What is the meaning of high-end speakers?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
Totally disagree.

The best speakers I have heard are the B&W 800D. They may cost a lot more than the material cost, but quality wise, fantastic.

*although they are a fraction under 20K :)

(And I imagine they would be mindblowing if they did an active version!)

I agree with you.....I've heard some pretty impressive Focals, which were (imo) a long way from frivolous jewelry.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Jame5 said:
I think the term has to attach to expensive speakers that are justifiably expensive in performance terms. On that basis I'd include great speakers from 5-15k. Above that is more b***end than high end.

+1

I agree. For high end sound quality you only need to spend a maximum of around £5-15K. Anything over £20K is just overpriced hifi jewellry IMO.

I totally agree. Five pounds is all you need to spend for high end sound - depending upon how lucky you are in finding equipment.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
Totally disagree.

The best speakers I have heard are the B&W 800D. They may cost a lot more than the material cost, but quality wise, fantastic.

I can understand why some people would like the 800D's a lot. I found them a bit boring and restrained - especially when playing Led Zeppelin.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I (or perhaps I should say we) heard a mid - fi system in Eton: dCS > VTL > Tellurium Q Graphite > Utopias. What struck me was I kept looking behind us - it was like listening to a surround system! IMO spending more can produce better SQ but never guarantees it. It would be most interesting to know just how many pairs of these seriously "High End" speakers see the light of day: 10? 1?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:

Is it the price? Is it the brand? Is it the materials made of?

Will all experts/audiophiles agree?

Could someone provide me a representative list for each category?

Thanks

It's not brand - many just associate certain brands with "high end", like Sonus Faber for example, but they also make sub £2k speakers, so can they truly be considered a "high end" brand? There are several (what would be classed as) non high end manufacturers that make a product that is more than worthy of being classed as high end.

High end is over engineering, much of the time using expensive, exotic materials - sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. The design (both visually and physically) itself will usually have some merit to it, maybe taking an approach that would just be too expensive to take on a budget. As already mentioned, value for money isn't a phrase that would be associated with a high end product.

High end = excess

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
L00k_C said:

Is it the price? Is it the brand? Is it the materials made of?

Will all experts/audiophiles agree?

Could someone provide me a representative list for each category?

Thanks

It's not brand - many just associate certain brands with "high end", like Sonus Faber for example, but they also make sub £2k speakers, so can they truly be considered a "high end" brand? There are several (what would be classed as) non high end manufacturers that make a product that is more than worthy of being classed as high end.

High end is over engineering, much of the time using expensive, exotic materials - sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. The design (both visually and physically) itself will usually have some merit to it, maybe taking an approach that would just be too expensive to take on a budget. As already mentioned, value for money isn't a phrase that would be associated with a high end product.

High end = excess

I feel that at the curent time this is a reasonable 'definition' of high-end but I do not think this was always the case. Back in the 90's, when I was still a dealer the term was coming into more general use, for a time it meant something a little different. Let me explain.

To me, hi-fi is a term that has become completely debased, even supermarket TVs and the speakers in some smartphones now boast 'hi-fi' sound if you read the hype. Most of us see through this pretty quickly but applying the term to the vast bulk of modern equipment that clutter up dealers shelves and dominate forums like this is just as bad.

In the 'old days' cheap audio equipment was easily recognised, it was called a stereo gram,a ghetto blaster or a music centre, these days it is dressed up as 'systems' (micro, midi, network and the rest) and even as 'hi-fi separates' by major manufacturers.

To my mind it is nothing but cheap, commoditised audio, just another mass market toy for the largely undiscerning punter. It may be bristling with modern technology but at the end of the day it is, to be reasonably kind, just another mass market product sold largely on price.

For a time, high-end meant something different, it wasn't just high price, in fact the terms 'budget' and 'entry level' high-end were used for equipment that was actually quite realistically priced. No, what it referred to was equipment built by 'serious' manufacturers who were genuinely trying to produce the best performing products that they could within their design brief.

In the US brands like Rega and Creek were described as (entry level) high-end for this very reason, products designed and produced with integrity and marketed without the hype associated with more mainstream brands. It was in some ways a a little like the old days, when proper hi-fi equipment was sought out by the more discerning enthusiast and the great unwashed bought their radio grams, their music centres and their Dansettes.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Sunny98007 said:
I think high-end means over 95% audiophiles agree the speaker can produce more than 95% of the real sound.

I think 95% of audiophiles agreeing on anything = virtual reality. ;) And it would make the forum pretty boring!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
fr0g said:
Totally disagree.

I agree with you.....I've heard some pretty impressive Focals, which were (imo) a long way from frivolous jewelry.

I agree too, I have heard Focal Scala Utopia's which sounded incredible. I have also demoed Revel Ultima Salon 2's which are out and out the best speaker I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Both speakers list for the best part of £20k, and both are better described as a technical tour de force in speaker design than "frivolous jewelry".

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
steve_1979 said:
DocG said:
Sunny98007 said:
I think high-end means over 95% audiophiles agree the speaker can produce more than 95% of the real sound.

I think 95% of audiophiles agreeing on anything = virtual reality. ;) And it would make the forum pretty boring!

I disagree.

I don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

:)

Thats great, I've not watched any Python in years, that had me laughing out loud at my desk! :cheers:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
steve_1979 said:
DocG said:
Sunny98007 said:

I disagree.

I don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

:)

Well you're wrong too. :p

No, he isn't!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts