What is the meaning of high-end speakers?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
What is the meaning of high-end speakers?

Is it the price? Is it the brand? Is it the materials made of?

Will all experts/audiophiles agree?

Could someone provide me a representative list for each category?

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It means never having to say you can't afford it...

,1-N-44123-3.jpg

opera_only_tiny_speakers.jpg

cliche26.jpg

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Depends on your budget.

And your ears. If you're as deaf as a post, a 5 quid pair of speakers is a waste. If you have the ears of a symphony orchestra conductor a 5 grand pair can be inadequate.

And at the risk of offending the Kylie fans....:)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I think its based on performance, which generally correlates, and can be approximated by, price (not always mind - many expensive items don't necessarily perform better than their cheaper counter parts).

I don't believe it is based on budget, and certainly most people would agree £200 isn't going to be high end (unless we're talking banana plugs!).

I believe that you have to consider the sliding scale of performance/price. If you take the two extremes, say for example the bargain basement budget version of an item might be, for arguments sake say, £20, and the most expensive example is, say, £100,000. You then would logically expect to apportion particular sections if that price range into performance/price categories (such as budget, entry level, mid-range etc). You would not necessarily expect all sections to be of equal size either - most would agree performance of audio items tends to be affected by the law of diminishing returns, which gets more severe the higher up the price scale you go. So for example where the 'budget' section could be £20-£100, the 'extreme ultra high end' section could be £40,000-£100,000.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or whether you wanted someone to actually tell you that, say for speakers, what specifc range might be considered 'high end' and the same for power amps etc etc - that is something few of us are well versed enough in audio gear to answer, and something that is probably going to cause disagreement.

As always, just my 2p worth . . .

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It is simply about price.

'High end' is a term used to imply excellence and exclusivity and is used to justify the cost, it is always relatively expensive, sometimes with good reason and at other times not so.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you could ask 10 people, and get 10 differing answers.

IMO:

- They are always very expensive

- Can often be a design statement

- It's not a guarantee of great performance, or that you will even like them.

- Usually have exotic materials

- Can be poor VFM, especially the really expensive stuff

- Often pretty exclusive, due to low numbers that are sold, or limited production run.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you could ask 10 people, and get 10 differing answers.

IMO:

- They are always very expensive

- Can often be a design statement

- It's not a guarantee of great performance, or that you will even like them.

- Usually have exotic materials

- Can be poor VFM, especially the really expensive stuff

- Often pretty exclusive, due to low numbers that are sold, or limited production run.

So these are usually 'strange' unkown brands?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:

I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in.....most folk don't investigate this sort of stuff, and most dealers don't stock it (unsurprisingly).

Mainstream brands can have a concept model, like the Kef Muon for example.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
L00k_C said:

I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in.....most folk don't investigate this sort of stuff, and most dealers don't stock it (unsurprisingly).

So comparatively KEF MUON is high-end but as for the brand KEF it is not considered a high-end brand?

Same with ProArc Carbon Pro 8 speaker? or is this 'cheap' compared to MUON?

Is it also a 'relative' question on which speakers you compare with? Where do you draw the line? (if you can do that, that is?)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Could someone provide me a representative list for each category?

Thanks

I see none of us (myself included) have plucked up the courage to offer any suggestions for this part of the OP's question. I'll start the ball rolling and offer some options (in no particular order) others can chime in and label them either budget, entry level, mid range, high end, or ultra high end (feel free to offer alternatives):

Monitor Audio BX1

Revel Ultima Salon 2

Kef Reference 205/2

Monitor Audio RX6

Focal Grand Utopia III

ProAc Response D18

PMC Twenty 22

Wharfdale Diamond 10.0

Tannoy Revoluton DC6T

This is just for fun, so no one should take this seriously(!!!). Let the fun commence . . .

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
L00k_C said:
CnoEvil said:
L00k_C said:

So comparatively KEF MUON is high-end but as for the brand KEF it is not considered a high-end brand?

Is it also a 'relative' question on which speakers you compare with? Where do you draw the line? (if you can do that, that is?)

I don't think it relates to brand per SE, more to product - well know manufacturers like Kef, Monitor Audio etc etc offer products which cover most 'categories' I believe.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

I consider high-end to start at about £20k.....but that is very personal.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

It is a very tricky in for sure - I think speakers such as B&W 800 Diamonds, PMC BB5i's or Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario's should be considered high end, but all are under £20k list price.

http://hifilounge.co.uk/image/cache/data/sonusfaber/homage/aa/Amati_1-675x500.jpghttp://hifilounge.co.uk/image/cache/data/sonusfaber/homage/aa/amati2-675x500.jpghttp://hifilounge.co.uk/image/cache/data/sonusfaber/homage/aa/amati2-675x500.jpg

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Chewy said:
L00k_C said:
CnoEvil said:
L00k_C said:

I don't think it relates to brand per SE, more to product - well know manufacturers like Kef, Monitor Audio etc etc offer products which cover most 'categories' I believe.

How about let say MAGICO? Isn't it by default a high-end brand?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Chewy said:
CnoEvil said:

It is a very tricky in for sure - I think speakers such as B&W 800 Diamonds, PMC BB5i's or Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario's should be considered high end, but all are under £20k list price.

I suppose I'm taking "high-end" to mean "ultra high-end"....if there are two seperate categories here, then I agree.

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
Whilst there are some six figure speakers, I would regard high end to start at about £10k.

It's not just the cost but the manufacturer, design and most, importantly, what they sound like!

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Chewy said:
CnoEvil said:

I suppose I'm taking "high-end" to mean "ultra high-end"....if there are two seperate categories here, then I agree.

I agree, I don't think 'high end' is the end of it, I think there is an 'ultra high end' or however you want to label it, also, there may also be another category after that where the million pound products sit?? Who knows?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
L00k_C said:

Is that per item or for the total system cost?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts