What makes a good CDP good?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Since watching this video, I'm currious to hear your thoughts gents.

I only have one request. No "all digital/CD sounds the same" talk.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
A stunnig look and a correct functionning dac, this all paired with first class aftersale service. This is already a very good cd player ; when you can have first class material and components for the touch and love of quality, this is the best. I like specially the champain ones with wood cases. So sexy.

1997_dcds10ii.jpg

7386157_orig.jpg

dp-800_r.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
They're an inconvenient outdated technology which has been surpassed by music files that are ripped from the CD and stored/accessed in other newer and more convenient ways.

However what make a CD player competent? Well any CD player should be be audibly transparent, simple to use, look smart and most importantly of all it should be cheap enough so that when it eventually breaks it doesn't matter.

There's no need for a CD player to cost more than £100 these days. Anything more than this is either audiophoolery or bling (bling is fair enough though if you don't mind paying extra for something that's built like a battleship).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Not all CD players have cheap cd mechanisms like the one in the video but not surprised as its made in China i try not to buy anything from China if I can help it but these days it's hard to know what parts of the products are made in China . But yes makes you think what under the bonnet

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If all cdp, amps etc had all the internal.parts listed and priced up in reviews so we can see for our selves which products are over priced per performance ratio.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes it would. But, in fact, in serious magazines and portals, it is. It's typical of german magazines reviews to have a look at the inside with some basical components described. It's one of the two last reason to buy magazines anyway.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If all cdp, amps etc had all the internal.parts listed and priced up in reviews so we can see for our selves which products are over priced per performance ratio.

They will never do that, they are promoting hifi.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Vladimir said:
I only have one request. No "all digital/CD sounds the same" talk.

Is "audibly transparent" allowed?

As long as you accept "your system isn't audibly transparent" as an answer to your "it all sounds fine and good for me from this pricepoint onwards". And you know how that discussion will end. TrevC bitchslaps world religions, I'm told to die in a ditch, and you get to have a 'technical' discussion with lindsayt about membranes.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Vladimir said:
Why did Sony, Denon, Pioneer or Philips bothered to make 20kg CDPs back in the day if the transport and good structural support against vibrations didn't matter? Obviously something to it.

Because of the same reason you can buy bi-wiring ready loudspeaker or manufactured silverplated loudspeaker cables with criogenic threatment, that all packed in biological cotton for energetic transmission. Peoples will buy that and they will be ok to spend more money for that. I will not say it makes a difference you will be able to hear, but it will be a difference you will be able to write down in your tech chart and make your product more special. Specially in the hifi war back then, lots of buyers looked at those tech charts. In adding to that, lots of users where coming out of the vinyl player era and stayed to their vinyl standards when buying high-end cd player. So the high-end stuff needed to be heavy and to have a minimum of vibration for the disc... even if it brings nothing.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
There's no need for a CD player to cost more than £100 these days. Anything more than this is either audiophoolery or bling (bling is fair enough though if you don't mind paying extra for something that's built like a battleship).

What if the DAC inside is as good as a Hugo DAC at £1200? What if it has two of these inside. On the DACs alone it would be worth over £2000.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
Good transport as a base to build the rest around. Anything with a Phillips CD Pro2 is a good starting point.

Which players use that?

Bel Canto, Chord Electronics and Audio Research amongst others.

Also my Electrocompaniet EMC1UP uses the cd pro 2 mech fixed to an 8kg electomechanical cancellation system to eliminate internal and external vibration.

The Phillips Cd pro 2 mech costs between $450 and $500 on it own before you start building the rest of the Cd player.

http://www.encosystems.net/product/philips-cd-pro-2/

The main reason for better sound from a Cd player imo is the quality of the analogue output stage which in my case is a discrete class A fully balanced output that is very similar to an Electrocompaniet pre amp but without the volume control .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts