc[/quote]

I'm not sure how to biamp can you give some details

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="swoosta"]
[quote user="JoelSim"]Get a power amp, and biamp it with QED Silver Anniversary XT. It will make a significant difference to melody, separation of instruments, clarity, detail etc etc[/quote]

[/quote]

I always buy 1 good amp or pre/power rather than bi-amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="swoosta"]

[/quote]

I always buy 1 good amp or pre/power rather than bi-amp.

[/quote]

This is all foreign to me, can someone give me some heads-up about using anything else other than an amp connected to the speakers, I don't know about bi amping pre amps?

A

Anonymous

Stop worrying,get some better speakers, forget all this speaker cables and interconnect malarky.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="swoosta"]

How much difference would it make upgrading the speaker cable?

[/quote]

Nothing,zero,zilch,cables make minute differences,and yes I have expensive ones,change your speakers,the Cambridge kit can take a much better pair of quality standmounters.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="sex"]gale £2 per metre to ixos £10 per metre[/quote]
Hi my Italiano friend.....when it come to speakers cable, the more expensive doesn't mean better! but yes, i agree that gale is a bit weedy in sound.
[/quote]

thaiman man dont worry i got those cables so that when i will get the hi-fi i want i wont need to upgrade and in the mean time i can make the most of what i have i see a win win situation

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello again swoosta,i hope by now you are not getting confused by the upgrade path,1st cables and ic's then a new stylus then biamping then speakers,bloody hell it's enough to make you think sod it i'll buy a little all in one and be done with it,but don't give up, some advice is better than other's but only you can decide.have to agree with silly though.your cambridge kit can take better speakers,the tdl's are ok but there is much better for not much money,by the way how did you get on with your tt.the om5 should track at 1.5 grams,to do this level the arm so it floats about 1mm above the platter turn dial to zero set tracking force to 1.5 or 1.75,a bit more will track better in the groove of the record set anti skate to tracking force,on the project the line sits in the notched groove put it on 2 listen if sounds ok leave if not put on 1,you may have to experiment with this.i think the best advice i can give is make sure your kit is set up right,good stand connections right way round and listen to any changes over the next couple of months,your kit may not have run in yet and you may be pleased by the sound it produces and it's free.good luck.

A

Anonymous

I may upgrade speakers sometime, now...stands or floorstanders!?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]
hello again swoosta,i hope by now you are not getting confused by the upgrade path,1st cables and ic's then a new stylus then biamping then speakers,bloody hell it's enough to make you think sod it i'll buy a little all in one and be done with it,but don't give up, some advice is better than other's but only you can decide.have to agree with silly though.your cambridge kit can take better speakers,the tdl's are ok but there is much better for not much money,by the way how did you get on with your tt.the om5 should track at 1.5 grams,to do this level the arm so it floats about 1mm above the platter turn dial to zero set tracking force to 1.5 or 1.75,a bit more will track better in the groove of the record set anti skate to tracking force,on the project the line sits in the notched groove put it on 2 listen if sounds ok leave if not put on 1,you may have to experiment with this.i think the best advice i can give is make sure your kit is set up right,good stand connections right way round and listen to any changes over the next couple of months,your kit may not have run in yet and you may be pleased by the sound it produces and it's free.good luck.
[/quote]

On the project is groove 1 the one nearest the stylus? ..Also what dial ?

A

Anonymous

Can you expand on that?......you think changing cables will be of more benefit than changing to better speakers?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="swoosta"]I may upgrade speakers sometime, now...stands or floorstanders!?[/quote]

I would stick to high quality standmounters,B&W,Revolvers,etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts